View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #12
tpbrady
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
We have been in all the bays on the west side of Kuiu Island several times. We spent one night in the back of the Bay of Pillars in the fork to the south. I don't recall any problems going in or coming out as the Active Captain comments were pretty accurate, but I think we did it around slack tide. At the head of the bay is a short trail with an old marker on it that leads up to an old logging road. We only went east on the road and got to the upper end of Port Camden. Rowan Bay has access to the logging roads on Kuiu Island also. The logging roads are about the easiest way to take a long hike or better yet bike ride if you carry one on the boat. Tebenkof Bay has so many places to anchor I think you could spend a week there and never anchor in the same place twice. South of Frederick Sound swell heights to increase as you head south. We have done the trip around Cape Decision several times and as you get south of Port Malmesbury you could see the direction of the swells switch around to the west. We've been to the Coronation Islands a couple of times and have had to endure short period swells on the starboard beam. Last summer we bailed into Port Malmesbury for two nights when the forecast and actual conditions didn't match. 15 and 3 became 25 and alot.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote