Pop up ads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Any other TF members, while signed in, getting pop up ads?

Weird...has never happened before.

A while back I was having a problem on TF with them. I installed Clearly and no problem since.

Murray, are you logged into TF when the pop up happens. I ask because the last win 10 update caused a computer to forget the auto login and when I click on an email TF link it would take me to the topic but pop ups alerted me I was not logged in.

Greetings,
Mr. MM. Yes. Seems like "Cindy" only lives 3 blocks away from me and wants to be my friend....

No, it something in your computer, download Superantispyware, its free. I run it about one a week, gets rid of spy ware which is what you have. Don't freak the first time you run it, it might find something like 1700 + spyware on your computer.

I only run the free one which means you have to manual update. I've been using this software for over ten or fifteen years:

https://www.superantispyware.com/

No, it something in your computer, download Superantispyware, its free. I run it about one a week, gets rid of spy ware which is what you have. Don't freak the first time you run it, it might find something like 1700 + spyware on your computer.

I only run the free one which means you have to manual update. I've been using this software for over ten or fifteen years:

https://www.superantispyware.com/

If that’s the case, it’s attached to the TF site because TF is the only website I frequent which has suddenly started popping up ads.

They claim to be “Ad’s by Google”...I haven’t clicked on any (preferring to hit the back button to get out of that particular page) because you can get viruses by clicking links, especially in emails.

Greetings,
Mr. C. Re: Post #9. Howdy neighbour.

iu

If that’s the case, it’s attached to the TF site because TF is the only website I frequent which has suddenly started popping up ads.

They claim to be “Ad’s by Google”...I haven’t clicked on any (preferring to hit the back button to get out of that particular page) because you can get viruses by clicking links, especially in emails.

That is what I was getting a while ago. It was just TF. I got Clearly and it took care of it.

Murray, where exactly are these ads popping up..? In the general thread space, or over to the left above the 'latest posts' list. Why I ask is I put Adblock on for a time, but found that sort of barred me from some other sites I use, because they rely on the ads for revenue to run the site, but they only pop up in that left column anyway, so easily ignored anyway. I don't have them popping up in the main thread space, so I took Adblock off. I still only get them in that left column. However, if I access the site on the iPhone, I do get ads popping up between actual posts in the thread space. However, because everything is so tiny in the iPhone I seldom use it to access the forum - would rather use the iPad, which behaves the same way as the MacBook Air I normally use.

So, it might have something to do with your browser settings changing, (eg after an update), and you should be able to stop those ads without actually using a specific app like Adblock..?

There are some really nice people on here.

Hi Peter,

We've been painting and rearranging our computer workspace, so I've been using an iPad Air which is where the pop ups happened. Main computer and MacBook now up & running, so will keep an eye on those. I use the iPad Air quite regularly, so it isn't something that's been lurking for a while.

The pop ups wouldn't appear in the main forum page, but when I clicked on a thread. The ad would 'float' in the centre of the screen, even if I scrolled the thread behind it. If I hit the back button, then clicked the thread again the pop up disappeared. Totally random and happened about 10% to 20% of the time.

......... I've been using an iPad Air which is where the pop ups happened. Main computer and MacBook now up & running, so will keep an eye on those.

Are you seeing them on the iPad, PC, or Mac? Any one specifically, or all three?

Are you logged onto the web site or to the App when you're on the iPad?

Does the iPad have the same Ad-Blocker software as the PC or Mac?

Are you seeing them on the iPad, PC, or Mac? Any one specifically, or all three?

Are you logged onto the web site or to the App when you're on the iPad?

Does the iPad have the same Ad-Blocker software as the PC or Mac?

iPad only. I'll do an update and see if the ads are still there.

Ah well, still there after an update.

Appears to be limited to just my iPad and nobody else's computer, so you may as well stand down for a bit while I try to ferret out an answer for myself.

Thanks for checking in on me.

Last edited:
Any other TF members, while signed in, getting pop up ads?

I was too. ALthough several years ago but none of those ads pop up since.

I also installed it on my tablet, same reason.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom