New from PDX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnO

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tsula
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 42
Hey all - My wife and I became interested (again) in buying a boat this summer and I've been doing quite a bit of research. Originally from OK, but lived in FL for quite a while and had a 28' SeaRay. Have lived in Portland, OR for the past 10 years sans boat but love the trawlers (no boat yet, but on the hunt for an older 40-ish footer). Came across this forum and have been looking around ... Looks like a great community. Altho we're in PDX, our destination is Puget Sound/San Juans, etc. - at least from May to Sept :)

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and looking forward to becoming "official" with our boat purchase!

Hi JohnO,

I'm in the general area downriver from PDX. So if you wanna talk boat I'm in the general neighborhood. But my boat is up north in La Conner (where the "good" stuff is!)

We keep a ragboat here in the river as well, it went north/south last summer.

Happy hunting for the next boat! Market here seems kinda thin right now, what are you finding?

You have landed in the right place! Welcome.

Welcome to TF. I winter on the Columbia River down river in Longview.

Welcome aboard!

RCTID!

:D

Thanks all!

GoneFarrell - I think you may be right but I don't have much perspective on the market. Not seeing much that checks our boxes right now. We really like the CHBs and Grand Banks, but looking at everything. One or two have been close, but not close enough to make the trek to go see in person. We're monitoring Yachtworld, BoatTrader, Boats.com, Craigslist and a few off brand sites. Any others out there we should be checking out?

I'm a couple hundred miles upstream from you and add my "welcome" to those above.

Having spent several years (in between cruises) at Salpare Bay on Hayden Island, wish you the best on your hunt for the right boat!

Cheers

Thanks all!

GoneFarrell - I think you may be right but I don't have much perspective on the market. Not seeing much that checks our boxes right now. We really like the CHBs and Grand Banks, but looking at everything. One or two have been close, but not close enough to make the trek to go see in person. We're monitoring Yachtworld, BoatTrader, Boats.com, Craigslist and a few off brand sites. Any others out there we should be checking out?

Here's something interesting (I don't know your budget)...

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/boat-for-sale/1895597/

There are 10X as many boats up in Puget Sound, maybe find a broker up there to help you sort this out, bring the boat back here in the spring.

The only broker I know here is all about sailboats, he's good but there would be better for power, maybe someone else from the 'hood will chime in.

Here's something interesting (I don't know your budget)...

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/boat-for-sale/1895597/

There are 10X as many boats up in Puget Sound, maybe find a broker up there to help you sort this out, bring the boat back here in the spring.

The only broker I know here is all about sailboats, he's good but there would be better for power, maybe someone else from the 'hood will chime in.

Thanks so much for the lead. This is in our ballpark. Saw this one on Yachtworld ... gonna hold out for a twin engine though. We'll take a look around the Sound and see if we can't find a decent broker up there. Cheers!

You're welcome!

Its' so much fun to help others spend lots of money! Your two favorite brands are almost all showing up "sold" on the web, the good ones turn over quickly.

Not sure how you feel about Bayliners, here's a twin diesel in Everett for another 10K:

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/lis...fairhavenyachtsales&&ywo=fairhavenyachtsales&

These are very popular in the Sound. Buy it and I'll help you bring it down around the corner in the spring!

Last edited:
You're welcome!

Its' so much fun to help others spend lots of money! Your two favorite brands are almost all showing up "sold" on the web, the good ones turn over quickly.

Not sure how you feel about Bayliners, here's a twin diesel in Everett for another 10K:

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/lis...fairhavenyachtsales&&ywo=fairhavenyachtsales&

These are very popular in the Sound. Buy it and I'll help you bring it down around the corner in the spring!
Ha - its always fun to spend OPM! Thanks for the lead, but we're really looking for aft cabin w/ center queen and a forward v-berth/double. Flybridge and lower helm definitely a must as well. We're actually wanting to explore around the Sound/San Juans, but curious how tough it is getting back and forth ... more specifically, I've heard (and read) that the Columbia Bar is a beast. I know tides/weather, etc. make all the difference, but curious how bad it really is if well-timed.

JohnO,
We crossed going north July3, we made Neah Bay for 4th of July fireworks, no big deal that trip because of good planning on tide & weather, flexible schedule, solid boat. That trip bar was flat, good timing as you say. The crossing chop started up off of Grays Harbor and went on all night, that started to get annoying. But I've seen way worse.

My gal soloed the boat back south in late August and sailed across the bar, she had a gas doing that. Going south is generally easier. She is very good with modern wind/wave/tide forecast tools. And autopilot is really nice to have.

Don't worry about the bar, that will be a good problem to work out next summer.

Thanks for the outline parameters for what you're looking for, will keep my eyes open walking the docks. Good luck is opportunity meeting preparedness.

JohnO,
We crossed going north July3, we made Neah Bay for 4th of July fireworks, no big deal that trip because of good planning on tide & weather, flexible schedule, solid boat. That trip bar was flat, good timing as you say. The crossing chop started up off of Grays Harbor and went on all night, that started to get annoying. But I've seen way worse.

My gal soloed the boat back south in late August and sailed across the bar, she had a gas doing that. Going south is generally easier. She is very good with modern wind/wave/tide forecast tools. And autopilot is really nice to have.

Don't worry about the bar, that will be a good problem to work out next summer.

Thanks for the outline parameters for what you're looking for, will keep my eyes open walking the docks. Good luck is opportunity meeting preparedness.

That's great to know ... we're really wanting to spend some time up N Puget/San Juans, etc., but would be fun to bring it back down this way from time to time. We'll let you know if we find something that really piques our interest - would be great to get your take on the boat. Thanks again for all of the great feedback!

John

Back
Top Bottom