Perkins starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gaylord Ballard

Veteran Member
Hello all,
Once again I turn to the wisdom of those who've been there and done that. I hav a 77 Mainship with a Perkins 6.354T in need of a starter. An online search reveals several types but I can't tell which is the right one. I have the engine number but not the part number. I was hoping to be able to have the new starter in hand before I take the old one off which is a pain. Does anybody have any suggestions of a website that I can punch in an engine number and retrieve a part number? Or and easy way to do this replacement? Thanks everybody

Transatlantic Diesel in Va could tell you what starter you have by the engine serial number. I was lucky that our started died at our home slip. We supported the starter with straps to support the load while unbolting. I took the starter to a local shop( P&H Baltimore, Md ) and had it totally rebuilt and replaced the solenoid on top. When reinstalling we again used straps to support and help guide into place. Good luck ,its heavy!

I love the strap idea which I will definitely use as I have had many birthdays. Thanks

Also consider, if there is room, using a long bolt the same thread as your starter's with the head cut off and screw slot cut in the end of it. Thread it into the hole and use it as a guide to effortlessly, relatively speaking, slide the starter into position. Using two of them, I pulled the tranny off an engine and again to slide it back into position.

Thats another great idea. I was lucky enough to have had a stud on the water pump I just replaced and it came in very handy to support the weight. Thanks. I knew I would get some good ideas from this group.

About $100-250 on ebay. That's where I buy my starters. No failures in the last 10 years.

I used TD for my replacement very helpful. The new one was so much lighter than the original much easier to install it than to remove the original. I think I’m a little light on the starboard side now [emoji4]

Those years Mainships often had an "anti-clockwise" engine rotation. I had one of those.
You will need to know that before you can buy another starter.
If it were me, I would take the starter out and have it rebuilt. Any shop that rebuilds automotive starters can do that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom