Only $200 Million!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53

Attachments

• IMG_20201026_114243532.jpg
    IMG_20201026_114243532.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20201113_134834694_MP.jpg
    IMG_20201113_134834694_MP.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 184
It takes a crew of 28...

For a fifth of a billion dollars, you ain't expected to wash your own boat, cook your own meals, do your own massages in the spa, be a mechanic in the garage, helm you own toys etc. etc.

And to think he arrived in America with $18 in his pocket.

Hard work and intelligence...

When he went to the United States, he spent his first night in a $2/night room at the University YMCA,[3] and his first job was washing dishes for $1.20 an hour.[3] He joined the Beta Theta Pi fraternity at the school.[11] He graduated from the UIUC College of Engineering with a BSc in Industrial Engineering in 1971. He later was awarded the Mechanical Science and Engineering Distinguished Alumni Award in 1999.[12][13][14]

Epitomizing the American Dream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahid_Khan\

Last edited:
For a fifth of a billion dollars, you ain't expected to wash your own boat, cook your own meals, do your own massages in the spa, be a mechanic in the garage, helm you own toys etc. etc.

And to think he arrived in America with $18 in his pocket.

Hard work and intelligence...

When he went to the United States, he spent his first night in a $2/night room at the University YMCA,[3] and his first job was washing dishes for $1.20 an hour.[3] He joined the Beta Theta Pi fraternity at the school.[11] He graduated from the UIUC College of Engineering with a BSc in Industrial Engineering in 1971. He later was awarded the Mechanical Science and Engineering Distinguished Alumni Award in 1999.[12][13][14]

Epitomizing the American Dream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahid_Khan\

Interesting... I went to the same school he did, just a few years earlier.

Interesting... I went to the same school he did, just a few years earlier.

I went to the same school as Jimmy Carter and look what happened to me. :rofl: Sorry, couldn't resist.

He’s probably upgrading.

May not be to everyones taste , but think of the hundreds and hundreds of jobs created to build , and now operate it.

We need more folks like the owner!!! KEEP SPENDING successful folks!

Not my American dream..... at least without hearing a lot more about his personal life....business success can be had a lot of different ways.

If that was his goal and he got there with honesty and honor....good for him. Being wealthy isn't everyone's dream....

I usually don't comment on boat appearance as it is deeply personal opinion...no right or wrong.

I kinda like it :hide:

One of two mega yachts in Homer Alaska this past September, the other was a mono hull, this one a cat. The heli-deck, five outboards powered auxiliary launch, and crew made it worth a picture. The other was just as nice, also had a helicopter on deck... not my taste in boats :)

Attachments

• IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 42
That is a shadow boat, not a standalone yacht.

And then how much to run

I walk by kizmet several times a week when she’s here in Jax.

Your picture shows the door for the water toys. There is another ‘porch’ that folds down forward.

She had eight guys from Ring power caterpillar for two weeks. Only five diesels. Guess he doesn’t DIY.

Last edited:
I walk by kizmet several times a week when she’s here in Jax.

Your picture shows the door for the water toys. There is another ‘porch’ that folds down forward.

She had eight guys from Ring power caterpillar for two weeks. Only five diesels. Guess he doesn’t DIY.

Hey, it takes a long time to change the oil and filters!

We need more folks like the owner!!! KEEP SPENDING successful folks!

Can you please explain why it is better to have one person spend $200 million rather than have 1,000 people spend $200,000 or 200,000 people spend $1,000?

What is this assumption that only rich peoples spending simulates the economy?

Can you please explain why it is better to have one person spend $200 million rather than have 1,000 people spend $200,000 or 200,000 people spend $1,000?

They aren't mutually exclusive!

Years ago in a past career I was asked to put an audio system in a 50' something GB. When I started to discuss options with the owner he stopped me and said "son, I work hard for my money and only want the best for my yacht so just put in the best and send me a bill" this lesson has stayed with me. I like to think if I had that type of wealth what type of boat and toys would I get? I would like to think I would continue to give back as I do now via charity /volunteer but just do more of it.

I went to high school with Bernie Madoff. My living quarters are now bigger than his.

One of my favorite quotes is from a song sung by Sheryl Crow. “Its not having what you want, it’s wanting what you have.”

Rich folks will spend vast bucks in the service economy which has a larger multiplier effect, than poor folks simply surviving.

A fancy dinner for 2 might cost $300 excluding wine , a frozen pizza would not employ as many folks.

A long distance first class ticket might cost $5,000 , which allows the $200 ticket in the Roach Coach to exist.

The $200,000,000 boat allows the boat yard to prosper to haul our small boats.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom