Legge Door Locks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightCrawler

Vessel Name
Previous owner GB 42 Classic
Vessel Make
Currently running a 23' CC
1990 42 Classic. Legge lockset is acting up. The only info in the owner's manual is the template for installation. Not having any luck finding an installation guide or parts diagram. Issue is I have the inside plate and handle off. It appears the bolt/keyway set should now pull through releasing the face plate on the door edge. But it won't pull through. I feel like I'm missing something simple, as I've installed residential sets a dozen times and they appear similar to this. The face plate on the exterior of the door is solidly attached (glue/caulk?) and I'm wondering if it needs to come off?

It seems the bolt is stuck on something inside the door, not the plate.

Anyone had luck getting past this point?

Check my blog, grandbankschoices. I took mine apart and polished, maybe pics can help.

Thanks Navi53. Exactly what I needed.

Has anyone found replacement for the original mortice lockset?

Legge lock

Hi Doug
From my GB instruction Book :
«To remove cylinder from lock case :
Unscrew the cylinder retaining screw.
Remove the key from the cylinder.
Depress the small plunger in the slot underneath the thumbturn , turn the thumbturn till the two gears can be seen in line with the opening in the lock case, remove the cylinder from the thumbturn side.*»
Hope this helps
JeanL

I have the instructions but I dont have a key for the lock, hence why I need to remove the cylinder to get it rekeyed.

I am going to try and use a lock pick to get it out that way.

I have the instructions but I dont have a key for the lock, hence why I need to remove the cylinder to get it rekeyed.

I am going to try and use a lock pick to get it out that way.

I could find no locksmith to rekey a legge cylinder lock! The can't be picked and the cylinders do not come apart to deal with the pins.
Curious if anyone has a hint,
I would like to have 2 used or new double cog type key alike would be nice.

Looking for 2 Legge cylinders with keys, new or used , need the one with double cogs

Hi
Should your need be on the side door have a look at :
https://www.lockshopdirect.co.uk/brands/legge-27.aspx
Found them while looking for a replacement saloon aft sliding door (what the have not ...)
Any suggestion welcome
All the best
Jean L

This link shows a normal tumbler style key which is what I have and also a skeleton key. Yes, you cannot pick a skeleton key, but an old school locksmith can make you a key. First you have to find a blank key that is correct for the lock.
Then the key sides have soot from flame, insert and turn side to side. Pull it out and start filing, repeat. Actually did that once back in the 80's while taking a lock picking course. :D

I could find no locksmith to rekey a legge cylinder lock! The can't be picked and the cylinders do not come apart to deal with the pins.
Curious if anyone has a hint,
I would like to have 2 used or new double cog type key alike would be nice.

You need to discover what series number of lock you have. With that series number a key can be cut. The cylinder as you discovered cannot be rekeyed but only replaced in order to have new keys.

For blanks see here...

https://ekeyblanks.com/Legge-Grand-Banks-Boat-Keys-Key-Blanks-Ilco-62LG/

My Formula didn’t have cabin keys when I bought it. Formula gave me the manufacturer info and I had to take the key code off the lock and they made keys for me. Quite easy.

This link shows a normal tumbler style key which is what I have and also a skeleton key. Yes, you cannot pick a skeleton key, but an old school locksmith can make you a key. First you have to find a blank key that is correct for the lock.
Then the key sides have soot from flame, insert and turn side to side. Pull it out and start filing, repeat. Actually did that once back in the 80's while taking a lock picking course. :D

I have reg key also. The cylinder won’t come out without a key. Can’t be picked to turn it to do it. The proper key blank is an welcome available on line. Not near the but will post # and website. Exact fit then if have key machine can copy. Hard to find blank.

My Formula didn’t have cabin keys when I bought it. Formula gave me the manufacturer info and I had to take the key code off the lock and they made keys for me. Quite easy.

I saw ho key code. Where do I look. Must be hiding!

Key blank

ELCO 62LG. IS PROPER BLANK FOR THIS LEGGE
Available on line. Was going post photo couldn’t figure how?
Cylinder with two cogs. Might fit one cog also

I have reg key also. The cylinder won’t come out without a key. Can’t be picked to turn it to do it. The proper key blank is an welcome available on line. Not near the but will post # and website. Exact fit then if have key machine can copy. Hard to find blank.

Here is the one I ordered online but forget where, probably amazon

Key DL 33N or ILCO 1033N
Key DL 33N or ILCO 1033N.jpg

ekeyblanks.com I called and th man didn't even need to look it up, he just knew about Legge locks 62LG WAS EXACT FIT

I have the blanks, but cannot extract the cylinder. Who can look up the key code and cut the new key for me?

-Doug

The correct blank, locksmith will tell you it's a Yale key, it it not.

Attachments

• 14E0EE0A-C1FC-49D8-A33D-35046DCFBA07.jpg
    14E0EE0A-C1FC-49D8-A33D-35046DCFBA07.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 057DD0F6-7E46-4EF8-981C-F546F4174839.jpg
    057DD0F6-7E46-4EF8-981C-F546F4174839.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom