Are We Getting Invaded?' U.S. Boats Faced Russian Aggression Near Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Russia testing airspace thing is nothing new. They do it to us, we do it to them, and it's been going on for a long time. It definitely seems like they're getting a bit more pushy in general though.

The Russia testing airspace thing is nothing new. They do it to us, we do it to them, and it's been going on for a long time. It definitely seems like they're getting a bit more pushy in general though.

Aircraft yes. I was at the alert cells launching intercepts in another life.

What is alarming is the Russians, with in our economic zone chasing commercial fishing boats out of the area. This is new to some degree.

Even more alarming is the USCG's response if the write-up is true.

John does allowing them to violate our rights to a high degree .. making us look like fools the right thing to do? One could say WWIII has not yet started yet but one could say that when/it happens Russia will be able to move lots more bombers and other war hardware much closer to our populous areas and thus do far more damage.

That could make us dead at the end of the day. One could say are we better off dead tomorrow that bloodied today?

Last edited:
Aircraft yes. I was at the alert cells launching intercepts in another life.

What is alarming is the Russians, with in our economic zone chasing commercial fishing boats out of the area. This is new to some degree.

Even more alarming is the USCG's response if the write-up is true.

Not sure I get the outrage. The story seems to say that the incidents are occurring outside any waters where we claim any sovereignty (other than fishing rights).

We actually do similar activities with "mobile restricted areas" over our carrier task groups. While the Russians sound obnoxious, they are, after all, Russians. ;)

Alaska Prof,
You checked all the right boxes.

I thought they were in our waters.
But our waters don’t go far enough if they're going to regularly play war games on the edge. It’s obvious they wouldn’t be there if we wern’t on the other side. I’m concerned because as soon as we get use-to this what next? ..... and they up the ante every time.

Well eventually they will (if we let them) be playing war games (exercises) off the coast of JuanDefuca. And one day several bombers will stray east down the strait and before we decide what to do the’ll be firing atomic bomb missiles at Seattle/Boeing.

Last edited:
iu

Those are just the ones you know about...

The US State Department should be involved at a high level. When the Russians tell us ahead of time they are going to run military exercises in our economic zone, the answer should be NYET! if possible, and if not, then a clear warning that under no circumstances is any US economic endeavor to be interfered with. Then we tell them that it is likely that a US submarine and a destroyer may be on hand to enforce the dictate. It's not warmongering for those who might shrink from confrontation, it's simply not putting up with this BS. I have spent some time looking down the barrel of a loaded 5-inch gun at a pest of a Russian warship, and I know they respect only power.

When I was on St Lawrence Island on a icebreaker trip....we toured the National Guard unit there and it had a map noting all kinds of Russian activity, including possible landings on the island back in the 80's.

St Lawrence island is at the North end of the Bearing Sea, quite close to Russia.

Last edited:
"Atomic bomb missles"...... sounds like Hollywood script. :D

I’m concerned because as soon as we get use-to this what next? ..... and they up the ante every time.

Well eventually they will (if we let them) be playing war games (exercises) off the coast of JuanDefuca. And one day several bombers will stray east down the strait and before we decide what to do the’ll be firing atomic bomb missiles at Seattle/Boeing.

Puh leez! Ya might have to get Maverick up there, inverted, to let them Russkies know what's what

Puh leez! Ya might have to get Maverick up there, inverted, to let them Russkies know what's what

Eric was obviously exaggerating to make a point; Russians will just keep pushing, like all bullies.

When was it decommissioned?

Spent some time there back in the early 90's.

Probably 20 years ago. Navy did a major upgrade to all housing, school, commissary, etc. Closed it a year or two later.

Now belongs to the Aleut Corporation.

When was it decommissioned?

Spent some time there back in the early 90's.
After I got out in 1996. I had a buddy who works for BRAC. I remember talking about it with him. Didn't seem to fit the pork barrel politics why most bases exist. Must've been expensive to crew and maintain.

Pretty sure I have never been there...

The USCG used it quite a bit for refueling aircraft and ships when I was up on Kodiak.

It saved hours of flying and lots of fuel when out C-130s were patrolling the North Pacific drift net fisheries.

Wonder if the RADAR site is still operational out on Shemya or now satellites do all the work?

EMERYENCY, everyone to getting from street!

--Lieutenant Rozanov

Wonder how many people get the reference?
Great movie with some legendary actors

The USCG used it quite a bit for refueling aircraft and ships when I was up on Kodiak.

It saved hours of flying and lots of fuel when out C-130s were patrolling the North Pacific drift net fisheries.

Wonder if the RADAR site is still operational out on Shemya or now satellites do all the work?

Shemya Radar is still operated by FAA. Don't think there is any AF presence. King Salmon no longer hosts alert fighters.

//Edit// a little reading reveals that the Air Force still has some minimal service contingent at Shemya for fueling, etc. The ARSR air traffic radar still seems to be operational, but the ballistic missile system not.

Fourteen day forecast for Shemya: rain. cold rain, horizontal cold rain.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. kw. Recognized the "drill" immediately. Probably my favorite movie of all time. Directed by Canadian, Norman Jewison who also directed many other REALLY good movies (IMO). https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0422484/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

I saw him interviewed by Elwy Yost (yet another Canadian) about the making of "The Russians..." They had tried to borrow a submarine from the US/Canadian ??? government and were turned down so they built a soviet sub on dozens of 200 gallon oil tanks. Even a ripple on the water caused the "prop" to self-disassemble and they had to stop shooting to do repairs.

New PX, New Commissary, Upgrade all the housing, major work on runways . . . you could always tell when a base was about to be closed . . .:nonono:. Meanwhile, the bases that stayed continue to eek by with outdated and substandard facilities . . . . follow the money, follow the payoffs, and see which contractors, in which districts got rich . . . . :hide:

Ak Proff wrote;
"Fourteen day forecast for Shemya: rain. cold rain, horizontal cold rain."

I can verify the probability of that forecast from working as a radioman at False Pass years ago. The wind actually IS horizontal .. at times. The walk ways and small buildings were built on stilts and one night I almost left the radio shack it blew so hard. The next morning they were talk'in ____ but I will not mention an unbelievable number.

Eric was obviously exaggerating to make a point; Russians will just keep pushing, like all bullies.

He may have been totally exaggerating although that’s not how I read it. I do agree with you that Russia will continue to press until there is pushback.

I strongly suspect there were at least 2 US fast attack nuc subs in and amongst the Soviet fleet.
Plus an additional 1 or 2 in the immediate area.

Back
Top Bottom