Thanks to all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trawlercap

Vessel Name
JoAhna K
Vessel Make
58' Bill Garden Trawler 1952
Quick intro. I ran a 123' trawler in the Bering Sea for 30 years, with a few hollywood boats on the side. We are retired, and are about to jump in big time into a 58' boat. I do not want to say too much as we still have survey to complete soon.This is a boat that found me, I swear..:) I'll check back in with pics and details when the sale closes. IMG_1934 copy.jpg

Welcome aboard! I suspect with your experience you’ll be handy to have around.

Hi Captain, welcome to this forum. I am a big fan of the TV show ‘the deadliest catch’, I understand it is a reality show but is it close to your experience as fishing along these guys or just a show?

Welcome aboard TF. Will await more on boat and pics before saying more but hope things work out.
Look forward to some stories.

Now we are dying with curiosity! Will be anxious to hear about your purchase and hope the best in future cruising.

Welcome Aboard.

My fuel tanks are rebuilt, I have good filters. Whenever I am out in rough seas (nothing like in your accompanying picture, but 5 and 6 footers) my big concern is always that I will have fuel problems from the fuel sloshing around. I even visualize what is actually happening inside my fuel tanks.

How do boats/ships like the one in your picture deal with this issue?

pete

Could it be a 58' Kadey Krogen? Northwest Expeditions just sold one. Way up there on my list.

Now we are dying with curiosity! Will be anxious to hear about your purchase and hope the best in future cruising.

I'm sorry for being vague, but I thought it better as I'm still in the dance phase. The buyer/seller agreement is inked, but we still have hull and mechanical surveys to go through.
I will take a bunch of pics and file a report.

Welcome Aboard.

My fuel tanks are rebuilt, I have good filters. Whenever I am out in rough seas (nothing like in your accompanying picture, but 5 and 6 footers) my big concern is always that I will have fuel problems from the fuel sloshing around. I even visualize what is actually happening inside my fuel tanks.

How do boats/ships like the one in your picture deal with this issue?

pete

Pete that is a really good subject. We would fill up in Seattle (cheaper) in 8 or 9 tanks up to 50k gallons. We burn 1k gal a day, so holding fuel in wing tanks for two months or longer in 35 degree water carries all kinds of potential problems.

A centrifuge filter is the heart of our system. (I will have something dedicated like this) And a big day tank, a day tanks that hold two days hard running. It's in the engine room, warm. We transfer fuel from our wing tanks, through the centrifuge Any water/sediment gets spotted at the big filter during the transfer. After filling the day tank, we continuously circulate the fuel in the day tank through the big filter. We never brought fuel from wing tanks to engines.

I will be shopping for a big main filter for the new boat. Always be on guard when you open a new fuel tank to bring into your engine room. Watch for crap. In all my years (a lot) I never once had fuel problems.

Welcome and potential congrats here too. I commanded a 205-foot Navy salvage tug with 96,000 gallon diesel capacity. Just like your trawler, we had a single Shaples centrifugal fuel filter through which we transferred fuel from storage to days tanks to feed our four hungry sixteen cylinder Cat D399s and generators. We had a second centrifugal filter for lube oil, and it was shifted to a different D399 daily. Unfortunately, these filters could not be cannibalized for parts for each other as we found to our dismay when we lost the fuel filter way down around the equator. We just had to gut it out until we were done with our Trust Territories of the Pacific patrol and could get to Guam for a fix. When I had four tanks on my GB42, I ran my fuel polishing system of the two forward tanks before trip and ran the twin engines from those tanks using the polisher to push fuel to the forward tanks from the larger aft tanks every other day or so. Size and configuration makes that impossible on the Pilot, but it uses fuel so rapidly that a polisher is really not needed.

Last edited:
Hi Captain, welcome to this forum. I am a big fan of the TV show ‘the deadliest catch’, I understand it is a reality show but is it close to your experience as fishing along these guys or just a show?

I would hope some day we could side-tie have a cold one together. The TV guys and I all grew up together, the older guys anyhow. It's a small world. You cannot fake the seas, but you can make sure it is rough when you film...:)

I wrote a book, which led to public presentations. People are curious "do you know Sig?" I joke yea, I'm just like those guys you see on TV. Except, I never sank a boat, burned up a boat, rolled a boat, knocked the windows out, never had a guy overboard, life flighted anyone, never been in jail, never bailed out my crew or been on probation, re-hab. I never went bankrupt, got multiple divorces, Never paid child support, alimony. I don't yell at my crew, scream at dock guys, drink gallons of coffee or smoke cartons of cigarettes. They would never want me on TV. I strive really hard to have no drama. I love operating in horrible conditions, no one is yelling, the boat and crew and myself all doing what we are designer to do...:) Otherwise, me and the Hollywood skippers are just the same!

www.jackmolan.com has a few videos

Couple boats I was fortunate to drive

trawler_edited-3.jpg

1Cornelia Marie-2 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome and potential congrats here too. I commanded a 205-foot Navy salvage tug with 96,000 gallon diesel capacity. Just like your trawler, we had a single Shaples centrifugal fuel filter through which we transferred fuel from storage to days tanks to feed our four hungry sixteen cylinder Cat D399s and generators. We had a second centrifugal filter for lube oil, and it was shifted to a different D399 daily. Unfortunately, these filters could not be cannibalized for parts for each other as we found to our dismay when we lost the fuel filter way down around the equator. We just had to gut it out until we were done with our Trust Territories of the Pacific patrol and could get to Guam for a fix. When I had four tanks on my GB42, I ran my fuel polishing system of the two forward tanks before trip and ran the twin engines from those tanks using the polisher to push fuel to the forward tanks from the larger aft tanks every other day or so. Size and configuration makes that impossible on the Pilot, but it uses fuel so rapidly that a polisher is really not needed.

Jeeze Chief your gobbling F/O with 4 399's?!!....We had a single 399 for many years. And 3 CAT aux's, pretty much bomb proof. We swapped in a 1,800 HP 3516 V-16. A lot more power, but a bit touchier. Good stuff chief, thanks for that!

Jeeze Chief your gobbling F/O with 4 399's?!!....We had a single 399 for many years. And 3 CAT aux's, pretty much bomb proof. We swapped in a 1,800 HP 3516 V-16. A lot more power, but a bit touchier. Good stuff chief, thanks for that!

We had need to develop 3000 HP at the fourteen foot diameter prop. Our top speed when not towing was 15 knots with all four 399s online, but being diesel electric we had great flexibility. 7 Knots with one on line and 10 with two. Three got us 12 or so. We always had all engines online when entering and exiting ports. That ship was built with a riveted hull in 1943 and was sold in 1978 to Taiwan. Their Navy brought her up to Keelung from Kaohsiung last year just so my former operations officer could tour her while on a business trip there to do with their navy, He emailed me photos and said she was in PERFECT condition. I think with two engines on line our range was halfway around the earth. I was 29 years old and a mere lieutenant commanding 69 men on independent missions - the best of times.

Last edited:
Welcome to TF. Thanks for the pics. Look forward to tapping your brain for knowledge and experience.

Thanks

Welcome to TF. Thanks for the pics. Look forward to tapping your brain for knowledge and experience.

I'm sure I'll be the one asking a bunch of questions. Thanks for that. Where are you tied up for winter? We are in Bend Ore. and would prefer a shorter drive than the Puget Sound.

I'm sure I'll be the one asking a bunch of questions. Thanks for that. Where are you tied up for winter? We are in Bend Ore. and would prefer a shorter drive than the Puget Sound.
We winter over about 40 miles of Portland, Longview WA.IMG_2038.jpeg

Pull back the curtain

Ok, this is the first I have revealed the boat online. Due diligence has been done The hull and mechanical survey are due the 20th. I brought in a 40 year vet of surveying on a walk through (to tell me not to do it) He was blown away, he said "You have to buy this, if you don't I will and I already have too many boats." My 40 year vet boat electrician looked at detainee pics and said, "it's all professional, you'll be good." This boat found me, I had no clue I would be taking on the care off such an awesome vessel. We'll be in the Puget Sound for a while, then who knows? It has 3,000 mi range..

IMG_0141 3.jpg IMG_9643.jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 6.14.03 PM copy.jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 6.10.43 PM.jpg

Amazing story attached with the vessel. Link from days it charted. Anacortes Yacht Charters

Last edited:
That's a pretty boat, and salty looking too!

Is that a hot tub!!

Last edited:
She's a beut. Moored near me in Everett maybe a year or so ago. Not exactly sure of the publication, maybe Northwest Yachting, did a story on her back when she was re-fit. Pretty much all new systems etc by a guy with a bottomless check book. Congrats Cap!

That's a pretty boat, and salty looking too!

Is that a hot tub!!

It had a hot tub when it was in charter service. The current owner said it was good they removed it, it was leaking.

She's a beut. Moored near me in Everett maybe a year or so ago. Not exactly sure of the publication, maybe Northwest Yachting, did a story on her back when she was re-fit. Pretty much all new systems etc by a guy with a bottomless check book. Congrats Cap!

Thanks I'd love to gather anything about her past. I was told the refit was over $700k. Everywhere I stick my head looks modern and well done... organized...:)

2" vertical grain old growth fir, full length planks. Iron wood stem. And to think William Garden designed it with a slide rule and french curve.

IMG_9622.jpg

IMG_9646 copy.jpg

Capt. Jack,

Did you say “2” fir, full length planks”?
FULL LENGTH. Of the boat?

Back
Top Bottom