View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
moparharn

City: Detroit
“Gyros are potentially dangerous offshore”

Please tell us what is mis informed about that statement. The forces involved and the power requirements alone make them potentially dangerous.

Hippo- I assume you have read Beebe's Cruising Under Power. He seems to conclude that fins are fine for coastal cruising and paravanes for ocean crossing. Either system requires an inventory of spare parts and the knowledge to replace them. I don't know your cruising plans, but after reading his book I would not attempt a crossing without paravanes because of their simplicity. Quality block and tackle should suffice over electronic winches.

I have zero experience on these matters and can only relate what I just read in the last few weeks. For my cruising plans I would not consider paravanes as I intend to do the loop and coastal cruising.

I have been looking at a boat with "sea brace" stabilizers. Sea Brace has been out of business for some time and this caused me great worry. I am told that in fact they are ideal as they use off the shelf automotive parts obtainable from any Auto Zone or O'Reilly's.
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote