Golden Ray - It's Finally Going To Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Weather may shut it down later in the week....

The piece that gets me is that they " found and retrieved" the broken link. Can you imagine being a diver and looking for that link amongst the cuttings and pieces of ship and cars laying on the bottom!

Watch the movie 'Men of Honor" (Cuba Gooding) to see what top tier divers can do....if you haven't already seen it.

Remember that the Navy Divers and others picked up almost every piece of the TWA Flt 800 747 that exploded just out of NYC and rained into the Atlantic.

Yep, almost four days into a cut that was supposed to take one day, they are barely halfway through. And despite dozens of local notices that once the cutting starts it cannot be stopped, the cutting has been stopped several times already.

They have also had to replace 30 links (over 10%) in the 400 foot long chain.

The only good news is that since the chain is still cutting below the surface there hasn’t been too much noise. We anticipate this changing. Oh, and so far, no explosions or fires, but that too will change as they start cutting where the bulk of the cars are.

I have always questioned the concept of using a huge chain to cut the ship. But, it’s also been clear that the dramatic lack of space in which to operate would require a unique approach. I guess the cable cutting method requires an angle of attack that they just don’t have here. If you look closely, you will see that the chain is nearly vertical. I would think that this also causes there to be much more surface contact, which creates more friction and drag. The chain is significantly larger than a cable, also creating more contact.

Watching video of previous cutting operations, it looks almost surgical. Photos of this operation so far on the Golden Ray look like they are trying to just tear the thing apart.

Yep, almost four days into a cut that was supposed to take one day, they are barely halfway through. And despite dozens of local notices that once the cutting starts it cannot be stopped, the cutting has been stopped several times already.

They have also had to replace 30 links (over 10%) in the 400 foot long chain.

The only good news is that since the chain is still cutting below the surface there hasn’t been too much noise. We anticipate this changing. Oh, and so far, no explosions or fires, but that too will change as they start cutting where the bulk of the cars are.

I have always questioned the concept of using a huge chain to cut the ship. But, it’s also been clear that the dramatic lack of space in which to operate would require a unique approach. I guess the cable cutting method requires an angle of attack that they just don’t have here. If you look closely, you will see that the chain is nearly vertical. I would think that this also causes there to be much more surface contact, which creates more friction and drag. The chain is significantly larger than a cable, also creating more contact.

Watching video of previous cutting operations, it looks almost surgical. Photos of this operation so far on the Golden Ray look like they are trying to just tear the thing apart.

Keep in mind, T and T has never done this type of operation before. Equipment breaks, weather shuts stuff down and delays happen... All part of the operation.

The piece that gets me is that they " found and retrieved" the broken link. Can you imagine being a diver and looking for that link amongst the cuttings and pieces of ship and cars laying on the bottom!

"Crews were able to retrieve and repair the broken link on the chain soon after."

I strongly suspect this is simply phrased poorly. It would be much more likely that they 'retrieved the chain and repaired the broken link'. I can't see much purpose is searching for a single broken link.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom