Spring 2021 transit to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kawini

Vessel Name
High Slack
Vessel Make
Selene 43
Good morning TF.

We’re contemplating a transit from WA to AK in April or May of next year, assuming that such a transit is allowed by Canadian authorities.

Is anyone else planning likewise?

Good morning TF.

We’re contemplating a transit from WA to AK in April or May of next year, assuming that such a transit is allowed by Canadian authorities.

Is anyone else planning likewise?

Yes, very likely, though when is uncertain.

Yes, and by then with acceptable papers showing an administered vaccine. Thus all (air)ports will be open to cruisers. That is the Canadian, Mexico and US plan at this time. But the next few months of vaccine startup success will tell the final tale.

Sunchaser-

I hope it all pans out quickly and effectively, just as you forecast.

However, my working assumption (still) is that the US/Canada border will not be "normalized" well into next year. We have moved our boat from Sidney to Friday Harbor with the expectation that recreational boating in those incredible Canadian waterways will not be happening next season.

Hence, the plan for a quick (and, hopefully, legal) transit through BC to Alaska next April or May. A la Sea Venture.

I figured some people might be looking at this similarly, and might want to informally flotilla up if possible.

Thanks-

Steve
S4327

Yes, we intend to spend most of next summer in Prince William Sound Alaska!

We to plan to go north next spring. If the border is still closed, we may opt for Puget Sound. We may also just file a plan and jump the hoops to transit Canada to Alaska.

I hope....

I spent last July in the San Juan’s and it gets pretty small in short order. I covered every spot I could find from Harstine Island to Bellingham. Some twice.

I sure hope Canada is open next boating season. That’s all.

PDXSTRIPER-

Yes, the San Juans are great. But with all US boaters crammed into that small area, it can feel a little limiting.

Not considering taking your boat up to AK if possible next season?

Yes. Hoping for 90 days.Departing late May.

PDXSTRIPER-

Yes, the San Juans are great. But with all US boaters crammed into that small area, it can feel a little limiting.

Not considering taking your boat up to AK if possible next season?

Well I'm boat shopping now so probably no Alaska trip this year. Need to buy whatever it is I end up with (used Nordic Tug hopefully), make it mine and get to know it. So doubtful I will get past the Broughtan's in 2021. And that's being optimistic vis-a-vis Covid. Ugh.

Pete

Doubt Canada will be open for 2021.
Canada is slowly moving to full shutdown due to our fellow citizens inability to follow voluntary covid protocols! Positivity rates in major metropolitan areas are approaching 10%.
You can still transit BC waters in 2020 with a few modifications.
Basically vessel must transit to Alaska by direct route, stopping only for safety (sleep and weather), essentials, fuel, water or repairs. No fishing, crabbing, sight seeing or contact with Canadians unless essential.

As was mentioned in a post, we transited in July of this year, following the Canadian Customs rules, and had no problem clearing in and coming to Alaska, where we plan to continue to cruise throughout the winter.

We have some friends getting ready to make the transit from Puget Sound to Alaska, leaving in the next couple of days. Once I hear how they did crossing the border, I'll post a follow up.

Thanks,
Jim
M/V Sea Venture
www.youtube.com/CruisingSeaVenture

Doubt Canada will be open for 2021.
Canada is slowly moving to full shutdown due to our fellow citizens inability to follow voluntary covid protocols! Positivity rates in major metropolitan areas are approaching 10%...

USA has 10 times our population and 38 times our Covid-19 cases. Used to be 48 times our cases a couple months ago, but as Roddy points out, some Canadian's just aren't connecting the dots.

By late spring 2021 we should all have a better idea of the scope of this thing...

Attachments

• D9977C33-8926-4744-B541-2778883E7D92.jpg
    D9977C33-8926-4744-B541-2778883E7D92.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 34
  • B12E84F3-216D-40DC-A23C-7494C81A1FD3.jpg
    B12E84F3-216D-40DC-A23C-7494C81A1FD3.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 34
Can we please have this not drift into yet another COVID thread?

Oh Kevin that makes my mouth water. Alaska Spots are the best in the world. Bets Mexico too.

We would fill our freezers with Red salmon out of main bay

Can we please have this not drift into yet another COVID thread?
While I agree with your intention with this comment, I think it is probably reasonable that there will be some discussion about Covid as the topic is about trying to follow the somewhat "unclear" and possibly changing rules of how to legally transit Canadian waters during a worldwide pandemic when the border is actually "closed" :eek::hide::whistling: and some Canadians may not be too welcoming under these circumstances???

While I agree with your intention with this comment, I think it is probably reasonable that there will be some discussion about Covid as the topic is about trying to follow the somewhat "unclear" and possibly changing rules of how to legally transit Canadian waters during a worldwide pandemic when the border is actually "closed" :eek::hide::whistling: and some Canadians may not be too welcoming under these circumstances???

Yes, I understand, unavoidable I know and I think in general this thread has done very well. You're right, COVID is intrinsic to the topic to some degree, and I would dearly love to get up there myself in '21 so I'm following with interest. In contrast though I'm talking about veering off yet again into bashing segments of the population or certain countries or citing statistics to demonstrate how uncooperative hicks are threatening us all. We're all force-fed that debate all day every day and I'm just worn out on that angle. I'd rather think of swimming in the pool at Poet's Cove Resort on Pender Island overlooking the marina in Bedwell Harbor. Oops, Harbour.

I managed to get my boat moved across the border from BC to Blaine then took her down to Portland for the winter. As soon as the border opens I'm heading North. Not holding my breath though.

Yes, I understand, unavoidable I know and I think in general this thread has done very well. You're right, COVID is intrinsic to the topic to some degree, and I would dearly love to get up there myself in '21 so I'm following with interest. In contrast though I'm talking about veering off yet again into bashing segments of the population or certain countries or citing statistics to demonstrate how uncooperative hicks are threatening us all. We're all force-fed that debate all day every day and I'm just worn out on that angle. I'd rather think of swimming in the pool at Poet's Cove Resort on Pender Island overlooking the marina in Bedwell Harbor. Oops, Harbour.
Thanks for the "respelling".:thumb:I totally understand and agree. Let's hope that all of this mess is behind us by next summer. :banghead:
We can hope!:whistling:

As was mentioned in a post, we transited in July of this year, following the Canadian Customs rules, and had no problem clearing in and coming to Alaska, where we plan to continue to cruise throughout the winter.

Thanks,
Jim
M/V Sea Venture

I am certainly considering doing it their way, but for us, BC is at least half the fun of the voyage.

Spring 2021 WA to AK

Yes, I'm planning to depart Everett May, 2021 sometime, back to Everett September 2021 sometime. Will be subletting my 50 slip POE if anyone is interested.

Why are numerous skippers spending the winter in SE? Don’t remember that in the past. Aren’t some of you planing on “transiting” to Alaska concerned about getting stuck there for Four months? those not inclined to spend the winter in Alaska it would mean hauling out ect and flying out. And of course returning at considerable expense. Unless you actually want to spend four months in Alaska.

Why are numerous skippers spending the winter in SE? Don’t remember that in the past. Aren’t some of you planing on “transiting” to Alaska concerned about getting stuck there for Four months? those not inclined to spend the winter in Alaska it would mean hauling out ect and flying out. And of course returning at considerable expense. Unless you actually want to spend four months in Alaska.
Eric,

We can not speak for others, but we proactively decided to stay in Alaska for the winter and continue to cruise as much as the weather permits.

At least for us, we wanted to do something different. The original plan was to be headed toward the Sea of Cortez for the winter, but Covid killed those plans, and as cruisers with no permanent moorage, we had no interest in going around in circles in Puget Sound for the winter - and we are not one to sit in a marina, regardless of the time of year, so Alaska seemed like a great option for the summer once we were able to transit up, and given there seemed to be so much to see and do, it made sense to just stay. As far as the cruising, it's not our first trip to Alaska (the first was in 2006), and we still love it up here. Weather wise, August was tough - with lots of rain and wind. We spent much of the month in 5-8 ft seas. September and October, when normally everyone is gone was mostly dry and calm. We have met many Alaskan's who cruise year around, and much of the fishing fleet is up here running year around. The marina is quite busy with boats coming and going. There are a few boats shrink wrapped for the winter.

We really enjoy scuba diving - yes, even in Alaska in the winter. Actually, winter diving is much better then summer. The visibility is much better in the winter months.

If nothing else, it will be an adventure.

Jim
M/V Sea Venture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom