Holding Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike H

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Losada
Vessel Make
Californian 48 CPMY
The Admiral and I just purchased a 1988 Californian 48 CPMY and made the trip from Maryland to Maine with no problems. Slowly going through systems, familiarizing myself with where everything is, etc. One thing that has me baffled is where in the heck is the holding tank? I have found the two fuel tanks and the water tank, but the holding tank is elusive. The pump out is on the port side deck. Any ideas?

That would be my first choice, too, and I would if I could. The line is buried behind panels, etc., and I have no idea where it goes.

waste tank location

Yours is a newer. nicer, biger versoin of my 82 34lLRC but same heritage. Mine is on the centerline between stringrs and the engines. I ended up having to call the PO as it is impossible to see with foam walk on padding covering it.

Last edited:
Follow the line from the head to the holding tank. Often they are white which makes them easier to follow.

Ted

I have a 1989 48' aft deck and it is under a hatch on the port side of the aft bed just inside the stateroom door.

Ok, I found the answer this weekend. I pulled up some carpet in the aft cabin and found the water tank at the foot of that berth. Thinking the holding tank might be the opposite, I pulled up the carpet in the forward cabin and found the holding tank built in at the foot of the forward berth. Had to pull the carpet off the tack strips, but only a small area.

During the hunt, I did find some nice chases from aft to forward.

Thanks to all.

Ok, I found the answer this weekend. I pulled up some carpet in the aft cabin and found the water tank at the foot of that berth. Thinking the holding tank might be the opposite, I pulled up the carpet in the forward cabin and found the holding tank built in at the foot of the forward berth. Had to pull the carpet off the tack strips, but only a small area.

Thanks to all.

Hope it is plastic and not metal.

Thanks to all.

Interesting configuration. At the start of a trip, the water tank is full and the holding tank empty. As time goes on, a combination of drinking the water and later flushing fills the holding tank as the water tank empties. You can probably tell the level of each just by evaluating the list.

Hope it is plastic and not metal.

That they are (both water and waste). After replacing the stainless holding tank on our sailboat, I don't look forward to doing that again. But, I did live through it....

Thanks to all.
Sorry for the late bump.

1988 Californian 48. Fiberglass holding tank located part of it in same location in forward cabin.

It's supposed be 70g, which I believe as we are liveaboard and pump out almost every 3 weeks. Issue is, what I am looking at is not 70g. Multiple tanks? Tank continues under galley storage?

Anyone have a diagram or understand the layout and can explain to me?

Also, is it fiberglass over wood?

Thanks for any assistance.

Sorry for the late bump.

1988 Californian 48. Fiberglass holding tank located part of it in same location in forward cabin.

It's supposed be 70g, which I believe as we are liveaboard and pump out almost every 3 weeks. Issue is, what I am looking at is not 70g. Multiple tanks? Tank continues under galley storage?

Anyone have a diagram or understand the layout and can explain to me?

Also, is it fiberglass over wood?

Thanks for any assistance.

I just went down to the boat and took measurements. Based on what is showing at the foot of the forward berth, the maximum capacity would be around 20 gallons. Our boat has two floor storage areas in the galley. The storage areas appear to be suspended compartments that are sealed, so I can't see what is below them. I suspect the holding tank extends aft in the area under the galley, below those storage compartments.

I just went down to the boat and took measurements. Based on what is showing at the foot of the forward berth, the maximum capacity would be around 20 gallons. Our boat has two floor storage areas in the galley. The storage areas appear to be suspended compartments that are sealed, so I can't see what is below them. I suspect the holding tank extends aft in the area under the galley, below those storage compartments.
Again, sorry for late bump.

I have just ordered a sewer camera so I can dig a little deeper. Hope to have it Monday. I have the same suspended storage in galley. I pulled fridge and there is a screwed down cover which I removed and under it two more access panels that are screwed in, but no amount of prying will pull up those hatched without breaking them. Almost like they were glued in.

I wish there was some documentation or someone knowledgeable with this era Californian regarding waste system. I have tracked all the lines and the pumpout line disappears around port side from bow location under galley. I need to replace the hoses, but this one I think is becoming critical.

Anyone? Ideas?

Again, sorry for late bump.

I have just ordered a sewer camera so I can dig a little deeper. Hope to have it Monday. I have the same suspended storage in galley. I pulled fridge and there is a screwed down cover which I removed and under it two more access panels that are screwed in, but no amount of prying will pull up those hatched without breaking them. Almost like they were glued in.

I wish there was some documentation or someone knowledgeable with this era Californian regarding waste system. I have tracked all the lines and the pumpout line disappears around port side from bow location under galley. I need to replace the hoses, but this one I think is becoming critical.

Anyone? Ideas?

I think that I would go ahead and break the panels if necessary. You need to see what is behind them. Then fix the panels if they need to be closed or just leave them open if it won’t hurt anything.

Let us know which one you got and how it works please.

No problem and no rush. I am planning on scoping out my sewage hose next winter and am just thinking about what I will need to do it.

Sorry for the delay in response. Below is what I bought. 50' can be a pain to maneuver for short lengths but otherwise I was able to troubleshoot my fresh water tank not priming properly at pump. I did use it on deck line to tank and it worked very well. All in all it did what I needed for $100.

50FT Dual-Lens Endoscope Borescope 5'' Larger IPS Screen, DXZtoz Sewer Camera for Drain Pipe Plumbing Plumbers Inspection Scope Camera Snake Waterproof with Light[Upgraded] https://a.co/d/acfPcVX

This was bought at Amazon.

For what it's worth, the holding tank is fiberglass and long by about 18 wide and 12 high if I recall correctly. Ultimately 70g. It is straight fiberglass, no core so easily added peel and stick sensors. A really nice addition.

Replaced all sanitation lines as they were permeated to the point I thought tank was leaking. It's not but one fitting, the lowest required replacement. Was tough to find a SS replacement but did so eventually. I don't even have to use anything in the tank to prevent Odor. Replaced vent line and it keeps it aerated fairly well. Fresh water maceration toilets sure help.

This is a nice boat. We've been living aboard for 2 years now in PacNW.

I now have a pretty solid understanding of both water and San systems if anyone needs assistance.

Please let me know if I've missed anything.

I have a 55 Californian and I'm trying to locate the holding tank, did you verify that the tank was located under the fridge area?

It's kind of under fridge. In forward cabin on floor at foot of bed under the carpet is a substantial access panel. Forward is my chain, directly below is the bilge pump and a triple pumpout connection, which in turn connects to holding tank looking aft toward floor lockers and fridge.

Mine is 70 gal. I think it was larger on the 55.

Things I didn't know until I got things apart...

1. The holding tank is strictly fiberglass, no wood core. You can use surface sensors, making things much easier for monitoring level.

2. If you remove shower pump etc, you can literally crawl into the forward access noted above, if you're small enough.

I highly recommend a camera to access your lines and explore. I was able to resolve all kinds of issues, especially with my water tank not flowing properly. Would have never discovered the issue without it.

It's kind of under fridge. In forward cabin on floor at foot of bed under the carpet is a substantial access panel. Forward is my chain, directly below is the bilge pump and a triple pumpout connection, which in turn connects to holding tank looking aft toward floor lockers and fridge.

Mine is 70 gal. I think it was larger on the 55.

Things I didn't know until I got things apart...

1. The holding tank is strictly fiberglass, no wood core. You can use surface sensors, making things much easier for monitoring level.

2. If you remove shower pump etc, you can literally crawl into the forward access noted above, if you're small enough.

I highly recommend a camera to access your lines and

Thank you so much, I will look for it there, the previous owner put new carpet everywhere and I have to dig around just to find the access panels.

Last edited:
I know you probably won’t know this because it’s not your model but do you think there is another holding tank in the aft cabin by the rear head, this is where I have the odor and it’s not coming from the toilet itself? This is a three head model.

It is possible, but I doubt it. If the smell is confined to an area, you likely have lines that are permeated. But the old Y switch likely needs to be removed or replaced. It is also possible the toilet fittings themselves are leaking. You can use a dye to determine this. I thought my holding tank was leaking but it wasn't.

If your sanitation lines are older than 10 years, you need to replace all of them. I replaced the old salt water toilets as salt water in holding tanks requires extra attention to avoid the odors.

How old are your toilets?

Also, don't be fooled for salt water in bilge smell. It can also smell like a leak.

Lastly, you can have your bilge water tested for waste matter.

I hope some of this is helpful.

I am in the process of purchasing this yacht and this was one of the concerns. when we had the survey done the surveyor couldn't find the tank because there was new carpet everywhere and he didn't feel comfortable tearing it up everywhere looking for it. The owner didn't know when the hoses were done last and he has owned it for 6 years so my guess is that they are a lot older then 10 years, so they need to be replaced. we are making a list of requirements for the purchase as we speak.

My advice, allow 15k to have someone do the sanitation. It's messy and ugly and those who do this for a living are exceptional at it and have the tools. Best money I spent.

I'd make the surveyor tear it up. If he just replaced the carpet and then is selling the boat sounds like a reason to pull it up. He can certainly be careful doing do.

I'm out for remainder of day today but am around if you need more.

Back
Top Bottom