Finally Heading South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not far ahead of you Ted. Sitting in front of Deep Creek lock this morning. We got a late 1000 start Friday due to a failed raw water pump. Took two days to run the Chesapeake from Solomons. The fog was bad both days. Elizabeth City tonight. If forcasts hold we may hold up some where Thur and Friday due to weather. Safe travels. Pic is ballons we picked up yesterday South I Deltaville.

Conditions are rapidly deteriorating on the Chesapeake. Not enough wind to make the TF Burgee straighten.

20201108_082145.jpg

Probably be in Elizabeth city tomorrow night.

Ted

With any luck, maybe hurricane season will actually end on 30 November. Looks like we may luck out here in the panhandle and just get a bit of snotty weather on the backside of Eta, but we watch it carefully.

If you all think it calm there look here at Pairadice offshore Mazatlan Mexico. Trying to catch dinner!20201108_101001.jpeg20201108_093159.jpeg

Man, I'm jealous of that flat calm water. My trip down the jersey shore has been considerably splashier than that. Cape May today. Top of the Delaware Bay tomorrow.

Safe travels snowbirds :D

Ted,
Things in Crisfield have quieted down considerably since you left.:)

Attachments

• 2020-11-08.jpg
    2020-11-08.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 26
Ted,
Things in Crisfield have quieted down considerably since you left.:)

Hi Jim,

I really don't think that's possible. Any slower and time would be going backwards in Crisfield.

Ted

Man, I'm jealous of that flat calm water. My trip down the jersey shore has been considerably splashier than that. Cape May today. Top of the Delaware Bay tomorrow.

Safe travels snowbirds :D

I was about to write something smart, then realized Bad Karma has lots of opportunities to teach me a lesson.

Safe travels and the best of weather! :flowers:

Ted

Not too fast Ted.....the storm over Cuba today hasn't made up its mind to go away...become a bigger storm or where it wants to go.

Mother Nature decided to hold off tantalizing Florida with a tropical storm till I put my boat back in the water. :D

Ted is in 2017. Not to worry.

The leaves are turning on the Dismal Swamp Canal.

20201108_154417.jpg

Ted

Ted is in 2017. Not to worry.

Certainly a better year! Actually I didn't come this way in the Fall of 2017, I took another man-made canal South, the Tombigbee.

Ted

It was sad today knowing Robert would not greet us,

Yes, I didn't know he had passed until the lockmaster told me. :cry:

Are you staying tomorrow in Elizabeth city? I'm at the welcome center, and will probably stay at the Jeanette food service dock above the bridge tomorrow night.

Ted

Some more pics from the AICW:

Monday morning sunrise in the Dismal Swamp on the way to South Mill Lock. Saw a deer swim across the canal, unfortunately not fast enough with the camera.
20201109_071324.jpg

Monday night I anchored at the South end of the Alligator river, slick calm all night. This is Tuesday morning at 6:15 going across the Alligator river Pungo river canal, still calm.
20201110_061459.jpg

Tuesday night I was anchored out in Greens Creek behind Oriental, NC. Dinner at M & Ms, Mixed Cajun Grill! :thumb: Wednesday morning sunrise overlooking the Neuse river.
20201111_064226.jpg

When you see the next 3 pics while cruising, you know you're going through Camp Lejeun.
20201111_140107.jpg

20201111_142333.jpg

20201111_142452.jpg

Anchored this evening in Mile Hammock at the Southwest end of Camp Lejeun.

Ted

First time I saw a deer swim, I was surprised how poorly they swim. I was scared it wasn't going to make it across. Guess they swim better than it looks.

As to the sign, Tune in to AM 530. Does everyone here have an AM radio on board?

Hi Jim,

I really don't think that's possible. Any slower and time would be going backwards in Crisfield.

Ted

From my very short experience there I will happily second that! :D

We get Sonas back from the yard Friday (delayed because they couldn't replicate my overcharging issue so I told them to order in and swap out both regulators).

Our spare room is chock-a-block with provisions ready to board!

So we are off south beginning on Sunday 15th, Palm Coast, Halifax, a few days with friends at Cocoa, Fort Pierce, target being in Indiantown 11/21 before crossing the Lake. Then FM and FM Beach/Sanibel for a week or so before heading back. Decided not to risk going to Naples and Marco in case the weather turns bad and we can't get back before Christmas.

We are spoiling ourselves with marinas this trip rather than anchoring out because we haven't had a vacation since spring. Plus the new pooch is still adapting!

Holler if you cruise past us, but keep the wake down buddy!

Last edited:
First time I saw a deer swim, I was surprised how poorly they swim. I was scared it wasn't going to make it across. Guess they swim better than it looks.

As to the sign, Tune in to AM 530. Does everyone here have an AM radio on board?

Have never understood why they don't broadcast it on VHF 16. I assume they block the waterway and then do a flyover. I'm guessing a warning round out of a howitzer would probably get everyone's attention.

Ted

Have never understood why they don't broadcast it on VHF 16. I assume they block the waterway and then do a flyover. I'm guessing a warning round out of a howitzer would probably get everyone's attention.

Ted
I call the Marines the day before. They will tell you is there are exercises. (910) 451-3064.

Generally any typical car stereo radio/CD/iPod player will have AM.

Have never understood why they don't broadcast it on VHF 16. I assume they block the waterway and then do a flyover.

We've seen lots of small boats in the area when we've gone through there. Little guys who very likely don't have VHF...

I call the Marines the day before. They will tell you is there are exercises. (910) 451-3064.

Yep, easiest/best way for us. Kinda funny responses sometimes... like when the Range Control Officer says something like "Uhhh.... hang on a minute, I'll have to check..."

:)

-Chris

When I got delayed a few years ago, it was a NOTAM for a week ahead and rhe USCG was broadcasting it several times daily..but I think that was a big exercise.

When just using a small firing range or doing anphib ops of a limited nature....a call is your best bet.

I wonder if the bridge tender gets notified?

"Bridge, this is USMC on channel 13."

"DUCK!!"

Thank you! That should take make for a better planned transiting.

Ted

"Bridge, this is USMC on channel 13."

"DUCK!!"

The bridge is not close to the ranges but I thought if hard to get anyone else a call to the bridge might give relavent info the quickest.

When I was on the other end of the USMC equation, it took many hours to get a sailboat to move from its anchorage. I don’t know if any hailing methods were used before a helo had to get dispatched.
We were only firing 5,56 at the time, but we were on a mountain in Hawaii so we had the altitude advantage. [emoji847]

Generally any typical car stereo radio/CD/iPod player will have AM.

And if I was in my car, that would be extremely helpful. Many more cars are skipping AM. In fact, electric cars are leading the way as the radio gets interference from the auto. Tesla was the first to dump them.

I'm seeing a lot of boats only with satellite radios today although most still have AM/FM, but it's far from 100% now.

I can't recall the last time we listened to a radio on a boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom