Transpac Eagle 32 Zinc Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Transpac Eagle 32
Getting ready for haul-out and survey on the 1987 Eagle 32 we’re buying and I have a couple of questions:

1. How many underwater zincs should there be, and what are their locations?

2. What is the rudder made out of? Does it have a zinc?

3. What sizes zincs do I need? I’m thinking that as long as the boat is out of the water, I’ll go ahead and replace the zincs - that way if our purchase goes through I’ve got a benchmark of when the zincs were 100%; if it doesn’t go thru, small investment for the parts/work.

The owner isn’t local and I don’t have contact info; the broker doesn’t know the answer to the questions. I’d like to have the info at hand, and the necessary zincs, when the boat comes out of the water.

Thanks!

As long as I’m asking: any items specific to the Eagle 32 that we should pay particular attention to in the survey?

First question is what kind of water will you be boating in? Salt, fresh or brackish? Do you have a bonding system with a large zinc for everything? Or do all your different components have individual zincs? (I am using "zinc" as a catch-all word. You may need magnesium or aluminum instead depending on where you boat)

I have aluminum anodes on my shafts, rudders and struts. I also have these elements attached to my modified bonding system with a large Divers Dream aluminum anode on the stern under the swim platform.

Thanks - we’ll be in salt to brackish water with occasional trips into fresh water rivers, so I’ve already figured on aluminum. I’ve had some luck with research and think I know what I need for the shaft and rudder. Don’t know if there’s a hull plate or not but she comes out of the water next week for survey and I figure we’ll know then - I’ll be able to put the other zincs on while she’s in the slings and then we’ll tackle whether or not there’s a hull plate. Thanks!

I have a 1987 Transpacific Eagle 32. I'm not aware of a hull plate on mine. The shaft is 1 1/4" dia. And the rudder I believe is plate steel. I can send you a pic if you'd like. We have a shaft zinc and a rudder zinc. The rudder zincs are round 3" one on either side.

The Eagle will have a black iron fuel tank under the the cockpit floor. Inspect it very well and note any signs of rust. There may be a sight tube under the sette on the back wall of the salon. Dig in there to check for rust at the lowest point at the front of the tank. That's where mine failed and we ended up with 140 gallons in the bilge. Check the fiberglass tabbing that holds the tank in place. If it's separated, you are on borrowed time with the tank.

I can't think of anything else inherent to the Eagle unless you have teak decks. I don't think it has them though.

Good luck, you have Great Taste...

I have a 1987 Transpacific Eagle 32. I'm not aware of a hull plate on mine. The shaft is 1 1/4" dia. And the rudder I believe is plate steel. I can send you a pic if you'd like. We have a shaft zinc and a rudder zinc. The rudder zincs are round 3" one on either side.

The Eagle will have a black iron fuel tank under the the cockpit floor. Inspect it very well and note any signs of rust. There may be a sight tube under the sette on the back wall of the salon. Dig in there to check for rust at the lowest point at the front of the tank. That's where mine failed and we ended up with 140 gallons in the bilge. Check the fiberglass tabbing that holds the tank in place. If it's separated, you are on borrowed time with the tank.

I can't think of anything else inherent to the Eagle unless you have teak decks. I don't think it has them though.

Good luck, you have Great Taste...

Thanks - good info! Looked OK.

What did you have to do to repair/replace the tank? Looked like it would require major surgery to get the old one out.

Have you had occasion to change the sight glass? This one was so stained couldn’t really see through it - and, if so, what did you use as the replacement?

Last edited:
What is the name of the boat you are buying?

Current name is “Unmerited Favor”, prior names “Sara Jay II” and “Merry Dolphin”

She was originally up in the Northeast; current owner had her trucked from Rhode Island to Alabama/Louisiana.

There’s a LOT of historical info on board, haven’t had much chance to review it, lots of maintenance records and such. Will make good reading in some secluded anchorage somewhere.

Quick update - survey went well. From various research we found that the prop shaft is 1 1/2” and rudder takes an R-4 disc; and there’s a screw on “bullet” type zinc for the end of the prop shaft. So we showed up armed with an aluminum R-4, a 1 1/2” collar and one of the bullets. We found no zincs on the shaft, and a fair zinc on the rudder. Replaced the R-4 and the “bullet”, the collar we had purchased was too wide to fit the space between where the shaft exited the log, and the prop - it’s going to take a narrower one, I think I’ve found one on-line that would fit but the boat went back in the water with only the new R-4 and bullet, assuming purchase goes through we’ll be hauling in Dec/Jan for bottom paint and probably a new drip less shaft seal (the current flexible seal is corroded and surveyor suggested replacement) so new shaft zinc would go on then.

To close the loop, we bought the boat, and here’s what we found: there are three underwater zincs. The rudder takes an R-4 disc. The prop shaft is 1 1/2” and there are two zincs: a “bullet” style, screw-on on the end of the shaft; and, between the prop and the shaft log, there’s enough shaft showing to take a narrow, no more than 3/4” wide, collar zinc. Thanks to all who responded to this thread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom