View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 02:46 AM   #1
Franco

City: Perth
Just another guy...

Well... after so long lurking and reading I decided to "wet" my feet and introduce myself.
I am 6 months into researching a suitable boat and so far it has been just lots of driving (albeit pleasurable by both wife and me) but nothing that stand up as... yeah this one would do!

What we are after is a boat to safely engage in coastal navigation and not be tied up to marine to marine hopping. One day in the next two to three years maybe do a small passage of 850nm from Gladstone QLD to Noumea, New Caledonia.

We are in Western Australia and finding a vessel here is not as easy as in USA or Europe. Covid is even limiting our possibility to fly interstate to check potential boats.

We pretty much know what we don't want in a boat but I am curious about some logistic aspect of coastal navigation. How do you find out where there is a refueling dock? Seriously, pull up a map and look where Perth is. Then think of circumnavigating Australia south-south/east to reach Brisbane. How do you guys organize your voyage? It seems as I can't figure it out.

Someone has to ask a different question from Anchor or twin/single screw?
BTW I prefer single but the only boat we can afford are all twin. Really I am not thinking about anchors yet, maintenance will be done 90% by us as DIY.
Another question, how do you check/inspect diesel tanks? I can check an engine, I can hear it running, I can check tranny.... but I am actually scared of having tank failure...

Oh yeah, I am Franco and almost retired, we are too old to play caveman in a sailing boat, I am an engineer with quite a bit of experience on engines (not that much on marine), we both ex divers and wife used to enjoy sailing a lot in her younger days.

Has anyone ever thought of having a page where we can see where the other members are? Example, I am sure there are others like me in Australia, would be nice to see who else is around for more specific questions about our area....

Anyway, cheers to all.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote