New - TF Port Captain Feature Announcement and How To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, I think we all might be over-engineering this a smidge!

Eh. There are only 35 of us registered so far. But I did notice that one could access the members list, and therefore the Port Captain list without logging in or even being a member of TF. That seems to be a bit of oversight.

Fort Myers Port Captain

This sounds like an interesting idea. Wondering if there are some assumed requirements / recommendations. The big one that comes to mind is how much a person should be around. As an example, I could be a Port Captain in Fort Myers. Problem is that I'm gone 6 months a year, so more of a virtual Port Captain. Maybe some guidance on how much time a person should likely be in the area to be a good candidate, would be helpful.

Ted

I can fill in when your aren't around, I'm here year around.

Port Captain

TF Port Captain Feature

Trawler Forum (TF) is initiating a new Port Capt feature that allows members to volunteer as a Port Capt and also provides a search function to return a list of volunteer Port Capts by Country, State/Province and City. Credit where due… Menzies got the ball rolling with a recent post and several members expressed support and willingness to volunteer as a Port Capt. The site team has reviewed the request and several approaches and is implementing the following Port Capt feature:

Volunteering

TF members will note some new and revised fields, in our User Profiles, that are used by this function. Volunteers will need to access their profiles (via the link below or User CP on the top banner) to review and update the applicable fields:

The link to update your profile details (and check this option) is here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

Port Capt - Check box that confirms you are volunteering and is used by the search function
Checking this option affirms your willingness to help out other members as a Local Port Guide, providing local knowledge and other support as able or willing. This might include offering shuttle services for provisioning or emergency repairs, offering knowledge about local services and anchorages, or even meeting up with visiting members at a local spot for a meet and greet. This is an entirely voluntary activity and members may choose how much time they spend or whom they guide.
O Yes O No

Country – Used in the search function
State / Province - Select your State / Province as applicable
City - Nearest city to "port / area"
Port / Area - area covered as a Port Capt – Describe the area you are familiar with and/or willing to provide assistance.
Don't forget to Scroll and Save when edits are finished.

As a volunteer it is up to you to decide what assistance and services you are willing to provide.
Some things to consider are listed below:

1. Provide "local knowledge" - for things like marinas, anchorages, restaurants, attractions, services, supplies, repairs, etc, etc
2. Meet & Greet - willing to meet TF members for social activities
3. Shuttle Service(s) - willing to shuttle visitors for provisioning, supplies, etc
4. Emergency Services - willing to assist those in an emergency with shuttle, repair recommendations, etc

Volunteer Port Capt's can use the Profile Comments portion of the User Profile to add a commentary regarding areas you are familiar with and services you are willing to provide.

Note: The Port Capt position and use of the TF Port Capt search feature is strictly voluntary and a way of connecting members with volunteers. Trawler Forum or Social Knowledge provides no screening, recommendation nor endorsement of volunteer(s) or users.

Searching for Port Captains
Members seeking info or assistance should search the area of interest and contact the volunteer Port Capt via TF Personal Message (PM).
The members list is sortable here:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/memberlist.php?do=search
Just enter the Country, State/Province and select Yes for the Port Capt option then scroll down and Search. If the returned list is long you can narrow it down by including City and/or Port

On behalf of the Site Team

When will this go live? I don't see PORT CAPTAIN on my EDIT DETAILS screen.

When will this go live? I don't see PORT CAPTAIN on my EDIT DETAILS screen.

User CP then Edit Your Details.

You will see the text box and a Yes/No selection.

This sounds like an interesting idea. Wondering if there are some assumed requirements / recommendations. The big one that comes to mind is how much a person should be around. As an example, I could be a Port Captain in Fort Myers. Problem is that I'm gone 6 months a year, so more of a virtual Port Captain. Maybe some guidance on how much time a person should likely be in the area to be a good candidate, would be helpful.

Ted
Ted
No absolute requirements imposed or expected.
I'd suggest people use the Profile Comment option / feature to make any / all comments, caveats, restrictions, etc. Even add a note to check with you well ahead to ascertain your schedule / availability as you are an active cruiser.

You know, I think we all might be over-engineering this a smidge!

Wifey B: A little? My god people either sign up or not for all or part and when someone needs help either provide it or not, you're not entering a binding legal contract or anything. Seemed so simple and yet....:nonono::eek::rolleyes:

What? I only see one person with bunched panties here.

If the simple F off doesn't work, eleven years in the submarine force taught me an arcane methodology of lacing the common vernacular with obscenities and adjectives to create dramatic verbal affronts insulting ones intelligence, hereditary (or offspring), spouse, and physical attributes.

Accentuated by some highly animated matching gestures. Some people learn by hearing, some by seeing.

Accentuated by some highly animated matching gestures. Some people learn by hearing, some by seeing.

Did you have your sense of humor surgically removed?

If you have been around for a while may recognize that outside of technical posts, l am rarely serious.

I was merely parodying the recent "step on my boat" tough guy act, albeit without guns or violence.

That's okay though. Most of my jokes are for myself anyways. [emoji846]

Last edited:
I dont think I recall people getting all worked up over a volunteer effort that has yet to be tried here.
For those with reservations just sit on the sidelines and see how things unfold.
Many of us have been doing this informally for years and find it a great way to meet others and just socialize. If I was ever in a bind it certainly would be comforting to have a network to see if anyone could assist. My experience has always been that boaters are a helpful bunch of folks and many, many, many more good ones than bad.
If you are the type that typically looks for all the negatives and things that could go wrong it may be best to just stay on the sidelines.

Did you have your sense of humor surgically removed?

If you have been around for a while may recognize that outside of technical posts, l am rarely serious.

I was merely parodying the recent "step on my boat" tough guy act, albeit without guns or violence.

That's okay though. Most of my jokes are for myself anyways. [emoji846]

I could ask you the same question......I was not-serious and tagging on to your train of thought, all in fun. So, disregard.

You know, whenever something goes awry or too serious, I always bring this up on the computer;

[BTW over 87 million views, quite a number of them mine!]

Last edited:
I could ask you the same question......I was not-serious and tagging on to your train of thought, all in fun. So, disregard.
D'oh. My bad.

My dog's name is Oscar, by the way.

For those with reservations just sit on the sidelines and see how things unfold.

Wifey B: How do you make reservations? :rofl: Maybe that's what is needed, a system to make reservations with your TF Captain? :rofl:

:hide:

Wifey B: How do you make reservations? :rofl: Maybe that's what is needed, a system to make reservations with your TF Captain? :rofl:

Good idea.

This way I could book myself up to show my calendar as completely full. I could then bask in the accolades of my apparent graciousness, while making the other Port Captains green with envy, without doing a thing!

Of course, I would have to buy my own beer.

Hmmmm. Better think that one through some more.

Ok I’m on board for Apalachicola, Fl. I’ll be glad to give tours of Oyster City Brewing Company and assist in any way possible. Working with the city fathers and mothers to improve facilities and enhance the welcome mat. :):socool:

Last edited:

I guess i wouldn't term it reservations but I'd suggest a PM stating schedule or tentative plans and any wants / needs. PC can respond with agreement, suggedtions, limitations, etc to see if there is common ground.

Yes I have. Dr Nichols was an icon health care provider in the city...

Yes I have. Dr Nichols was an icon health care provider in the city...

Lived next door to us. A great man.

He passed August, three years ago.

Last edited:
You know, whenever something goes awry or too serious, I always bring this up on the computer;

[BTW over 87 million views, quite a number of them mine!]

Never Mind!

Ok I’m on board for Apalachicola, Fl. I’ll be glad to give tours of Oyster City Brewing Company and assist in any way possible. Working with the city fathers and mothers to improve facilities and enhance the welcome mat. :):socool:

Wifey B: Oh you shouldn't have.....my fave.....I tried to resist but....:rofl:

Bet you guys expect Crosby and Hope, but a change this time. There are lots of songs about one of my favorite towns.

https://www.reverbnation.com/BooRadleyMusic/song/24509245-apalachicola-its-where-i-go

TF Port Captain Feature

Trawler Forum (TF) is initiating a new Port Capt feature that allows members to volunteer as a Port Capt and also provides a search function to return a list of volunteer Port Capts by Country, State/Province and City. Credit where due… Menzies got the ball rolling with a recent post and several members expressed support and willingness to volunteer as a Port Capt. The site team has reviewed the request and several approaches and is implementing the following Port Capt feature:

Volunteering

TF members will note some new and revised fields, in our User Profiles, that are used by this function. Volunteers will need to access their profiles (via the link below or User CP on the top banner) to review and update the applicable fields:

The link to update your profile details (and check this option) is here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile[/B]

Port Capt - Check box that confirms you are volunteering and is used by the search function
Checking this option affirms your willingness to help out other members as a Local Port Guide, providing local knowledge and other support as able or willing. This might include offering shuttle services for provisioning or emergency repairs, offering knowledge about local services and anchorages, or even meeting up with visiting members at a local spot for a meet and greet. This is an entirely voluntary activity and members may choose how much time they spend or whom they guide.
O Yes O No

Country – Used in the search function
State / Province - Select your State / Province as applicable
City - Nearest city to "port / area"
Port / Area - area covered as a Port Capt – Describe the area you are familiar with and/or willing to provide assistance.
Don't forget to Scroll and Save when edits are finished.

As a volunteer it is up to you to decide what assistance and services you are willing to provide.
Some things to consider are listed below:

1. Provide "local knowledge" - for things like marinas, anchorages, restaurants, attractions, services, supplies, repairs, etc, etc
2. Meet & Greet - willing to meet TF members for social activities
3. Shuttle Service(s) - willing to shuttle visitors for provisioning, supplies, etc
4. Emergency Services - willing to assist those in an emergency with shuttle, repair recommendations, etc

Volunteer Port Capt's can use the Profile Comments portion of the User Profile to add a commentary regarding areas you are familiar with and services you are willing to provide.

Note: The Port Capt position and use of the TF Port Capt search feature is strictly voluntary and a way of connecting members with volunteers. Trawler Forum or Social Knowledge provides no screening, recommendation nor endorsement of volunteer(s) or users.

Searching for Port Captains
Members seeking info or assistance should search the area of interest and contact the volunteer Port Capt via TF Personal Message (PM).
The members list is sortable here:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/memberlist.php?do=search
Just enter the Country, State/Province and select Yes for the Port Capt option then scroll down and Search. If the returned list is long you can narrow it down by including City and/or Port

On behalf of the Site Team

Signed up for Eastern Lake Ontario Great idea.

I signed up as Master and Commander (aka Port Captain) of the California Delta. If anyone needs help, recommendations, transportation assistance or help drinking their IPAs, please feel free to contact me.

Caveat Emptor: I work for free and you get what you pay for.

I signed up for Mystic, CT Area.

Area being defined as from Old Saybrook, CT to Watch Hill, RI including Fishers Island Sound.

If someone is in need of information or dire need of help I would also include out to Newport and Block Island.

Congratulations to Wayne - whjkelly - who is #100 to sign up as a volunteer Port Capt.
Also a big THANKS to the other 99 that have volunteered.

Not a bad start for a new TF feature that has only been in existence for a little over a month.
Hoping this works out well for users and volunteers.
Also a Thank You to Janet H - TF Admin - that made this all possible, including the easy search box.

Just a suggestion but it would make connecting with a "stranger" in a distant port easier if cruisers were flying a TF burgee to make it easy for Port Captain volunteers to spot you.

Just a suggestion but it would make connecting with a "stranger" in a distant port easier if cruisers were flying a TF burgee to make it easy for Port Captain volunteers to spot you.

Are you sure you're not getting a cut of the action on those, Don? :D :hide:

Back
Top Bottom