Bottom Paint Decision Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwiggl

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cady Girl
Vessel Make
Californian, Seaswirl, Brig, all others sold.
The Californian is going up on the hard for the winter for a "big maintenance winter". One of the projects is blasting the bottom, blisters no doubt, 2 coats of epoxy sealer, and antifouling. I am sure the coating world has changed a lot in the last decade.
Question #1: What are your recommendations on most effective antifouling paint for the Chesapeake Bay, Annapolis and south of there.
Question #2: How much will I need? She is 45'X15". I am thinking I should climb under and actually measure the SQ Ft. But should add a certain % above that to assure I don't run out.
Thanks

What blister protection are you going to use? If it is Interlux Interprotect then I don’t think 2 coats is adequate. Some yards will tell 2 coats is enough but you should check with Interlux to make sure. Last time I used it I put 6 coats on.

I am with Dave. If I remember correctly Interlux recommends a minimum of 5 coats of Interprotect.
I can't recommend an antifouling for that area.

Some boatyards will quote 2 coats so they can keep the price down. I would rather pay more for the right amount of coats to help assure that blister done appear later. It has been a while since I did one but I think that Interlux recommendation was use X number of gallons and keep putting on coats until I ran out of paint. I bought an extra gallon and ended up with 6 coats. This is a case where more coats is better.

Wow! 6 coats!
I hear ya and 2 coats is exactly what the yard owner said - if he did it.
Thanks for the link. I have homework to do...

We have used Petit Ultima SR60. 6 mo Chesapeake 5 mo Florida. Seems to work well. Pricey $350 gal. Two coats, 5 gal for LWL 38. 14.5 beam, planning haul.

We have used Petit Ultima SR60. 6 mo Chesapeake 5 mo Florida. Seems to work well. Pricey $350 gal. Two coats, 5 gal for LWL 38. 14.5 beam, planning haul.

Call Interlux and give them hull length and beam and they will tell you how many gallons to use. Then just keep painting until it is gone. Timing is important, y enough before the next coat. Too dry and you have to sand the last coat. Too wet and the last coat will lift off. You may end up putting a coat on in the night but it is better than sanding the last coat. Yards will tell you what you want to hear, cheaper isn’t always better. Good luck.

Howdy, I had micron extra on my boat and it didn’t work very well at all. Switched to Micron 66 and it’s fantastic so far, (six months) into paint job. Also added Prop Speed to prop and rudder. At our Marina, 66 seems to be the choice for ablative, but the cost...$$$$. Sure there are also great alternatives as well.

Back
Top Bottom