Ocean Alexander purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseclosed

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Angel Sea
Vessel Make
2018 Beneteau 44ST
Hi all
I am new to this forum. Looking to purchase an Ocean Alexander 45-50 sedan. I am located in South west Fl. Hoping to hear from OA owners on this site with advice and information regarding OA line of boats. We looked at an 07 45 this weekend appears to be the perfect boat for us .However discovered numerous leaks around windows which I feel would require major repairs and numerous additional cosmetic issues. . Any insight with regard a purchase of an OA will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Welcome aboard. Leaks are nothing new, but on a boat that new it is disappointing. Are you locked into OA, or are you looking at other brands?

You might want to visit the "TrawlerBuilders" section here on the forum. In my experience window leaks aren't all that expensive or difficult to repair...unless the leaks damaged the interior wood trim.

You might want to visit the "TrawlerBuilders" section here on the forum. In my experience window leaks aren't all that expensive or difficult to repair...unless the leaks damaged the interior wood trim.

Thank you for your reply. Yes the wood around the windows were wet and discolored.

I would be concerned what else the seller had left unattended.

Most OA’s suffer from condensation issues around the windows. Actual leaks is less common. Left unchecked condensation leaks can cause serious cosmetic damage. Not seeing photos it’s impossible to know what you are seeing and how serious it is.

In the mid to early 2000s OA moved some of their building to mainland China. There were some quality issues while they trained the mainland workers on the idea of quality instead of quantity. They introduced the Altus brand to differentiate between boats built in China instead of Taiwan. Once the quality reached OA standards the Altus nomenclature was dropped. If I remember correctly OA's under 80 ft are all built in China while the larger boats are built in Taiwan..

I would be concerned what else the seller had left unattended.

Yes absolutely. Bow rail stantions were loose. Window issues appeared to have been going on for a while, Black stained wood and trim.It is a shame the boat has low hrs not much use.

Welcome aboard. Leaks are nothing new, but on a boat that new it is disappointing. Are you locked into OA, or are you looking at other brands?

Would also consider a Grand Banks Europa 42-47.Presently in a Sea Ray 44 Sundancer. We are looking to get into a more traditional style boat better suited for extended trips

I have a 2006 52 Sedan for sale, some info can be found in the Boats for Sale section of this forum. The listing is on Yachtworld. We bought her in October 2017 and she spent the next 7 months at Cay Marine in Miami undergoing an extensive refit; she was in good shape but this was our "last boat" so I blew a ton of money on her. The details are on Yachtworld. A health problem has forced the sale. If you are interested in an OA, you will not find a nicer one on the market. Amazing Grace is docked in Hampton VA. We owned a GB for 10 years before buying this boat, they make a nice yacht but there is a ton of difference between the two.

Attachments

• IMG_0943.jpeg
    IMG_0943.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have a 2006 52 Sedan for sale, some info can be found in the Boats for Sale section of this forum. The listing is on Yachtworld. We bought her in October 2017 and she spent the next 7 months at Cay Marine in Miami undergoing an extensive refit; she was in good shape but this was our "last boat" so I blew a ton of money on her. The details are on Yachtworld. A health problem has forced the sale. If you are interested in an OA, you will not find a nicer one on the market. Amazing Grace is docked in Hampton VA. We owned a GB for 10 years before buying this boat, they make a nice yacht but there is a ton of difference between the two.

Thank you for the response. Sorry to hear you are having health issues .I wish you well as you recover. Yes I have looked at your boat on YW it is magnificent. Cay marine is well known for quality work and your OA shows the level of work they do .Unfortunately your boat is above what my budget will allow. Best of luck with selling your beautiful boat

Case
In a strong sellers market, which appears the case now, good repair skills and repair time may be required to find the right priced vessel. Well maintained vessels are not plentiful or cheap in the OA arena you're perusing. Check out Codger's thread on a sold OA 42 from two months or so ago posted on TF.

Had an OA for over 20 years. Not my first boat nor my last but the best so far. Very seaworthy, low profile, wide beam. 3208 Cats ran like a dream and very dependable. Cruised from Florida/Bahamas to Venezuela and back. Recommend very highly.

Back
Top Bottom