View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 03:15 AM   #41
Seevee
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
My Mainship has a right turning prop and backs to starboard. It's VERY easy to control, overall. Helm on starboard with only a starboard door.

I thought it would be hard so I got a left turning prop and tried it. My ZF Hurth transmission handles the prop turning either way at any RPM, and changing the rotation with the Glendinning controls is not hard. However, it didn't make that much difference so I went back to the right prop.

In reverse, I can control the direction of the stern with the wheel... IF I go slow and occasionally coast a bit. The prop effect is much more pronounced with a goose of power, so that is used to my advantage.

Regardless of where the stern is, if I get a center cleat spring line on, I'm home free... just a matter of slowing working the boat up to the dock, and just leave in gear to get the rest of the lines. (wheel to port for a starboard tie, which is 95% of the time).

Now, add the stern thruster and makes it pretty easy.

I still have trouble backing into a slip with a current or wind. To counter act this, I've thought of adjusting the rudder for more swing, which Ted suggested I think about. But, that happens so rarely, I've put that project on the back burner.

Also, would have trouble single handling a port tie with a wind pushing me away.