Ford-Lehman - what is this part?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
OK, firstly this turbocharged FL is in Texas, and the boat it is in is being worked on by a friend of mine for a friend of his to get it ready for sale. The engine is taking a long time to begin showing heat on the gauge compared to its twin and then just keeps right on going until it is overheating. My friend is an experienced mechanic on much bigger engines on charter boats, but he is NOT experienced on FLs. He is looking into all the normal causes of overheating, but we are both wondering what this piece of equipment with three hoses On the coolant, NOT saltwater side is. That's the heat exchanger it is attached to.
The upper hose runs off the the turbo,and the smallest hose probably is going to the shaft packing. The hose on the left comes from the coolant reservoir.

Attachments

• FL ht exchngr.jpg
    FL ht exchngr.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 42
Don't know FL well, but looks like a thermostat housing.

Makes sense, but surely somebody with direct knowledge will pop along here in a minute. He doesn't want to pull it apart without knowing. I suggested, and he may well call American Diesel.

And the winner is.... Lepke as confirmed by the boys in Kilmarnock. It's a thermostat housing. Thanks.

It’s a big old thermostat!

Pop test it in boiling water.

American Diesel has the gasket.

Just saw this thread, I have those on my SP225s. It is indeed the thermostat housing.

It’s a big old thermostat!

Pop test it in boiling water.

American Diesel has the gasket.

He already did. New stat on order.

Back
Top Bottom