Furuno Wireless Radar- any input?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Hey All,
Looking at the Furuno Wireless Radar as a back up radar. Looking at the reviews online look pretty good.
Does anyone have any real life experience to share?
Pros?
Cons?
Thanks for any input.
Taras

Good question since I have also looked at it and it is interesting. My primary is my iPad and it would be a nice tool. I would also like ais.

very cool link Sean9c. Thank you for that!
Has anyone actually purchased the Furuno Wireless Radar that can provide real life feedback on it?
Thanks for any input!
Taras

Good question since I have also looked at it and it is interesting. My primary is my iPad and it would be a nice tool. I would also like ais.

What do you when your IPad battery runs low, just crash into the nearest object? :mad::mad:

It's on our list for upgrades. Keeps getting pushed down the list for other stuff. If it integrated with Timezero Navigator it'd already be on the boat.

I helped a friend install one on his boat and I was impressed. Easy installation and worked just like a wired radar.

We are also considering it as a secondary, and would like some useful feedback.

I have used the demo app and it’s easy enough to operate.

Thanks

We are also considering it as a secondary, and would like some useful feedback.

I have used the demo app and it’s easy enough to operate.

Thanks

I just finished installing Furono wireless radar today and it fired up first try, works OK! Top pic is what's inside the dome. Comes with a 1 meter cable/plug.

Second pic is the bottom, showing 4 mounting bolts (10 mm)

Third pic is running the radar on the bench at home. Powered up with a small motorcycle battery. Download the Furono app to iPad, pick the radar as local wifi, load the password and it takes off!

Attachments

• DSCN4853.jpg
    DSCN4853.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN4855.jpg
    DSCN4855.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN4856.jpg
    DSCN4856.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Nice!

It will be great to hear how you like it in daily use once you get it all installed.

First pic is ammeter with the radar running: 1.5 amps at 12.5 volts DC.

Second pic is scan from the boat today of La Conner north basin looking west out to the channel. Not to shabby. I have a lot to learn now, do some tests and tuning next time up to the boat.

I got power to the new dome through a couple wires in the old radar cable. The old cable is 14 pin for an analog radar. That cable routes through the overhead in the cabin and down a corner for over 25 feet. Did not make sense to tear out all the overhead to route a cable for 1.5 amps of 12 volts DC.

The schematic shows tying the shield for the power cable to ground at both ends. Its tied to the the antennae chassis in the dome. I have not carried the shield ground back to the boat yet, see how it behaves with the shielded cable run down the radar mast for 7 feet open-ended.

All this was less than a boat buck: radome and 15 meter cable. Plus a day or two of retired labor.

If you want to check it out sometime, let me know, my winter schedule is TBD to mid Jan.

Attachments

• DSCN4858.jpg
    DSCN4858.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN4861.jpg
    DSCN4861.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom