Dock lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryant

Guru
Vessel Name
Sakura Perdido
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 Classic
What are the best dock lines available?

New England Rope
Miami Cordage
Yale Cordage

Buy when on sale, makes for good lines.

Also, there's some cheaper stuff out there that's good value like Amarine Made. I've had that last for years and not bad, but like some better line if it's going to be critical.

All nylon has a lot of stretch.
I put newish 3 strand nylon spring lines on Willy and was amazed how much they stretched. Many times going to the boat I saw the springs had stretched some more and needed to be re-tied to take up slack.

These lines are gold in color and wonder if gold colored line stretches more than white?

I typically use any decent brand nylon double braid for dock lines. I've found they tend to get very slack when wet (rain or morning dew) and then tighten back up as they dry. In case color matters, my lines are all black.

On boats under maybe 40 feet, you will probably use lines that are larger than strictly necessary because it's more comfortable to pull on a half linch or larger line, so the line is not as important as chafe protection. We use discarded fire hose, which you can buy very cheap on eBay.

Above that size, I would think very hard about using nylon for dock lines. The stretch is great until the line or a cleat lets go. People have been killed by nylon. If you use a spring line for docking (which is the only way to go), it absolutely must not be nylon.

We often cruise with friends who are not particularly nautical, so three of our four cruising dock lines is a different color 3/4" polyester. The bow aft spring is 1" Spectra.

What are the best dock lines available?

Hard to say "best." I like New England Rope, and as far as I know that's what West Marine sells as their own brand, too.

I also prefer double-braid, too. Feels softer than three-strand... although it certainly will pick up splinters that can do a number on you...

These lines are gold in color and wonder if gold colored line stretches more than white?

NER says white and gold are the "strongest" (my paraphrase) and all other colors are less so. No clue why...

-Chris

On boats under maybe 40 feet, you will probably use lines that are larger than strictly necessary because it's more comfortable to pull on a half linch or larger line, so the line is not as important as chafe protection. We use discarded fire hose, which you can buy very cheap on eBay.

Above that size, I would think very hard about using nylon for dock lines. The stretch is great until the line or a cleat lets go. People have been killed by nylon. If you use a spring line for docking (which is the only way to go), it absolutely must not be nylon.

We often cruise with friends who are not particularly nautical, so three of our four cruising dock lines is a different color 3/4" polyester. The bow aft spring is 1" Spectra.

Until you get into much larger and heavier boats than most of us here have, stretch in a dock line (including spring lines) is critical for safety. With a 300k lb boat, you don't want much stretch.

But with a 30k lb boat, the boat moves far more from wave action, wind gusts, etc. So having stretch to absorb that is crucial to not ripping out cleats, etc. You just want to size the lines so they're not excessively stretchy. My 5/8" double braid nylon is definitely not too stretchy and I sometimes route lines so they're longer (more stretch) to avoid shock loading.

Our marina requires rope be 1 size up than would normally be used. i.e. 3/4" line required on a 36-46' boat, 1" for 46'-55', etc...

I found Knot & Rope Supply online. They provided quality ropes at a good value, quick turn around and great customer service.

Need rub protection? You can often find a large coil used firehose pretty cheap on a site called "Repurposed Materials".

In addition to cutting sections and sliding over my home lines, I also split-open several ~18" lengths and added velcro tabs. When at a transient dock, they are easy to place as-needed. (Also a great gift for your marina friends!).

Our marina requires rope be 1 size up than would normally be used. i.e. 3/4" line required on a 36-46' boat, 1" for 46'-55', etc...

I'd consider that an inappropriate and dangerous requirement. That can lead to lines with not enough stretch, or that don't fit properly on cleats (cleats not big enough), etc.

I like 3 strand for spring lines cause I like them to stretch a bit for a softer direction change, and I generally make up my own from a large spool.
I use braid where I don't have room for much stretch.

I'd consider that an inappropriate and dangerous requirement. That can lead to lines with not enough stretch, or that don't fit properly on cleats (cleats not big enough), etc.

Agreed.

There are yachtie concepts of docklines and working commercial.

I don't favor either...somewhere in between seems to get the job done.

There's regular tie and storm tie. Guess which one gets the nod for better line with great chafe gear.

I like 3 strand for spring lines cause I like them to stretch a bit for a softer direction change, and I generally make up my own from a large spool.

Bingo! Best and clearest answer so far.

You always want your dock lines to be able to absorb some of the shock loading from passing wakes, etc.

Some people think "best" means "strongest" or "most expensive." Use what meets the requirements. I'd consider it dangerous to buy anything that's so expensive you'd be reluctant to replace it as needed.

While I think the OP was looking for the best brand (nicely answered already), TYPE certainly plays into the equation too. I tend to like twisted nylon for its stretchability and ease of splicing. If it's new, I can splice braided, and it handles better than twisted. There were times I needed the less stretchy braided nylon, and I moored my GB42 for fifteen years with a braided line across the stern to port and a twisted line to stbd because the pilings in my slip were 16 feet apart (beam was 13.8), and needed less stretch to the port piling because of the two mile fetch on that side and the likelihood of having some good sized sea from that direction. The bow lines were also this combo while the springs were twisted.

I like New England Rope. Lasts longer than cheaper rope. I used to splice both 3 strand and double braid but with arthritis in my hands I don’t do double braid anymore.

rslifkin wrote;
“In case color matters, my lines are all black.”

Why black? Is this vanity or engineering? Or is black best because the bird s*it dosn’t hide.

I buy a 300 ft spool of double braid from wherever when making up my home port slip lines. The last place was Miami Cordage. Avoid Chinese line at all costs. It does not hold up to Florida UV more than 6 months before turning to dust. Cut to size as needed. Use bowlines on the boat end and clove hitches on the pilings. No more splices for me. Preset to leave in place. Travel lines are store bought nylon double braid with an eye on one end. I carry 4 @ 25', 2 @35', and 2 @ 50'.

My docklines are green to match the hull's color. The lines should be consistent with the docks' cleats, sized to be easily handled, and not so fat/strong that one loses spring-action. Mine are 3/8 and half-inch diameter.

rslifkin wrote;

Why black? Is this vanity or engineering? Or is black best because the bird s*it dosn’t hide.

Boat has black bottom paint and boot stripe with brown canvas, so black is the natural cosmetic choice. Plus, other than bird poop, they never really look dirty.

rslifkin,
I’m in the black is for tugboats and old oil stoves camp.
Can’t understand why people like black.
But after the lines get a bit old and dirty you’re black lines may look better than my white.
I think black stuff is kind-of a fad. Don’t like the word but it may fit. Specifically though I’m not saying it is but if not ?........

I think black stuff is kind-of a fad. Don’t like the word but it may fit. Specifically though I’m not saying it is but if not ?........

I'm with ya on these annoying fads everywhere. I'll be glad when this cell phone and computer fad goes away and we can go back to the good old days.

And just to stay on topic...
Manila
Sisal
Cotton on Sundays

Last edited:
Long ones with chafe protection.

Just use chaffing gear that will allow water to get to the line, not like a waterproof hose. In a storm you want the rain to get to the nylon line to cool it. Nylon line can actually melt a bit from the heat build up. The water helps cool it so it doesn’t melt.

NER or Yale. Braided black nylon because it doesn’t look grungy and dock lines are supposed to provide stretch. It takes shock loading off deck and dock hardware.

The spare anchor rode and the storm snubber are nylon brait. It handles and stows even better than braided. I’m tempted to use it when replacing the present dock lines. Cost aside, it would probably be faddish and vain to do so and we couldn’t have that.

Blurb from Yale:

Nylon Brait
Nylon Brait combines braiding technology with plaited rope optimizing the best of both rope styles. Nylon Brait’s most outstanding feature is its high energy absorption, which comes from a combination of the very long yarn path and stranditure developed especially to maximize energy absorption.

Nylon Brait can absorb (or mitigate) greater amounts of dynamic energy than 3-stranded or braided rope structures with less damage. Brait’s energy absorption also keeps the corresponding loads on attachment points smaller since the rope does more work internally. Brait is easily spliced and the spliced rope delivers 100% of the ropes advertised strength.

rslifkin wrote;

I'm one that just doesn't like black... black anything. Just doesn't look good. White lines, white fenders, etc. and keep em clean and they look great.

Now I could argue for a different color for a different length, so I have blue for the long lines. Works for me.

I found Knot & Rope Supply online. They provided quality ropes at a good value, quick turn around and great customer service.

Need rub protection? You can often find a large coil used firehose pretty cheap on a site called "Repurposed Materials".

In addition to cutting sections and sliding over my home lines, I also split-open several ~18" lengths and added velcro tabs. When at a transient dock, they are easy to place as-needed. (Also a great gift for your marina friends!).

That's CRAZY! I could argue to have the size that's appropriate for your boat, and tell the marine so.

I'm one that just doesn't like black... black anything. Just doesn't look good. White lines, white fenders, etc. and keep em clean and they look great.

Now I could argue for a different color for a different length, so I have blue for the long lines. Works for me.

I'm not a fan of a lot of things in black (don't get me started on how stupid black wheels look on cars). My fender covers are brown sunbrella to match the canvas, for example. But nobody makes brown dock lines that I've seen, white lines end up looking grungy very quickly, and any other color just stands out too much. If the boat still had its original blue canvas, blue boot stripe and blue bottom paint, I'd either go with blue or gold braid for lines, I think.

Opinion

That was the idea rslifkin, to get you started. HaHa

Yup I think the black wheels look awful too.
One thing black that’s not a bad idea is the interior of cars. Light upholstery gets dirty looking much faster. But lighter colors look better if one can keep them clean. White upholstery looks terrible.

This is opinion .... 95%? .... must be some truth in it somewhere.
Truth .... people wear jeans because their appearance degrades minimally as they stain and get dirty w age. And that’s the truth

Last edited:
If you boat on the rivers with lots of grundgy lock walls, black fenders come in very handy. White ones will get ugly very fast. And while fender covers look nice on the boat, when going 'up' in a big lock your boat will get pushed into the wall with great force, and those covers get messed up/shredded pretty easily. But I do prefer white dock lines :thumb:

I am fortunate. I drive to Miami cordage, oder my lines, whipped and eye splices. I return in a couple of days to pick up the lines. They are all white double braided. The bow lines have galvanized thimbles and chains to reduce the probability of kids untying the lines. The stern lines .... I use the eye splice to feed the free end through it, low on the pilings (less flex of the pilings)
When I get new lines, I stretch them via the engine test.
On my AT34, I use 1/2 inch so the onboard cleats can accept a second line prior to a storm. Each line can be adjusted from the boat.
My traveling lines are all 1/2 inch.
There is formula for determining the recommended line length. I settled on 30 and 50 foot line lengths and 1 line 100 foot long for "just incase".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom