A Suggestion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I am in another cruiser group which uses a Port Captains process. Basically people who are will to help out when other members come into their area. They help out with information on the area, what facilities are available, best marinas, anchorages, sand bars, hauling and maintenance yards, etc. Plus are willing to shuttle folks to the stores or WM etc. if needs be.

Wondering if we should set up a sub forum with folks who would volunteer to be "Local Help" for others transiting the area.

We are in, when in town, for St Augustine through Fernandina and downtown Jax.

This is something we would find valuable in other areas, like the Miami area, SW Florida, Mid Atlantic, New England etc.

Thoughts?

I'd be up for that. I enjoy meeting other TFers when they pull in to Powell River.

I have brought this thread to mod attention for it to be considered. Sounds quite a good idea to me. :)

Sounds like an excellent idea!

I was once greeted by a Port Captain in Southport. He took me for propane and to the supermarket. He shopped with me because he “knew the store” and we were in and out quickly. And, I didn’t belong to his organization. The only reason he did the driving around was because I was uncomfortable driving his truck which was the first thing he offered me. This is a great idea for TF’ers.

We have been doing this for years and years here. We have had many loopers at our two open slips where we offer two 30-Amp shore service connections and water as well a rides to various stores. Never a dud amongst them.

This is how we met fellow TFer’s and other cruisers up north in BC, SE Alaska and Puget sound area. The hospitality from them was most appreciated and we tried to reciprocate in kind.
I hope the moderators can come up with a usable platform for all to use, Thanks for the suggestion Menzies!

I'd be up for that. I enjoy meeting other TFers when they pull in to Powell River.

I still have a file titled "Mike's notes" from all the helpful information you gave me a few years ago when I went up your way for the first time.:thumb:

I have some thoughts on how this could be successfully structured within the forum infrastructure. Peter B, I'll send you a PM.

I'm in. I have posted my phone number on the walls of various woman's bathroom. I guess no one needed my help.

I'm in while on land.

Well I think that's a great idea!

Fantastic idea...count me in.

I used to belong to another group and when you join you give them your city. There is a US map with push pins for all the members. You can zoom in and see who is where.

TF Port Capt feature is now Live!

Due to the interest expressed the Site Team is pleased to announce the new TF Port Capt feature. :dance:

Details and info on how to volunteer and search can be found at
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums...eature-announcement-how-54068.html#post937684

Search results will obviously be limited until we get a number of members "Volunteering" and updating their profiles.
I have tested the search prior to posting and was successful in returning one (myself) result. :thumb:

On behalf of the Site Team

Last edited:
When Yahoo shuts down all the groups, will we have an alternative?

This is how we met fellow TFer’s and other cruisers up north in BC, SE Alaska and Puget sound area. The hospitality from them was most appreciated and we tried to reciprocate in kind.
I hope the moderators can come up with a usable platform for all to use, Thanks for the suggestion Menzies!

Due to the interest expressed the Site Team is pleased to announce the new TF Port Capt feature. :dance:

Details and info on how to volunteer and search can be found at
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums...eature-announcement-how-54068.html#post937684

Search results will obviously be limited until we get a number of members "Volunteering" and updating their profiles.
I have tested the search prior to posting and was successful in returning one (myself) result. :thumb:

On behalf of the Site Team

I.m with Crusty. Funny this is the was we met in Port McNiell. He has regretted it ever since!!

I'm in - Galesville, just south of Annapolis - great idea!

Hey gang - that's pretty cool - this feature has been active for a few hours and I see 2 dozen volunteers already!
Keep up the good work

I'm in. Ithaca NY. Cayuga Lake.

I love this idea!!
Unfortunately, I live in a land-locked city 2 hours from my boat. HOWEVER, I we plan to spend a lot of time on our boat in the summers, so I will be a "local" at my marina when we are there. Signed up!! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom