Inflatable PFD recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
It occurred to me recently that our PFDs are about 12-15 years old. They're in decent shape and we test them periodically but it may be time for a new set. I suspect the technology has improved a bit over the years, no?

Looking for inflatables without a harness that auto-inflate and can accept something like an AIS MOB. More buoyancy better than less, and as comfortable/non-intrusive as possible.

Any recommendations? Strangely enough I can't find any good boating-oriented reviews/comparisons done in the past few years.

I've heard a couple positive anecdotal comments about these: Mustang HIT Inflatable

You can go high or low budget with these types of PFDs. I went more low budget and bought from Cabella's - self inflating, etc. Mustangs are quite good. One of the times I didn't buy local, I believe Mustang is/was out of Vancouver. Their survival suits are famous, sometimes you can purchase "seconds" from them.

Mustang is a good brand. Where you boat will also dictate the model to pick. Offshore or inland lakes etc.

When you buy one check the date on the bottle and tablet. Bottle no more than 5 years(?) and tablet 3 years. Also but a spare recharge kit, just in case you drop it in the water.

Can't remember off-hand the brand of our two originals, but more recently wifey found she liked one of the newer West Marine models. They have four different "levels" I think -- offshore, nearshore, inland, and the other one I'm forgetting just now -- and I think she has the "other one". Anyway, she found they fit her better.

Otherwise, Mustang has a very good rep.

-Chris

I wore the one linked in the OP - and the predecessor model - for the final years of my boating career. Only had to "use" it once and it inflated just fine :D But it was very rugged and resisted sunbleaching well, I had a small waterproof ELT attached. I also wore a little belt pack attached to the waist belt that carried a few survival sundries such as a small flare and a smoke bomb.

I can remember when inflatables were only rated for type V, nice that they now also carry the type II designation for noncommercial work.

Edit: I should mention that these above have much more flotation than some of the other models and other brands' models, IMO you should not accept anything less than a type II rating/level 100 or 150.

Last edited:
We use West Marine brand and they are fine. They run sales on them periodically.

We bought a couple of West Marines higher end inflatables. We wanted to try them on before we bought them so we went to WMP. The problem is that most of them do not have accommodations for adding a PLB or strobe. I added a couple of attachment points by carefully sewing some velcro onto the PFD and now they are secure. They also have about 3’ of small stuff attaching them to the PFD so they don’t get away from us in the water if we accidentally let go of the PLB or strobe.

Attachments

• B17EF294-C9B1-4DB1-B95B-C7B7B5FF2B1C.jpg
    B17EF294-C9B1-4DB1-B95B-C7B7B5FF2B1C.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 48
If you fall off the boat you want the the damn thing to stay on. If you don’t have crotch strap when you hit the water good chance it’s going right over your head.
Although most manufacturers have reworked salt or paper tablets they still go off at the most inopportune times. Had one go off when stored in the basement. But of more concern had one go off while working on the foredeck. It’s quite dramatic!!!. So now won’t have anything but hydrostatic triggers and strongly recommend them.
Sea hoods are also worth the money. The inflatable PDFs are such that when deployed you’re left facing the oncoming waves. You are at high risk to aspirate sea water which is very unpleasant and can be lethal in that setting. They’re under $20 and worth it.
In terms of brands it’s not an internet purchase the first time. They fit very differently. I prefer wearing a Baltic when up north. Better pockets and doesn’t push my head forward. Wife like the Mustang. Others prefer the spinlock as it has the least on the back of neck.
We inflate all of ours at least annually and wait 18 hours to see if they leak. All of ours come with an harness attachment.

We've got three of the middle of the road WM models. They're great by themselves, but we find ourselves wanting to carry a plb, a small light, and clip a hand held radio on, etc etc. We are probably going to go sideways and pick up a couple work vests, something similar to these:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/impe...mander-s-life-jackets--P010967883?recordNum=9

I know it's not inflatable, but they're very comfortable nonetheless (I wear these at work, often)

I've used Mustang HIT's for a number of years now. They are well made, comfortable and easy to recharge. My ACR PLBs, strobes and whistles are attached with Velcro straps or lanyards. Great gear!:thumb:

I've used Mustang HIT's for a number of years now. They are well made, comfortable and easy to recharge. My ACR PLBs, strobes and whistles are attached with Velcro straps or lanyards. Great gear!:thumb:
100 percent!!!

Can't remember off-hand the brand of our two originals, but more recently wifey found she liked one of the newer West Marine models. They have four different "levels" I think -- offshore, nearshore, inland, and the other one I'm forgetting just now -- and I think she has the "other one". Anyway, she found they fit her better.

Otherwise, Mustang has a very good rep.

I remembered the other brand: SOSpenders. We have one manual, one auto, both fit well enough. The auto version is heavier since it also has the ability to attach a harness...

-Chris

Do any suspender style pfds come in sizes?

There are alot of us that shop in the plus-size dept and would appreciate plus-sized life jackets.

The Mustang HIT fits up to a 52" chest size. They also offer a 12" extension for larger individuals.

10801652.jpg

Mustang Survival states:
"In Canada, wearing a belt extender voids the Canadian ULC approval for the PFD.

In the United States, wearing the belt extender voids the US Coast Guard approval UNLESS the wearer has a chest size over 130cm or 52inches, in which case wearing an adult universally-sized PFD with a clip-on body strap extension DOES NOT void the approval."

I'm a big guy and do not need the extender except in winter with bulky clothing. Either way, these are very wearable.

There may be a better or more affordable PFD solution out there, but I've not seen it.

We have the Mustangs.

These PFDs are for in shore use. Do you wear the PLBs, strobes and whistles while in shore?

We have the PLBs, but for use with Type 1s while outside the inlets, and running offshore.

We have the Mustangs.

These PFDs are for in shore use. Do you wear the PLBs, strobes and whistles while in shore?

We have the PLBs, but for use with Type 1s while outside the inlets, and running offshore.

According to Mustang Survival, their "Type II PFDs – or offshore buoyant vests – are designed and developed for environments where wearers find themselves in isolated or rough waters. Offshore PFDs offer high buoyancy, and are suitable for most water conditions. Ocean racers to adventurous sailors seeking open water can eat, sleep, and push through long days in our offshore vests that give them full range of motion, complete comfort, and complete peace of mind."

The Mustang HIT Type II Models MD3183 and MD3184 (with harness) are offshore-rated according to Mustang, and have 38lb. of buoyancy.

With that in mind, I/we wear them whether on Galveston Bay or offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. The PLB, strobes etc. are always attached to the PFD's.

I do keep Type I's aboard as well.

Looking for inflatables without a harness that auto-inflate and can accept something like an AIS MOB. More buoyancy better than less, and as comfortable/non-intrusive as possible.

Why WITHOUT a harness?? You have a crane onboard. Do you think you could get whomever you boat with into the boat single handed if there were badly injured or unconscious? What if it were you in the water unconscious? Could the person with you get you into the boat?

The harness isn't just for sailors with jacklines.

According to Mustang Survival, their "Type II PFDs – or offshore buoyant vests – are designed and developed for environments where wearers find themselves in isolated or rough waters. Offshore PFDs offer high buoyancy, and are suitable for most water conditions. Ocean racers to adventurous sailors seeking open water can eat, sleep, and push through long days in our offshore vests that give them full range of motion, complete comfort, and complete peace of mind."

The Mustang HIT Type II Models MD3183 and MD3184 (with harness) are offshore-rated according to Mustang, and have 38lb. of buoyancy.

With that in mind, I/we wear them whether on Galveston Bay or offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. The PLB, strobes etc. are always attached to the PFD's.

I do keep Type I's aboard as well.

Do you know if they meet the actual CG recommendation for offshore, is that what Mustang are saying?

Last edited:
Why WITHOUT a harness??.

I should have more precise and said "without crotch straps". The reality is having to deal with those straps would make us use the PFDs less-often than we should and would reduce the net safety benefit to us.

Stupid? Perhaps. But we've lived long enough to know how we operate.

I should have more precise and said "without crotch straps". The reality is having to deal with those straps would make us use the PFDs less-often than we should and would reduce the net safety benefit to us.

Stupid? Perhaps. But we've lived long enough to know how we operate.

As even the coast guard say, the best PFD is the one you will wear!

The comment about harnesses is most appropo here in the PNW, BC coast, and Alaska. First cold water shock is a very real issue with many overboard victims inhaling sea water due to the "gasp reflex", sometimes rendering them unable to be much assistance to themselves. Getting an unconscious or disabled person aboard by yourself on a power boat could be very challenging. Having a ready made harness could be helpful. It would be best, to plan and practise the methods of getting the largest person on the boat back on board. The time of an actual emergency is not the time to start thinking about it! Yes, the best PFD is the one you wear!

Do you know if they meet the actual CG recommendation for offshore, is that what Mustang are saying?

That is a great question. West Marine's latest article How to Select a Life Vest is the clearest explanation I've read so far. They state:

Offshore Power - "Passagemaking requires high-buoyancy life jackets designed for rough waters. While the chances of ending up overboard are far lower on a trawler with an enclosed pilothouse, the crew should always wear high-buoyancy inflatable PFDs every time they go on deck. If a crewmember goes overboard the time to rescue may be long, the water may be cold and the sea rough."

Commercial Vessels - "Commercial vessels must have specific types of life jackets onboard to be legal. We offer a range of Type I life jackets and SOLAS-approved models, but we don’t recommend their use on recreational boats. Type I devices, due to their bulk, are not practical for recreational boating activities and require extra space to stow. However, if you operate a commercial fishing boat that is required to have Type I vests onboard, West Marine has you covered."

As you stated above, the Coast Guard recommends Type I PFD's for use "Offshore" while West Marine only recommends high-buoyancy inflatable PFDs, but does not specify a Type for Recreational use. It is a bit confusing.

Since the Mustang HIT's are classified by the manufacturer as Offshore PFDs, I do feel relatively safe with them, but that's just my opinion. I'm seldom over 100 miles offshore and certainly not a passagemaker. Your requirements may be far more demanding than mine.

Oh, and finally, the Coast Guard and PFD manufacturers are changing the labeling, doing away with the current Type designations and adopting a Harmonized Level - USA and Canada labeling standard which relies more upon symbols and numbers.:hide:

Attachments

• Harmonized Level PFD Label.JPG
    Harmonized Level PFD Label.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Harmonized Level PFD Label 2.JPG
    Harmonized Level PFD Label 2.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Harmonized Level PFD Label 3.JPG
    Harmonized Level PFD Label 3.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 30
We use Stearns US Navy life jackets., greenies just as in the picture.Green_275x.jpeg

Spin lock DeckVest is the most comfortable if you wear daily. The ‘horse shoe’ design like West Marine & Mustang tends to chafe your neck after a while. My 2 cents

Last edited:
These aviation vests are very comfortable

https://www.switlik.com/aviation/aviator/features

The most comfortable life jacket I have worn is never seen in any discussions.
Switlik manufactures a constant wear vest. It latches the same whether you put it on frontwards or backwards , no issues when in a rush. Does not even look like a life jacket. Has lots of different features , grab handles , add-ons etc.
We have four on board and everyone wants to use them.

Note this conversation is about inflatables. Also note anything that has to inflate is prone to failure. Finally note unless you’re in the tropics or sub tropics non inflatable is more comfortable, likely to stay on you especially without a crotch strap, has actual pockets and easy attachment points and longer service life so ultimately safer and less expensive. We carry 4 inflatables (mustang and spinlock) but also 2 Baltics and a float coat. Can say enough about my Baltic. An inflatable only goes on when it’s to hot for it. Think the commercial stuff is better in all brands. Really like the Pilot.
https://www.baltic.se/en/industrial/lifejackets/baltic-pilot/

Last edited:
https://www.switlik.com/aviation/aviator/features

The most comfortable life jacket I have worn is never seen in any discussions.
Switlik manufactures a constant wear vest. It latches the same whether you put it on frontwards or backwards , no issues when in a rush. Does not even look like a life jacket. Has lots of different features , grab handles , add-ons etc.
We have four on board and everyone wants to use them.

That's a neat design and looks very comfortable. When I was flying in AK I wore a Stearns survival vest with inflation because of the large amount of pockets but that one looks much more comfortable.

A note to others that it doesn't seem to have a USCG approval? and so would be in addition to the required PFD's on board, not in replacement of.

Back
Top Bottom