Fix now or fix later?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Dan

Vessel Name
Willie Dawes
Vessel Make
Newburyport 37
So, I have a leaky upper deck. I know it leaks And why, and how to fix it, and it is definitely leaking worse and worse, and causing other problems. I’ve thought a little about fixing it, but can’t seem to bring myself to do the work.

The good news is that, even though it will likely cost about ten times as much, And probably ruin at least a year’s worth of cruising, I do know a little about repairing wet, rotten cabin side cores, decks, interior veneer, etc, and more and more good products are coming out everyday to help fix my wet, rotten boat.

And also, sometime soon, maybe November, or maybe within a year or so, I will be covering my boat. It will admittedly be kind of a rush job, when I do get around to it, and it may or may not be a watertight cover.

I do know that due to it being a rush job, I probably won’t trust it at all. It may be such a poor cover that it may blow off and damage my boat further, as well as others nearby.

Can anyone give me any advice. I need to make a decision before November 3rd, 2020!

Dan

PS, Can anyone give me a good reason why when driving on the highway at night, that I should dim my headlights for oncoming traffic?

I don’t see anything in it for me!

Last edited:
Well, the Navy is always looking for target vessels....��*☠️

Capt Dan
It is time to vote.

OK Capt Dan, I will bite :)
First, I am far from a fibreglass expert, but I have had a roof leak repaired on my boat, that did require core removal and replacement. I strongly recommend fixing the problem, all of the problem as soon as possible. With the winter coming, and more wet weather and it continuing to leak, it will very likely just add more problems and expense.
As far as the driving comment, we dim our high beams so as not to impair the vision of the oncoming driver. Why is that hard to understand, and why would there have to be something in it for you directly??? Maybe just avoiding an accident, any accident (even someone else's accident) is reward enough?
There you go, I took the bait.

I'd look for a covered shed to do the work properly. With a good work space, the job time will decrease dramatically, and may end up costing less.

Regarding the other comment - I'm not sure if you're joking or just having a bad day, but there may be something in it for you. A big reduction in the chances of a head on collision if the oncoming driver is blinded by your lights, or if he turns his high beams on in retaliation.

I'm in the same boat... but I have a covered slip. So I have the luxury of time. If I didn't I'd be fixing it yesterday as it is ALWAYS worse than you thought when you open it up....

As to the bait.....

Years ago I had a few years of stewardship of a 1951 Rolls Royce. It came with the coveted original hand book. One day I got into the vehicle and it turned out the peening that held the spring loaded headlight dimmer foot switch had let go and said rubber knob had launched and landed in the back seat. After carefully noting how the wires were connected I took it out and fixed it. After reinstalling the switch the little blue light in the Smith speedometer was ON with low beams and OFF with high beams. WTF? On top of that I didn't remember how it was before all of this.

I returned to the aforementioned instruction manual and learned the dip switch, as it was known in mere mortal motorcars, was part of the "Anti dazzle feature", and the little blue light was there to alert you to the fact that you didn't have your lights on max, where they should be on windy British country lanes. Only when another car came did you engage the anti dazzle feature out of courtesy to the other motorist. (The answer to your question, OP... or in plain English: Don't be a dick.)

Of course I should have RTFI to begin with, or as the preamble stated "Owners would do wisely to have their drivers familiarize themselves with these instructions."

Carry on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 4.49.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 4.49.50 PM.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
So, I have a leaky upper deck. I know it leaks And why, and how to fix it, and it is definitely leaking worse and worse, and causing other problems. I’ve thought a little about fixing it, but can’t seem to bring myself to do the work.

The good news is that, even though it will likely cost about ten times as much, And probably ruin at least a year’s worth of cruising, I do know a little about repairing wet, rotten cabin side cores, decks, interior veneer, etc, and more and more good products are coming out everyday to help fix my wet, rotten boat.

And also, sometime soon, maybe November, or maybe within a year or so, I will be covering my boat. It will admittedly be kind of a rush job, when I do get around to it, and it may or may not be a watertight cover.

I do know that due to it being a rush job, I probably won’t trust it at all. It may be such a poor cover that it may blow off and damage my boat further, as well as others nearby.

Can anyone give me any advice. I need to make a decision before November 3rd, 2020!

Dan

PS, Can anyone give me a good reason why when driving on the highway at night, that I should dim my headlights for oncoming traffic?

I don’t see anything in it for me!

Absurd post.
Get a grip, Pal!

Somebody deleted my post and another post on this thread. I can’t understand someone who has to have something for him in order to dim the headlights. But maybe I am the one that is wrong...

Spongy decks will carry you to amazing experiences and adventure. Putting off vital repairs make you a hazard to yourself, all who sail with you, and those who come to your aid. Slaving over minutia until the boat is in perfect condition is crippling and a dream killer.

The truth is in the middle.

Spongy decks are that much of a hazard?

Spongy decks are that much of a hazard?

To your wallet. If they are spongy enough to where they become a trip hazard you need to make sure the inspection on the life raft is up to date.

Fix it yourself.

Under shrinkwrap.

You will have all winter.

It's actually a fun mancave.

I think it's some kind of tongue-in-cheek post, but I can't figure it out....?

Edit: I think cliff meima is close, this might be some sort of disguised political rant, but I can't quite draw the parallels....

Last edited:
I guess that if you are among those who do not understand why to dim light and do not do it you will leave your boat deteriorate to a point it becomes too hard/expensive to be repaired and will try to sell it to a poor clueless guy to get rid of your problem.

L

Don’t waste your time guys on this one! “What should I do, and what’s in for me!”

Capt Dan has found a way to speak of an untenable situation with no sure way to resolve it, without the moderators shifting him to the "Harbour Chat" section.

Good on you Dan.

Don't forget to vote.

Capt Dan has found a way to speak of an untenable situation with no sure way to resolve it, without the moderators shifting him to the "Harbour Chat" section....
The "no politics" rule isn`t restricted to HC. Metaphorically, it`s cute enough to stand. Even to a "furriner".

The clear right answer is to sell the boat to someone else without disclosing the issue.

We are in the process of ripping all the teak on our (new to us) 1995 55 Fleming. Additionally the old owners replaced the teak on the bow w non skid and left the wet wood below which rotted out the entire area. As the old teak comes up we see the rotted wood underneath from years of deferred maintenance. It all adds up. You can pay me (some) or you can pay me (a lot more) later. It's shocking!

Whole thing was tongue in cheek. Some saw thru me, others... I Voted early. Hope you all are safe at the polls!

And BTW, I am 2/3s of the way thru removing original teak deck overlay, drying core (SOLID teak, 1 inch thick!) and laying new glass in epoxy followed by Perfection and GripTide non-skid.

Last winter 4 new 100 gallon aluminum fuel tanks. I’m a glutton for punishment!

Dan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom