Hatteras 58 LRC with Texas Home Port?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dry Dock

Vessel Name
Never EZ
Vessel Make
Hatteras 42 LRC
Howdy,

We have finally started our actual, "Yes, we are going to buy a boat" search. As one of the 4 - 6 options, the Hatteras 58 LRC looks to suit our near and long term goals as a live aboard with extended Caribbean/Central America cruising potential.

Are there any proud owners along the Texas coast willing to talk with us and potentially show off their pride and joy just to give us a feel for the boat?

Welcome aboard. While we don’t own one we looked at one last month in Virginia. I absolutely loved the layout but my wife not so much. I have a ton photos if you want them send me your email via PM.

Welcome aboard. While we don’t own one we looked at one last month in Virginia. I absolutely loved the layout but my wife not so much. I have a ton photos if you want them send me your email via PM.

Not to hijack OP's thread but would you care to comment on the VA boat specifically? If it's the one in Hampton, I've looked at it on line many times. It's been for sale for some time.

Not to hijack OP's thread but would you care to comment on the VA boat specifically? If it's the one in Hampton, I've looked at it on line many times. It's been for sale for some time.

It is the one In Hampton. It is difficult for me to make recommendations because I tend to look at a boat and see what it will be when I am done with it. My wife didn’t like it because she thought it was very dirty. It was a bit dirty but a couple of weeks worth of cleaning and it wouldn’t be too bad. We spent about 45 minutes on the boat so I really didn’t get to poke into all the corners, etc. they said that the marina had done some electrical work and removed most of the 32 volt systems on the boat. The rear 10’ or so of the boat deck core is rotten. There was a bunch of oil in one compartment in the engine room bilge. The furniture in the salon was well worn but it is loose so that is an easy fix. Overall I would say fair condition or maybe a bit better. It needed new wallpaper in the master and new carpeting throughout but most is hardwood decking. I would buy it in a heartbeat if my wife liked it more and there was a place to haul it closer to home than a 3.5 hour drive. We haul now 1 mile from home but our current boat is the max they can haul. I like the 4-71 engines, they look in decent condition. One of the pilothouse doors had some damage from a water leak. The worst thing I saw was the rotten core on the boat deck but to me that isn’t a really big deal, just grunt work.

I spoke to a broker about one that is in Florida. The broker said it needs a lot of TLC and that the owner had turned down multiple offers. If the broker says it needs TLC it must be pretty bad so we didn’t go look at that one.

The Virginia boat was only a 13.5 hour drive so we drove over one night and looked at the boat and then drove back home so we didn’t spend a lot of time looking at the boat.

Thanks for the feedback. That VA boat sounds rough. No wonder it's been for sale for so long.

The one in Palm Coast, FL looked really good to me. I had seen it listed for sale by owner on the LRC website. He's got a much more comprehensive PDF listing there. I wonder what the broker thinks needs TLC? I mean... these are 40 year old boats at this point. But wet core is more than I'd want to mess with.

The one I lust after is Knucklehead. I see her up north every summer. She hails out of Jupiter FL and has been redone stem to stern including a custom hardtop. Beautiful boat.

The owners listing looks great, but if the broker says it needs a lot of TLC then I think the owners listing may be way optimistic or else the photos are out of date. Who knows without looking at it.

Howdy,

We have finally started our actual, "Yes, we are going to buy a boat" search. As one of the 4 - 6 options, the Hatteras 58 LRC looks to suit our near and long term goals as a live aboard with extended Caribbean/Central America cruising potential.

Are there any proud owners along the Texas coast willing to talk with us and potentially show off their pride and joy just to give us a feel for the boat?

I've owned my 1976 58 LRC since June 2019. Would be glad to talk with you about the boat and share some photos, etc. My number nine-one-4 four-seven-5 zero-zero-five-1

If you happen to be in the Mystic, CT area, would be glad to give you the 50 cent tour.

We looked hard at 58 LRCs and one 65 LRC and absolutely loved them. The trick is finding one in decent condition that hasn’t been “remodeled” sometime between 1986 and 1996 - think painted out original cabinetry and pastel wall coverings or one that hasn’t been a dock queen for the last decade.

We landed on our KK54 and couldn’t be happier but I do still think about life on a flush deck LRC.

Good luck on your search. They are amazing vessels.

I was looking at a 58LRC in Houston area just before Hurricane Ike blew through in 2008. It subsequently sank in it's slip...a hole rubbed in the aft starboard corner by the post between the slips. The boat was raised, and offered for sale on an insurance salvage site shortly thereafter. The interior was a mess. I suspect that boat is back in service.....

I was looking at a 58LRC in Houston area just before Hurricane Ike blew through in 2008. It subsequently sank in it's slip...a hole rubbed in the aft starboard corner by the post between the slips. The boat was raised, and offered for sale on an insurance salvage site shortly thereafter. The interior was a mess. I suspect that boat is back in service.....

I would not want it.

Rufus,

Thanks for the heads up.....havent seen anything pop up down here with the 58" LRC's. Most likely it a marina condo or has been moved out of State.

I have looked at almost every 58' and 65' Hatt LRC on the market. I know the VA and Palm Coast LRCs well. I have personally surveyed each one. Both have significant core damage on the boat decks and a few other areas. The quotes for cutting out the rotted core and replacing it and the deck made me rethink purchasing either one of them. Both need work appropriate for their age in addition to the core issues. Bottom line, you need a large budget for repairs and updates if you want to buy an LRC from the 70's or 80's. I am still considering an LRC because I have always wanted one. Finding one that will not exhaust my budget after purchase has been the biggest challenge. (I love my Californian but want another stateroom and a large enough boat deck for my flats skiff. It's 14'10" but 17' LOA from stem to propeller.) Look at the other Hatteras yachts out there in the 53' to 65' range. I am leaning that way since there are plenty to chose from and they are more reasonably priced. Same accommodations, styling, pedigree, etc. (I am a big Jack Hargrave fan!) My Californian runs all day efficiently at 9.5 knots. When I need extra speed I can push the throttles and get to my destination before the storm hits. The reality is that most yachts spend more time at the dock than underway. Most yachts operate in sheltered waters. Most owners/operators want reliability, efficiency and pedigree at a fair price. I too am looking through rose colored glasses each time I see a "dream" yacht. When you do that sit down with a pad of paper and start estimating repair costs, then add at least 15% for error. I have been boating since a child. I represent marinas and repairmen. I have a good feel for what things costs. If I don't I call someone. My next yacht will either be a reasonably priced fixer upper that I can repair within my budget or one in very good condition that will cost me more up front. It will hinge on my budget and goals at the time. If I am close to retirement it will have to be in good condition. Life is too short! Get out there while you can. Don't buy a project if you don't have the time and money to enjoy the process.

I saw Knucklehead in Cuttyhunk twice this summer, en route north and south from Maine. Over the years I have looked at least a dozen of these and she is the nicest 58' Hatt LRC I've seen in 20 years. Beautiful. I looked at the ones in Palm Coast and Hampton about ten years ago and they were tired then and the photos look like nothing has changed since.
There was an absoluteluy miny 65' Hatt LRC in Vero Beach earlier this year, asking $595K. The previous owner had spent well over $1M to get her that way and someone got a beauty. I don't think there has been a nice 5' on the market for some time. Good luck.

I saw the 65' LRC Carry On in Vero. Immaculate boat! She sold before I had a chance to make an offer. She sold for $535,000.00. If she returns to the market I will definitely consider her if I haven't upgraded already. The owner of Carry On spent over a million dollars and it was clearly evident. Not everyone has the ability to do that. That man deserves recognition for restoring the yacht and preserving a piece of history. I would love to restore an LRC so I will keep looking at them. There are plenty of other beautiful yachts in good condition for reasonable prices on the market. If anyone has an LRC in good condition please contact me!

We looked at 4 LRCs 2 yrs ago. The one in Hampton being the last. It was a short inspection. It was full of mould and I had to get off there. Pretty disappointed with all 4. I love the boat though. As far as options go I would prefer one with the day head and the 6-71s.

Sounds like lots of us in a similar situation to some extent. Love the look, pedigree, and capabilities of the LRCs. But in the end they are 40+ year old boats. Either you find one like the 65' that sold where you buy one someone else has sunk $1M into, only to sell it for half that... or you're the guy putting in all the money without the return.

I love the idea of fixing one up, but when you do the math and acquire one for $250k and figure you're going to need to do another $300k of work minimum to bring it up to reasonable standards... well I just don't think it going to happen.

We looked at 4 LRCs 2 yrs ago. The one in Hampton being the last. It was a short inspection. It was full of mould and I had to get off there. Pretty disappointed with all 4. I love the boat though. As far as options go I would prefer one with the day head and the 6-71s.

We looked at the one in Hampton about 6 weeks ago. We only spent about 45 minutes on it. I didn’t notice any mold or moldy smells. Maybe they cleaned it up some. My wife still though it was dirty though. I agree on the day head but I would prefer the 4-71s.

Anybody ever look at Masterplan? Pictures looked fairly clean. Price dropped a couple of times and changed brokers once. It's now off market. Assuming it sold. Curious what condition was.

Masterplan sold recently. She needed a new master stateroom constructed and other work. I was going to make an offer if the deal fell through. My offer would have been less than $200K. The seller said he would consider it fi she didn't sell. I had already gotten quotes for much of the work that needed to be done. All totaled they were just over $100K. After she sold she suffered hurricane damage estimated to be in the $70K range. I hope the buyers are able to get her fixed up right. Maggie B just sold for $170K. I looked at her too. She needed more than $100K of work. Rats had infester her one winter and ate a lot of wallpaper and wiring. The boat deck core was very bad and needed to be cut out and replaced. Both yachts had potential but were over priced for many years. Neither had much use during that time. I would have loved to have purchased Masterplan at a reasonable price and rebuilt her master stateroom. I know a wonderful carpenter that has restored several Elcos to like new. We had great ideas. Having been in the marine field for 35 years, proudly worked briefly for Kit Denison at Broward Marine and Denison Marine before law school, and been around boats since a child, I knew I had to buy right to be able to afford the transformation and updating. I re-powered my 1990 Californian, Moonstruck, and updated many of her systems at considerable expense between 2002 and present, including spending thousands of dollars on AC recently. If you want one of these older boats you have to have a big budget to make it right. As time goes by I am leaning more to spending money up front for a cleaner boat so I can start cruising instead of updating. I enjoy the process but have missed valuable time on the water.

The nicest boat in that size range that I have seen for sale in Texas is a 56' Alaskan Pilothouse.

It's nice enough to cause me buy a lottery ticket once and a while!

I like the Alaskans. Great layouts! Newer construction and materials. Take a look at Joel Davidson's listing for an Alaskan. Joel is with Outer Reef Yachts. He and Judy Waldman at JW Yachts are two of my favorite brokers that specialize in the trawler field. Both are knowledgeable and honest. I have considered putting offers on three Alaskans/Grand Alaskans recently.

Masterplan sold recently. She needed a new master stateroom constructed and other work. I was going to make an offer if the deal fell through. My offer would have been less than $200K. The seller said he would consider it fi she didn't sell. I had already gotten quotes for much of the work that needed to be done. All totaled they were just over $100K. After she sold she suffered hurricane damage estimated to be in the $70K range. I hope the buyers are able to get her fixed up right. Maggie B just sold for $170K. I looked at her too. She needed more than $100K of work. QUOTE]

If I remember correctly the boat that sunk in Galveston in 2008 went to Florida after salvage sale. It sold in the $50K range at the salvage auction if memory serves....I quit bidding at $25K. Regardless, there is a previously submerged LRC out there, and I'd dig deeply into the history of every boat that comes up for sale before making any offers. The Houston/Galveston boat had water well up into the salon and wheelhouse.

Last edited:
...As time goes by I am leaning more to spending money up front for a cleaner boat so I can start cruising instead of updating. I enjoy the process but have missed valuable time on the water.

This is exactly where I'm at. In the end, just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze as they say.

I think it is if you have time and money to spend on a yacht that is reasonably priced. Moonstruck was priced right when I bought her and I had a slush fund set aside to update her. I will never get all of the money back but that was not expected. I wanted a seaworthy vessel that was pleasing to the eye, met most of my wants or needs and didn't blow the budget. My family and I have wonderful memories that are priceless. I will sell her reluctantly if I find the right replacement. If I don't I will continue to enjoy her company! That's the kind of yacht you want to find.

Hat 58 LRC

We bought a Hat 58 LRC in early 2019 and love it. I did three years of research on them beforehand, and visited 8 of them across the US before buying ours. I'm happy to talk about my experiences if you want.

I would love to compare my notes with yours. I have looked at most of the LRCs out there, at least on the east coast. The more I look the more I like my current boat. I still can't resist the LRCs because I have been enamored with them since they came out. Monica comes with me so that I have a second pair of eyes that are not looking through rose colored glasses. (Picture Cher slapping Nicholas Cage and telling him to "SNAP OUT OF IT!")

Love to chat. Mine was in pristine shape when I found her, and I've been 100% happy with her. She's better than I'd hoped, in fact the best boat I've owned (had 3 before this), despite her 45 years.

Someone spent a ton of money and labor on her over the years. She lived in Europe for a time, then in the Caribbean. She came west thru the canal at some point, and lived in Seattle. Then she went to BC (Canada) for about 6 years, and that's where I found her. I'm in Washington state.

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my number. Also, I have an old (2018/19) comparison spreadsheet between the 58 LRCs that were available at that time. If anyone is interested I'm happy to send it.

Listening to you all talk about the costs and work involved to repair rotted wood cores in decks and houses, I don't feel so bad anymore when I bought my old steel hulled boat. Honestly I think steel is easier to repair than what is described above.

Back
Top Bottom