View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #13
rgano
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Hi there. You guys down there in the Tampa area have done well this season, but you never know, next one could be YOUR year.

There is a yard within fifteen minutes of my which would haul the boat, IF I paid the 1500 buck or so a year for the pleasure of just being on their haul list and then paid the usual haul out fee when the boat is lifted. However, I do not consider hauling out during storms a good idea. This yard had a ton of boats toppled over during Hurricane Michael, and even if your boat was not affected, the insurance investigations locked down the yard down for weeks afterward. Michael was exceptionally strong, but I have seen too many photos of toppled boats in marinas all over the eastern half of the country to trust my boat to a storm haul. No, I have many better options and plenty of anchors and rode to secure my boat.

This morning I noted that the tide was about 6 inches higher than normal at high tide - makes me wonder if we are already seeing influences. I am actually pretty good at predicting surge here. The photo above shows the surge at just about where I thought it might be, but as I have said before, that was too close for comfort, and I should have moved the boat out from under the shed. I am guessing that I will see the water lapping at the bottom or maybe a foot over my pier boards at worst with Zeta. Our weax guy is not too worried about much more than 40 MPH winds for a short time on Wed-Thur.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote