Capacity of crane to lift dinghy onto 2002 42EU.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbarnum

I'm replacing the dinghy on our 2002 42' Europa and considering a larger engine. Does anyone know the general lifting capacity of the winch/crane on these type boats?

Welcome aboard. The ones I have seen were between 1000 and 1500 pounds. What brand is yours?

A winch won’t do it. You need a hoist.

The winch is a Lewmar. The mast/boom appear to be standard on these Europa boats.

GB yachts always came with all possible documentation for all accessories, including the davit crane. That will tell you the hoisting capacity.
Don't assume. I have seen a GB Europa with the crane torn out of its mounts on the upper deck, due to overloading. Very embarrassing for the Captain.

Are you asking about lifting with the boom attached to your mast which came as standard equipment on your boat? Or are you referring to an aftermarket-installed crane/davit? If you’re referring to a crane davit, what is the manufacturer and model?

A winch won’t do it. You need a hoist.

The difference between a winch like those used on the front of Jeep is not designed for lifting loads overhead. Hoists have brakes which set when the motor is stopped to prevent runaways. Suitably sized hoists are lots harder to find and more costly.

I have the original manual for our 1984 GB 36. No mention of lifting capacity for the mast and boom.

The original mast and boom are very likely there only for decoration.
The Europa GB 42 I saw with a failed dinghy crane had one that was a proper dinghy crane, likely with the rated lifting capacity in the model name stenciled right on the unit. Steelhead 1000# is likely what you need, as your boat deck is big enough for a dinghy that weighs up to 750#.

My boat came to me with a mast and boom, both made of aluminum, but so weak that the deck fitting failed while lifting an empty Sabot. Total weight under 50 pounds! Yours isn't likely any better than that, so if you are planning a dinghy lift that weighs in at several hundred pounds, you need to shop for a real davit crane. Your mast and boom are there for decoration and the "trawler look", not for lifting loads as heavy as a dinghy with an outboard.

This: https://www.advantecglobal.com/product/es1000/
or this:http://nickjacksonco.com/1000 LP-2.JPG

We have a Nick Jackson pipe davit with electric winch on our 2003 42EU. The RIB & 18hp Tohatsu have to be upwards of 400 lbs. I’m unaware of the weight capacity of the unit installed on our boat but there are a variety of available capacities from 300-1000 lbs.
Pipe Davits

Back
Top Bottom