View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
My approach on our coastal Cruiser is based on redundancy and ease of use.

We use a Furuno (but you can pick your brand) navagation suite. We have:

Two 10" displays. Each display has its own GPS sensor/antenna. Each display has its own chart chip.

This gives us 100% position and charting redundancy. There is no single point of failure.

We also have a 4KW open array radar which is tied to one of the displays. We have no redundancy on our Radar.

For depth we have a Furuno black box sounder. This sounder goes on the network, and is available to either display. We carry but do not have installed a brand new black box sounder in case of failure. We have two identical transducers installed for redundancy.

The network depends on linksys layer 2 switch for sounder data. We carry a spare switch.

For instant backup and object avoidance we have an Interphase Foward Looking Sonar.

This type of setup (again, pick your brand) provides 100% redundancy of your basic functions of Position, charting, and depth. There is nothing that can go wrong with this system that will put you in a situation where you do not have these critical functions.

For communications we have a VHF, and a handheld VHF, and a KVH tracphone. The KVH gives us satellite internet at around 2 MB/s and voice anywhere in the world. With this we can download weather data and or communicate with the rest of the world.

I do not carry paper charts for everywhere I cruise. I do not miss them. I can bring up the same charts that my nav system uses on my laptop to do route planning.

Oh, as far as autopilots go, pick one you like. We have a Simrad unit. It works fine. It will follow a route from the plotters, or it can steer a course based on either its own compass or based on heading data over the network.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote