Old 10-24-2020, 07:29 PM   #20
menzies
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
My guess is that you actually have 24V alternators, despite the '15V' comment from the Hilton Head mechanic. But your Balmar 624's had the wrong charge profile given your previous bank was wet cells. They can have high V, particularly for equalising, but you generally don't attempt to equalise AGM's.

It sounds like you have just one shared 24V bank for the engines, which is fine. Both the 624's should read the same voltage if their sense and other wires are connected correctly. Changing the 'basic setting' to an AGM profile is OK as a temp fix. Just check the manual for what V that profile has, and compare to manufacturer's battery spec. I'd expect to be less than 30V.

But since you have great regulators, why not optimise their settings? Its not that hard, and will help extend battery life.

Oh, and the regs are not oversized. Programmed correctly they cannot cook your batteries.
I am planning to optimize later - issue is they are "West Marine" batteries (all that was readily available in HH when I needed them). I called their tech number today to find out who the actual manufacturer is so that I can get the recommended settings. He was little help, in fact he emailed me a manual for post 2017 regulators for handling Lithium LifePo4 batteries. Found on Google that they are East Penn/Deka model 8A8D, so will call them Monday for the settings.

I wasn't suggesting the regulators would cook the batteries, just the two 24v alternators if the regulators read 0 voltage from a battery (understanding the alternators have their own internal regulators).
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote