Dripless shaft seal recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
I just had a survey done on a 2001 GB Classic 42. The bellows on the dripless did not expand enough at high rpm and leaked so surveyor noted. I don't remember what brand but surveyor recommended installing a Tides Marine product instead. This will be my first powerboat if all checks out (still waiting for formal survey reports) , but what do you think of the Tides shaft seal? Do you have a different recommendation? I kinda wonder that maybe the original product is ok if I just change the bellows since it is probably original and lasted this long?

Is the existing seal a PSS? If so, the bellows have to be changed every 5 years or so. I believe the issue is the bellows hardens and then doesn't hold proper tension on the rotor, attached to the shaft. This may explain your surveyor issue. Tides is a different type of seal, called a lip seal. Despite the fact that PSS gets some negative comments at this site, I have used them successfully for many years, as have others here.

I put 2 PSS dripless shaft seals in a previous boat. They were fine but I do believe that PSS says to replace the bellows every 7 years but I could be wrong. That may be all that is needed. Check and see what manufacturer they are and look up to see what their recommendations are. Post a photo here and we may be able to help identify them. Congrats on your new boat.

Thanks, if I am not mistaken it is a PSS dripless? Hope picture quality is adequate .

Attachments

• IMG_1671[1].jpg
    IMG_1671[1].jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 25
I think it is. PSS says every 6 years on the bellows so yours is probably due since most owners don’t bother.

Looks like a PSS. Dripless is a bit of a misnomer in my experience with them. A little bit of water comes out of the seals on mine when the shafts rotate at cruise speed, but not much and its more like a very fine spray.. Nothing comes out at rest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom