Need rudder help while boat is on the hard.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmcsurf1

Vessel Name
Agape
Vessel Make
Californian 45
I'm on the hard for only a couple more days. I have the rudder off the boat. I noticed there is a hollow cavity in the rudder with 4 threaded "plugs." See pic.
Three of the four have plugs while one, top side, does not. While sanding the rudder water was coming out of hole. Of course. Why would they leave one open? Freezing Temps while on the hard? I'm in Florida so should I drain and cap it?
It's an articulated rudder and I'm trying to track down the manufacturer but I thought someone here might have an idea.
Paul 20201024_101431.jpeg20201024_101427.jpeg20201024_101447.jpeg20201024_101441.jpeg

It looks like a welded piece. It is possible they put they left holes for expansion during welding, then plugged them.

Mine are full of anti-freeze. Do not know why. Came from the factory that way. I changed it 2 years ago

Are the holes treaded?

Vascer, makes sense. The added weight of the antifreeze might give greater mass and a greater bite of the water? No rudder 'chatter'.

Last edited:
Mine have a 1/2" pipe plug in the top and bottom. You fill from the bottom like a lower unit. Mine hold about 2 gallons each

Mine have a 1/2" pipe plug in the top and bottom. You fill from the bottom like a lower unit. Mine hold about 2 gallons each

I think your observation just answered his question.

Are the holes treaded?

Vascer, makes sense. The added weight of the antifreeze might give greater mass and a greater bite of the water? No rudder 'chatter'.
Yes. The holes are threaded. I'm guessing one plug just got lost. We live in Florida and full time on the boat. No chance of freezing. I'll like for a treaded "plug" but if I can't get one by Tue the boats going back in the water. Leave it open i guess?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom