Wintering in the PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In our neck of the woods, I live just a short 1/2 hour drive above Nanaimo, you don't need to obsess to much about winterizing, especially if you are a live aboard. But air circulation is important.

I have a low powered heater in my engine compartment, set to come on at 35 F (and whatever C that works out to). And I have a very small 270 watt heater I use in my head to dry clothes out with during my live aboard times, usually short at a week or so. But I will leave that little heater on with a fan blowing into my bilge during the coldest times.

I was just came home a day ago from Comox where my boat is. The docks were very slippery at 7:00 in the morning, by 9:00 AM they were fine. I have a box next to my boat permanently mounted with a carpeted top. I could see my self taking a header or worse if that carpet freezes, which it will, so I just went out and bought some salt for this small platform.

I strongly agree with previous comments to get a good dehumidifier, and be careful of icy docks. I was 20 years old when I was living aboard in the PNW and jumped/stepped from my boat to the dock on a frosty morning and took a nasty fall. 24 years later my back has never been the same.

It is often tempting to exit the boat by jumping/stepping face forward. In my opinion, except when the drop is minimal and not wet, we have a rule. Use the ladder facing the boat. One then has complete control. Face forward invites face plants to borrow a snow skiing expression. Not fun. When we have have guests I require them to use the ladder facing the boat. Almost invariably, they want to do it the "wrong way".
I strongly agree with previous comments to get a good dehumidifier, and be careful of icy docks. I was 20 years old when I was living aboard in the PNW and jumped/stepped from my boat to the dock on a frosty morning and took a nasty fall. 24 years later my back has never been the same.

Dehumidifier

I run a dehumidifier using the meter on the dehumidifier, set at 55, several fans to help circulate the air salon and lower staterooms. I also run a dehumidifier in the ER. Hydronic heat is located in the ER so it never gets too cold. Heat is left at 45 lowest setting. When the temps really get low, cover the ER vents. Last year the dehumidifier was left out in the salon. However this year I may set it in the sink to allow draining directly overboard. Last year it gave me the excuse to visit every couple of days and check on the boat, I am only 15 minutes away. However, this year I'll be about 1.5 hrs away.

Use the ladder facing the boat. One then has complete control. Face forward invites face plants to borrow a snow skiing expression. Not fun. When we have have guests I require them to use the ladder facing the boat. Almost invariably, they want to do it the "wrong way".

This is good advice, though my platform is not a ladder, there is more control stepping down backwards with something to grab onto in case of a fall.

Back
Top Bottom