View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #27
Marco Flamingo
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
Sewing is one of the most rewarding projects for boats. I finally burnt out my "new" Singer machine. Bought it in the 1980s and it had plastic gears. Repair shop said I got my $140 worth of service out of it and it wasn't worth repairing. Now I'm looking at a replacement. I still have my antique Singer treadle and it is going strong. Needles are the weak link for it. It will sew leather to canvas with the right needle (assuming co-ordinated leg action).

I've used Seattle Fabrics for most things and Sailrite a few times. Prices are comparable, but I can drive to Seattle Fabrics in 15 minutes. If new to this, there are a couple of books that can provide handy tips. One is The Complete Canvas Worker's Guide. A used copy from someplace like Thriftbooks.com would be a good investment.

Barking Sands,

I have a Tung Hwa Clipper 30, which appears to be a sister ship. It seems to have been marketed "backwards" in that it is 32 feet overall, yet called a 30. Nowadays it would probably be called a "10 meter" to exaggerate the length.

One of the differences between our boats, and one that was a reason for our purchasing, is that our dining table floor is raised 5 inches. It requires a step up but provides a better view when dining. When made into a berth, the berth is raised 5 inches. My wife now prefers making the table into the bed every night rather than using the V berth. It allows us to use the forward bulkhead as a headboard and be able to read in bed and look out the windows when at anchor. Fun.

Is this the same boat as yours or another sister ship?