View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 12:59 AM   #1
PJHoffnet

City: Merritt Island, FL
Vessel Name: Changes in L'Attitudes
Vessel Model: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA (not a trawler)
Transducer replacement

Going on the hard for a short refit(~2 weeks) mainly for bottom painting. Will also be replacing depth sounding transducer (old one has been a bit erratic of late).

'99 Maxium 4100 SCA, used for pleasure cruising up & down AICW/The Keys. I'm not a fisherman, so no need for accurate 'fish finder' or any type of structure/3D or forward looking. All other helm electronics (auto pilot, electric compass, radar, etc) are SIMRAD, so I'm looking to stay SIMRAD.

The xducer I'll be replacing is mounted on a (please see images to correct me, if necessary) thru-hull fairing with the bottom of the fairing parallel to the 'bottom'.

All that being said, I am at a complete loss for how to proceed now - YouTube videos haven't been much help - in selecting a replacement (I believe a frequency selectable broadband CHIRP xducer would suit me best). I guess my main 'need' for knowledge is how to determine the correct xducer to 'fix' my fairing and how to take out the old one and put in the new one.

It would certainly have been helpful for me to have measured the current transducer last time I had the boat out of the water, but I didn't do that. One thing of interest for the old xducer is that it had a speed wheel (log) in the center that might help someone identify what I currently have to help with selecting a replacement. Also, again, please correct me if I'm wrong - from the external pictures, I believe I see a fairing that's flush with the hull, and then the actual xducer mounted to it.

Internal

External
Merritt Island, FL
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote