Raymarine e97

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Burgess

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Callisto
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42’ Trawler
Does anyone have this problem?
My e97 has been updated and the electronic tech says it’s all up to date. The reason I had him come was to get the wiring fixed up. It looked so nasty I couldn’t stand anymore and it had intermittent shutdown issues, always at a bad time. However it still does shut down all on its own. Shirley says get rid of it. She hates the safety risk. So I need advice, should I replace and upgrade to Axiom or spend yet more $$$ on this junk?

My e97 works fine, so either you have a faulty unit or an installation problem. The repair prices from Raymarine aren't great though, so if it is the unit I'd upgrade to the Axiom (actually go to the Axiom +) as it is better overall and runs the LH 3 OS.

I have a e97 too. It is my backup. However, I believe Raymarine no longer supports updates.

If it were mine, I would turn on a databox & monitor the unit voltage. That would tell you if there was a voltage problem. If the voltage looks good but it shuts down I would unplug everything but the power (any network cables, data cables, video cables, etc) & see if that makes a difference. The only other easy thing I could think of would be to remove the chart and see if it still has a shutdown issue with the chart not in it. I've seen chart data get corrupted & cause the symptoms you have.

My e97 had a problem when putting the autopilot on standby. The chart would disappear from the screen leaving the boat icon in the center. An update fixed that problem. No problems since.

I would chase the simple (as noted above) - namely, the voltage feeding the unit.

At this point if you've lost faith the e97, the Axiom is an excellent unit to replace it.

Tom (AK-Sea-Duction) is correct in that the e97 is a legacy unit, with the latest version being Lighthouse II v19.03. Of note- the Axiom (Lighthouse III) can minimally interface with the e97.

Tom (AK-Sea-Duction) is correct in that the e97 is a legacy unit, with the latest version being Lighthouse II v19.03. Of note- the Axiom (Lighthouse III) can minimally interface with the e97.

The e97 does not have enough memory to run Lighthouse III. I use the e97 as a slave unit and a eS127 as the master, but with the older Lighthouse.

My a series is hypersensitive to low voltage. It will simply shut down. So that is the most likely issue. My batteries are going on 3 years so I'm going to replace them in the spring. Fingers crossed.

If it's an intermittent or heat sensitive part them I don't think it's worth Raymarine's minimum. I would look for a private Raymarine tech. Axiom with LHIII looks amazing but LHII is more than enough for my needs.

My Ipad with Navionics is a great backup so if the Ray unit shuts down it's just an annoyance.

My a series is hypersensitive to low voltage. It will simply shut down. So that is the most likely issue. My batteries are going on 3 years so I'm going to replace them in the spring. Fingers crossed.

If it's an intermittent or heat sensitive part them I don't think it's worth Raymarine's minimum. I would look for a private Raymarine tech. Axiom with LHIII looks amazing but LHII is more than enough for my needs.

My Ipad with Navionics is a great backup so if the Ray unit shuts down it's just an annoyance.

Crusty does the opposite. iPad as primary, Raymore secondary. I was impressed with the iPad.

Have you checked the voltage at the unit? My boat had marginal voltage to the flybridge due to undersize wiring. I added a new distribution panel on the bridge and ran some 2 gauge wire, I think, to the new panel and back to the main ground bus bar. Never had any low voltage issues since. I have an e127 and an a128 on the bridge. The Raymarine VHF used to complain all the time about low voltage and it hasn’t ever since I upgraded the wire and added the new panel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom