Making new cushions and learning to sew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Intrigue
Vessel Make
1985 Tung Hwa Senator
New cushions finished...finally. After getting a very loose quote for someone to redo my interior cushion I decided it was time to learn a new skill. I think the quote would have been around 1500 to 2000 plus, and that was reusing the old cushion foam. Bought A $149 dollar Singer and watched the Sailrite video and bought the supplies. Probably have 30 to 40 man hours in these and about $500 including the machine. But I had a bunch of time wasted with errors. The last three cushions took me about 8 hours total. They are by no means perfect...and I am going to redo one at some point, but they are a world better than the 35 year old original cushions the boat came with. I found sewing so useful and the list of things to make so long i am now on the lookout for a walking foot machine for canvas and window covers etc. Also pics of the new Isotherm 130 Cruise Elegance fridge and fabricated switch panel I made to fill the void since this fridge was shorter and deeper.

And a short video to go along with it.
https://youtu.be/zj3WDRPRgOs

Attachments

• 20201021_171615.jpg
    20201021_171615.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 111
  • 20201021_185417.jpg
    20201021_185417.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20201021_203659.jpg
    20201021_203659.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20201021_205812.jpg
    20201021_205812.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20201021_171444.jpg
    20201021_171444.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20201021_183324.jpg
    20201021_183324.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 74
  • 20201021_183301.jpg
    20201021_183301.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 66
Very nice work. We have a Sailrite 111, great machine but I don’t think they make it anymore. We have saved probably close to $20K over the years using it.

20K!!! Sign me up. I am on the lookout for a Sailrite or maybe a Sailrite clone if I can find one. I have canvas to do soon and probably need a Walking Foot style machine.

Nice work... especially for a starting project.
It is not rocket science and Sailrite videos are very good.
Machines are out there just keep looking and searching online.

Very nice work. I have done a little canvas work (generally covers) but have not taken on interior which needs a higher level of quality/precision - you did well!!

As for sewing machines, I have used a 1950/60ies Singer, which had metal gears, and it worked fine for up to about 3 layers, and was better than ruining my wives 'good machine'.

Very nice work. We have a Sailrite 111, great machine but I don’t think they make it anymore. We have saved probably close to $20K over the years using it.

Where do you buy your material? Sunbrela?

Bud

Looks great, and impressive.

However, even as a DIY guy, I'd probably pass on this, having zero experience with making cushions and have some super vendors that do it very reasonable.

However, not a bad skill to have, and if one gets the wrong vendor, they can be horribly over priced with boats.

Just got a quote for cushions from my "low cost" boat canvas guy and my auto guy beat them by 40% and doing it faster. Quality and materials the same.

Nice work! Gives me inspiration!

I just started practicing sewing, and looking to replace all my cockpit cushions. I bought a Singer 44S (around $140 walmart.com), and a walking foot attachment (good for vinyl). Seems to be an OK machine. I also found out you can slow the machine down, by taking apart the foot control, and turning the little adjustment dial with a screwdriver. Otherwise, it went from 0-100mph in 2 seconds...

I think the clone to the Sailrite is a Reliable Barracuda 200ZW, which can be bought for around $500 on their site (more $$ on Amazon). If I get through this project successfully, I might upgrade to a better machine, but the Singer seems ok for now.

Good price of $350 on this eBay Thompson Mini-walking foot. Originally, Thompson was the brand Sailrite sold. Over the years, they have re-branded their own. I purchased this same machine from Sailrite about 25 years ago.

To the OP - nice work. I found long upholstery runs impossible without a walking foot.

https://www.ebay.com/c/1005515602

Peter

Sewing has become a standing joke with my wife and me although I didn't intend for that to happen. I have learned a universe of skills as a boater from fiberglass repair to mechanical and electrical. I suggested to my wife that when/if we become full time or snowbird cruisers she should consider picking up a useful skill. I have been staggered by the cost of marine canvas work and suggested she might learn to sew that stuff. I told her about the sailrite videos and told her I'd get her a machine...

Well... That didn't go over too well. Apparently I shouldn't be "recommending" her hobbies to her. I told her I wasn't necessarily fascinated with fixing diesel engines but have had to learn to keep boating affordable and to be self sufficient. Somehow it didn't translate. Perhaps I didn't deliver my thoughts in the most productive manor. Anyway, I'm still working on her....

Sewing has become a standing joke with my wife and me although I didn't intend for that to happen. I have learned a universe of skills as a boater from fiberglass repair to mechanical and electrical. I suggested to my wife that when/if we become full time or snowbird cruisers she should consider picking up a useful skill. I have been staggered by the cost of marine canvas work and suggested she might learn to sew that stuff. I told her about the sailrite videos and told her I'd get her a machine...

Well... That didn't go over too well. Apparently I shouldn't be "recommending" her hobbies to her. I told her I wasn't necessarily fascinated with fixing diesel engines but have had to learn to keep boating affordable and to be self sufficient. Somehow it didn't translate. Perhaps I didn't deliver my thoughts in the most productive manor. Anyway, I'm still working on her....

Sounds like a Venus and Mars thing. Occasionally I venture into similar forays. I'm reminded to hide sharp objects.

Good luck -

Peter

Sewing

During the month of April in the Covid shutdown I tackled these cushions for our home banquette, I hadn't really sewn much except a couple new hatch covers for the O.A in the past 20 years. I learned to sew in my pre power life as a sailor.. even built the cruising spinnaker that pulled us across the pacific years ago.

The big issue now is the Admiral ( who cannot sew a stitch) has decreed that I will make all new cushions for the O.A. over the winter! ...CRAP!!

Attachments

• 20201022_080742.jpg
    20201022_080742.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 35
New cushions finished...finally. After getting a very loose quote for someone to redo my interior cushion I decided it was time to learn a new skill. I think the quote would have been around 1500 to 2000 plus, and that was reusing the old cushion foam. Bought A $149 dollar Singer and watched the Sailrite video and bought the supplies. Probably have 30 to 40 man hours in these and about $500 including the machine. But I had a bunch of time wasted with errors. The last three cushions took me about 8 hours total. They are by no means perfect...and I am going to redo one at some point, but they are a world better than the 35 year old original cushions the boat came with. I found sewing so useful and the list of things to make so long i am now on the lookout for a walking foot machine for canvas and window covers etc. Also pics of the new Isotherm 130 Cruise Elegance fridge and fabricated switch panel I made to fill the void since this fridge was shorter and deeper.

And a short video to go along with it.
https://youtu.be/zj3WDRPRgOs

That looks great!
Your in trouble now.. you'll now be sewing projects for years.
HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD

Bud, there is a shop somewhere in the mid west that sells marine fabrics (including Subrella products at a substantial discount - ends and seconds. Will have to dig back thru receipts. Great service and prices. Give me a day or two - but there are deals out there!

Bud

I get a lot of it from Sailrite. I get Sunbrella from greatlakesskipper.com. Sailrite has most of the supplies and it is easy to do one stop shopping so I do most of the stuff from them. There may be some places that are cheaper on one or two irems, but overall I like Sailrite.

20K!!! Sign me up. I am on the lookout for a Sailrite or maybe a Sailrite clone if I can find one. I have canvas to do soon and probably need a Walking Foot style machine.

I have made canvas for 4 different boats so it adds up. I got the Sailrite 111 which is no longer available. You want a machine with a deep throat so you can fit the canvas through it. Also I bought the upgraded motor that allows me to do a single stich at a time in 8 layers of Sunbrella. It really makes a difference.

Bud
Bud
Try Rochford Supply. https://www.rochfordsupply.com/?gcl...FCEM_DL_GizAlXTQ5frrY4qb4JNd_flkaAq3rEALw_wcB
And check their seconds and close outs. Very good prices especially for starting out and making bags, covers etc. Don't be afraid of their Sunbrella like fabrics, I have used a lot of their stuff and prices are generally good and always better than Sailrite if they carry it. Sailrite is good for the selection and hard to find items.

New cushions finished...finally. After getting a very loose quote for someone to redo my interior cushion I decided it was time to learn a new skill. I think the quote would have been around 1500 to 2000 plus, and that was reusing the old cushion foam. Bought A $149 dollar Singer and watched the Sailrite video and bought the supplies. Probably have 30 to 40 man hours in these and about $500 including the machine. But I had a bunch of time wasted with errors. The last three cushions took me about 8 hours total. They are by no means perfect...and I am going to redo one at some point, but they are a world better than the 35 year old original cushions the boat came with. I found sewing so useful and the list of things to make so long i am now on the lookout for a walking foot machine for canvas and window covers etc.

You will never regret your purchase and the acquisition of your new skill. When our boat was new to us, the upholstery was done, used up, finished...
Using her old Pfaff machine, my wife sewed a complete new set.
Now, 26 yrs later, she has done it again, this time using the Reliable, industrial quality machine that she bought a few years ago. The project this winter will include sunbrella covers, to replace the Bimini, side cloths, hatch covers, a dinghy cover and the Tonneau. So far only the dinghy cover has been completed. Our fabrics came from jtsoutdoorfabrics.com (in Canada) and while in the US we always shopped at Sailrite.
Pix is the newest interior cushions.

Edit: Egad, Sorry for the flipped photo. I must have tipped the phone the wrong way when taking the picture. I hope one of the mods can restore it to an upright position. I have browsed the Advanced section to no avail.
Done

Attachments

• Upholstery June 2018 A.jpg
    Upholstery June 2018 A.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:

There are Chinese knockoffs and their accessories on Aliexpress for ~$400. Just search "Sailrite."

A great job by the way. Expect to be receiving orders when word gets out that you have the skills and equipment. ?

Affordable you could say that the Sailrite is the clone. They take the basic Chinese machine, add some beefed up parts, and time it properly. The Rex and Barracuda are the same basic machine, there are other brand names as well. They just don't have the beefier parts and probably not tuned as well as they could be. If any of the weak parts break (they probably will, mine did), the Sailrite parts are drop in replacements. Sailrite has all the running videos on YouTube, so of you're handy you can tune it yourself. And even the Sailrite doesn't stay in tune forever so you'll have to do it yourself eventually regardless. I got my zig zag Rex on Amazon a couple years ago for about $350, about half the cost of the Sailrite. I think they have Barracuda too. They don't come with the big handwheel which helps a lot, also available on Amazon under the Barracuda brand at about $100. This increases the torque and penetration while cutting the sewing speed in half. You can sew thicker assemblies with better control. My Rex has been great, while a friend of mine recently bought the super deluxe Sailrite machine for almost $2000 and has had a lot of trouble with it.

Bud

Sailrite has about the best prices. You can buy local at fabric shops but usually costs a lot more. I only do that if I run out and need more right now.

Very nice work, it’s really not that difficult if you take your time and I have no idea what I’m doing, but I always have a good time!
Bought a new Consew after using an old Singer 111.

Most of the fabric/tread/foam I buy from sail right.
The quality is good and the price is fair. The videos are good, and they are helpful. You really get what you pay for.

I swapped out the standard clutch motor for a high tork servo motor. Works well with all but the heavy full grain leather.

Attachments

• E970FC69-49F0-49F8-81F4-1F9C9C657AEB.jpg
    E970FC69-49F0-49F8-81F4-1F9C9C657AEB.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 18
  • 898DDBA9-46E2-4B54-A260-EBF05802E7B7.jpg
    898DDBA9-46E2-4B54-A260-EBF05802E7B7.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2F32CB32-C2D5-4984-815E-1E089ADF5449.jpg
    2F32CB32-C2D5-4984-815E-1E089ADF5449.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 20
  • 2355E824-2607-4257-8041-FF47357BC240.jpg
    2355E824-2607-4257-8041-FF47357BC240.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 3709ABBB-85A4-47EA-A371-27B8AB0ADB81.jpg
    3709ABBB-85A4-47EA-A371-27B8AB0ADB81.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 29079E7D-AB39-4D4D-B74A-2B3B1F37267F.jpg
    29079E7D-AB39-4D4D-B74A-2B3B1F37267F.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DF3566E4-F983-4683-B87D-81BE89D5A0BA.jpg
    DF3566E4-F983-4683-B87D-81BE89D5A0BA.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
There are Chinese knockoffs and their accessories on Aliexpress for ~$400. Just search "Sailrite."

Chinese clone is just that. A clone. You get what you pay for.
Tolerances are loose, hard to adjust tension, make that almost impossible to really nail tension of upper and lower thread to achieve a perfect stitch. The 'Monster wheel' is a great add-on.

I have done a lot of sunbrella work with the clone, and more planned. Quality is adequate for my purposes and skill level. Have more projects planned. If money isn't an issue buy the Sailrite.

Last edited:
Not about machines but about thread. I only use Tenara thread. It lasts forever. I never use poly thread if the project gets near sunlight.

Thanks guys. Lots of good info here. All these cushions people made look great. Some are next level with the curves and the piping etc. I think I am going to get a walking foot soon. Ill post back when I tackle some outside canvas covers. Eventually I will be aluminum welding/fabricating a cockpit canvas cover with fixed aluminum framework that will also incorporate a lifting eye strong enough to hoist the dinghy up using Weaver mounts. Also have paint and some minor fiberglass and woodwork. Cant wait t get started.

Sewing is one of the most rewarding projects for boats. I finally burnt out my "new" Singer machine. Bought it in the 1980s and it had plastic gears. Repair shop said I got my $140 worth of service out of it and it wasn't worth repairing. Now I'm looking at a replacement. I still have my antique Singer treadle and it is going strong. Needles are the weak link for it. It will sew leather to canvas with the right needle (assuming co-ordinated leg action).

I've used Seattle Fabrics for most things and Sailrite a few times. Prices are comparable, but I can drive to Seattle Fabrics in 15 minutes. If new to this, there are a couple of books that can provide handy tips. One is The Complete Canvas Worker's Guide. A used copy from someplace like Thriftbooks.com would be a good investment.

Barking Sands,

I have a Tung Hwa Clipper 30, which appears to be a sister ship. It seems to have been marketed "backwards" in that it is 32 feet overall, yet called a 30. Nowadays it would probably be called a "10 meter" to exaggerate the length.

One of the differences between our boats, and one that was a reason for our purchasing, is that our dining table floor is raised 5 inches. It requires a step up but provides a better view when dining. When made into a berth, the berth is raised 5 inches. My wife now prefers making the table into the bed every night rather than using the V berth. It allows us to use the forward bulkhead as a headboard and be able to read in bed and look out the windows when at anchor. Fun.

Is this the same boat as yours or another sister ship?

Marco, I believe it is the exact same boat. I have seen a dozen or so examples looking around the web with about 3 or 4 different names. Some do have slightly different layouts. For the first time after putting in the cushions we put in the table and used it to watch TV and lounge around. That is a great spot and I think we will be doing just as you do and converting it nightly for sleeping. I love this little boat. It has big boat attributes in a little hull. Plenty of fuel, plenty of water, upper and lower helm, side door, good range etc etc. But great little boat for a couple thats easy to get in and out of anywhere. Do you have pictures or a page for you boat? I love to look at others for ideas.

Not many pictures yet. I bought it right at the start of Covid and my pictures so far are mainly things that I need/want to fix and take phone pictures with me to the hardware store (along with my credit card).

Here is one that I took to try to figure out how to put a name on the transom given the transom door. It shows my recent "non-sewing" project. The PO had the upper deck completely replaced and took the new deck all the way back to the stern. He had Sunbrella curtain panels that were all moldy and with corroded zippers that were tearing out. I used them as patterns and replaced all seven with PVC. All panels are glued together like an inflatable boat and fasten together with Common Sense fasteners instead of zippers. Not a single stitch in the project. It makes a wonderful sun porch in the winter.

Another modification made by the PO is that the upper helm seats were joined (kind of hard to see in the picture but it's right behind the mast). That makes it necessary to step over the connection into a little cockpit for the seating. Apparently the reason was to accomodate a big built in ice box under the passenger and middle seat. How many cold drinks does one need at the upper helm?

Attachments

• Chiton stern.jpg
    Chiton stern.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 21
On a previous boat we had a transom gate like yours. I took a photo and measurements and sent them to a sign company. They made the name fit so that the letters didn’t break on the door edges. Looked great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom