View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #14
jhall767

City: Middle River MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Hoby wrote;
“In a marine application where the intention is to run at trawler speeds, I wouldn't be too worried about the "gutless" part but I am definitely concerned about reliability and parts availability.“

If a boat is a trawler and designed as a trawler the engine load shouldn’t be less than other trawlers. But so many trawlers were overpowered many to most are running around at 1/3 output. Or less.

But if a boat is repowered the opportunity to choose the right amount of power to allow the boat to then operate at 50 to 60% output presents itself. If one shops wisely an engine that presents minimal adaptive problems will easy to not that hard to find.

The bigger the engine the more it costs .. not only to buy but to operate. And most of the time it will burn less fuel especially if it’s a new or newer engine.

Seems a no brainer to me.
I agree. but a 10M boat with twin 170hp diesels should run on plane at 20 knots or so. So is it really a trawler or not? For displacement speed a single 170 hp is way more than is needed.

A lot of older boats end up as "Trawlers" because of engine problems or owner worries.
jhall767 is offline   Reply With Quote