What the Heck??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
Heard something small fall to the floor in the stateroom during the night. In the morning I found this "thingee" on the floor. Any ideas where this could have come from or what it is? It sure has me mistified.

Attachments

• Thingee.jpg
    Thingee.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 182
Apparently there are apps that help to identity things by taking a picture. You may want to try that but I suspect this is so odd it may not be recognized. btw, is it solid or can it be compressed?

How big is it? Nothing to scale to.

Apparently there are apps that help to identity things by taking a picture. You may want to try that but I suspect this is so odd it may not be recognized. btw, is it solid or can it be compressed?

Looks like is is spring loaded, maybe???

I don't know what it did on your boat, but I recognize that thing from inside a telescoping closet pole or telescoping (spring-loaded) shower rod, or curtain rod.

Below are two photos to give perspective. Yes it does compress. There are no markings on it at all.

Attachments

• IMG-2135.jpg
    IMG-2135.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG-2135 (1).jpg
    IMG-2135 (1).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 91
Okay, I'll play.

Looks to be from a sliding cabinet door, to prevent it from slamming loudly and abruptly when being opened fully. If you have sliding cabinet doors, there should be one at top and bottom...does one of them stop at an angle when opened all the way?

Nope, no sliding doors or cabinet doors. Nothing like that behind cabinet drawers either. I'm stumped. And as I said it just appeared on the floor in the AM. Weird for sure.

I don't know what it did on your boat, but I recognize that thing from inside a telescoping closet pole or telescoping (spring-loaded) shower rod, or curtain rod.

Don't have anything like that either.

Where did you find it, near the closet, bed?

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. OC. I think he said stateroom floor and he heard it drop so it must have been at some height (6" to 5'? depending on the acuity of his hearing).

We heard something hit the floor during the night. In the monring it was just lying on the floor in front of the bed.

I know that if I toss it out the purpose it was intended for will appear within 48 hours.

End cap for a curtain rod?

We don't have curtain rods.

The round protuberance on the end looks like it should fit into something while the square on the end looks like it should fit over something.

That's very obviously the rare Z-Spring Fish (see chart below - 4th from the left on top).

The compressible nature of the skeleton allows for very efficient propulsion without having to have fins.

They are quite small, and usually only range from 1-4 inches in length.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-21 172749.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-21 172749.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 66
Oh no...what do I feed it?

I think it ‘lives‘ between your ensuite bathroom door and the set of cupboards which the door latches onto when it is open. Without that squishy spring thing there, that door will rattle on the hook latch with the slightest ocean movement.

I say this because my GB does not have that squishy thing, and if I leave the ensuite door latched open at night I have to stuff a pair of socks between the door and the cupboard to stop the rattle.

Just a thought.

Hamish.

Nope, no sliding doors or cabinet doors. Nothing like that behind cabinet drawers either. I'm stumped. And as I said it just appeared on the floor in the AM. Weird for sure.

Ok, I will confess that I threw it in just to confuse and confound you.

I think it ‘lives‘ between your ensuite bathroom door and the set of cupboards which the door latches onto when it is open. Without that squishy spring thing there, that door will rattle on the hook latch with the slightest ocean movement.

I say this because my GB does not have that squishy thing, and if I leave the ensuite door latched open at night I have to stuff a pair of socks between the door and the cupboard to stop the rattle.

Just a thought.

Hamish.

Good thought but nope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll venture a WAG: the square end goes around a batten on the back side of your headliner to keep it taught...

Something that is telescopic such as a telescopic rod or table leg that extend. what you have there is the inside mechanism of the button that you push to extend the leg or rod or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom