Old 10-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
boathealer
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorn View Post
Up and coming owner here, new to the forum but you all seem like aUp group to bounce ideas off of and get great feedback, so thank you all in advance.

Our main quandary is which boat to focus our search upon and the upsides and downsides of both.

My wife and I are going to do The Loop in the next year or so and will be purchasing our first >28 boat to do it in over the next 0-6 months.

We have been looking at a really nice Hatteras 40DC and a couple of solid Krogen Manatee 36's.

Quick questions:

1) According to the Hatteras guy the twins running at 8 knots required approx. 10 gph which is hard to believe but I'm willing to believe if I can understand how. Krogen 90 hp is about 6 gph at 8 knots I believe.

2) Based #1 we wonder how much it will set us back in fuel Hat vs Manatee for the approx. 5,600 miles, we figure $24k for the Hat and $6k for the Krogen at 8 knots and $4/gallon diesel but any ideas?

3) To those that have done this trip, what are your thoughts about the living space for this trip, we might have the occasional guest but generally just the two of us and our little dog for the loop.
  • So are we crazy to even think the 36' could be viable?
  • Are the fuel numbers from the owner even possible?
  • Resale potential after the loop better for one over the other?
  • Should we be looking at some other models with the understanding that this is going to be a looper for now and upgrading to a liveaboard eventually if we like it.
Thank you for any insights and I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Take care, stay well,
Dan
My wife and I have been full-time liveaboards on our N37 for over two years. PLENTY of room for us and an occasional guest or two.

We average ~3.5mpg at 7mph (data averaged over 1800nm)
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote