For Mainship Pilot 30 owners. Dripless bellows replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adornato

Vessel Name
Sarah McLean
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot
Looking for any experience in replacing PSS dripless packing bellows on my
Mainship 30.

Specifically any experience on the hours required and whether or not the fuel tank had to be moved.

It seems like it is wayyyy under there and very inaccessible. PSS wants to replace every 6 years! Mine is probably older than 10 years but looks ok.

Nonetheless probably needs re doing. Not by me, though.

hi,

can't comment on the pss in the 30 pilot. we have a 34 pilot. we had the tides seal replaced last year. it was 17 years old. honestly, bellows looked in great shape. we have pss on another boat and they're 10 years old. i don't plan on replacing anytime soon. both tides and pss talk about commercial boats that have been in continuous use for 20 years. i think wear on the carbon disk is the wear issue you need to keep in mind.

disclaimer: this is my opinion.

I just purchased a 1998 Pilot 30. It is currently hauled for bottom paint, transducer install (through hull), and to renew the packing and bellows. I decided to just use standard teflon packing instead of a dripless box. It just didn’t seem worth the extra money to me, YMMV.

I recently installed Western Pacific Trading’s Dripless Moldable Packing system on a sailboat with a 1” shaft and a 20 HP Kubota diesel that cruises at 2500 RPM. It’s installed like a peanut butter sandwich with the moldable putty surrounded by a single synthetic packing loop at both ends. It will operate up to a max stuffing box temperature of 140F. At 3000 RPM I measured 110F with a thermal gun. Less than 20 hours with it but my bilge is dry. They make kits for different shaft sizes and can be found at the standard marine stores for <$100.

FYI, the 30 Pilot II does not have the shaft seal hidden under a tank as the 30 Pilot apparently has. It is quite clear of obstructions and easily accessed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom