Surprise when boat was hauled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
We had the boat hauled for winter today and I found about 6' of line wrapped around the shaft. We never had vibration or noticed any change so I don't think there was any harm as i was not tightly wound and came off pretty easy.

Also any thought why there would be loads of barnacles on just the port side (rudder, trim tab etc)?

I scraped most of the barnacles off so no pics. It is the side that gets more sun. Seemed like more barnacles than usual this year.

We had the boat hauled for winter today and I found about 6' of line wrapped around the shaft. We never had vibration or noticed any change so I don't think there was any harm as i was not tightly wound and came off pretty easy.

Also any thought why there would be loads of barnacles on just the port side (rudder, trim tab etc)?

Is the side that had the rope the one with fewer barnacles? If so, perhaps the trailing rope knocked some off?

Ken

Single screw so line would not have scraped off one side and not the other. Same bottom paint. Only barnacles were on metal parts, skeg, trim tabs, rudder, shaft.

We were traveling through the Trent Severn Waterway about 5 years ago. One lake was just completely clogged with weeds. Every 5 minutes you would have to stop and give a shot of reverse to clean off the weeds. The day before a 42’ got stuck and couldn’t move. They sent in a towboat in and they overheated and seized the towboats engine. We had some vibrations the next day so I assumed that we had dinged a prop. Called and scheduled a haul out in a couple of days travel. We got to the Big Chute lock, not really a lock but a marine railway, and I asked them to look at my props. He said the props were fine but we had a huge ball of weeds on the port shaft. They stopped in a special place that they could reach the shaft and took about 3 5 gallon buckets full of weeds off the shaft. That fixed the vibration so I called back and thanked them and told them I was going to call the main operation center and give them an atta boy. They said no don’t do that because they were not supposed to clean weeds off props and shafts. So I thanked them again because they saved me a haul out.

You may want to get a mask and wetsuit if needed and visually check periodically. Before dropping a mooring or pulling anchor it’s a check list item for me after wrapping up a stray lobster trap line once, and where we travel some very big kelp stringers that can be 20 ft long and 6 ft thick.

You may have picked the line up in the marina. I have seen that happen on several occasions.

While hauled out check continuity between the trim tabs and rudder. If one side has continuity and is better connect the other or vice versus. Most builders do not bond trim tabs but you never know...

Line was fairly weathered and worn. If it was black I would guess it came from the POS boat that was next to me this year.

Could have sucked it up recently, felt no vibration or other performance issue so believe this was the case. There is not much shaft area on our boat so would likely not noticed. Will have it checked just to be sure (have 6 months).

I have a GOPro on a bent rod. I scan the prop and rudder often.

We were doing a joint training exercise with the CG and the Navy. The CG was maintaining an exclusionary zone around the Navy ships and we were the terrorists. We noticed that the CG was chasing the terrorists boat up their wakes so we trailed some black poly line off some fishing line. The CG boat chased us and promptly fouled their props. They were not happy but they stopped chasing boats up the wake.

We were doing a joint training exercise with the CG and the Navy. The CG was maintaining an exclusionary zone around the Navy ships and we were the terrorists. We noticed that the CG was chasing the terrorists boat up their wakes so we trailed some black poly line off some fishing line. The CG boat chased us and promptly fouled their props. They were not happy but they stopped chasing boats up the wake.
Whale Wars.....lol

I'd say that you're lucky that the line didn't cause more problems, wrapped lines can be bad news. We installed line cutters on our shafts due to the number of people we know that have ended up with crab pot lines on their shafts. Not a clue on barnacles, I'd wonder if my painter was running low on paint on the port side!

Play d'eau suffers from more growth on her stbd side. Why? The sun can shine on the stbd side but not the port. Why? A cliff to port is in the way.

We always have more issues with growth on the starboard side at the waterline. I have attributed it to the growth on the dock that is on the starboard side as well as it only gets a little bit of morning sun in southwest Florida. No science to it just my observations. I recently bought an ice chipper (shipped to Florida. Bet the seller was amused) and cleaned the dock as best I could to see if that helps. Currently out for bottom paint and will observe over the next year or so to see if any difference with a cleaned dock.

John

Slowmo the painter was my wife and is quite thorough. We have a very short shaft which likely helped, as stated previously it was not on real tight so may have been a recent pick up. We do get more sun on the port side at the dock so perhaps that was it. Next year I will put the gear on and check it often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom