Morse Engine Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
General aviation has managed to live without them. Start the engine, the prop turns. You better have your feet on the brakes. (Hand prop a few times and you'll develop a new appreciation for brakes)

Could you tell me where the foot brake is on a boat?

located in a medial position between left ear and right ear. (in most people)

Good answer - from a fellow who must never, ever make a mistake! And, therefore needs no built in safety precautions... whatsoever!!

Go forth and prosper!!!

Safety is as safety does. Why do you thing cars/trucks have a "start only" safety switch for in park or neutral?

I just went out and started my car in every gear. I think all my vehicles, especially my trucks, have been the same. I don't have "park," but my wife's car does. Must be a safety feature on women's cars.

I just went out and started my car in every gear. I think all my vehicles, especially my trucks, have been the same. I don't have "park," but my wife's car does. Must be a safety feature on women's cars.

There you go. Glad you realize what the difference between standard and automatic transmissions. At least I think you do?? Bet your wife does!! LOL

:dance:

I'd rather be boating... :speed boat:

It was disconnected on my boat, apparently years ago. I've been wondering whether to hook it back up. I've never had one before and didn't miss it. Why would anyone, other than a fool, need one?
In Canada it is the law I understand in US it is not

On a high power boat...I get it ....but even if I start my trawler in gear, single 120 Lehman at half throttle (if it even starts up there in gear) barely moves for a couple seconds and certainly no jump....

Not likely some one is underneath the back of the boat near props harm when I need to start in a hurry.

Mine was disconnected before I bought the boat and no rason to hook it up since. The insurance company has never asked...nor 2 surveys.

I found this Post, but I’m having a hard time hunting for info on taking slack out of my Morse control Dual station cables. It’s hard to find neutral and No discernible detent. Tough when docking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

When we rebuilt OZ, we added a screwed on plate to the Morse shifter with a hole in it for each position that gave us the detents. Google Morse shifter detent plates.

Tator

I found this Post, but I’m having a hard time hunting for info on taking slack out of my Morse control Dual station cables. It’s hard to find neutral and No discernible detent. Tough when docking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I recommend taking off the shifter controls cover and seeing if something has come loose, broken or in general gone arie.

Also check the cable end hook up at transmission. Sounds as though in one or both those locations something is loose.

Between those locations all there is is bendable but rigid cable.

Another thought is the cable itself in some relatively sharp bend area that has a "keeper" that held it firmly in position. The cable itself may be flexing too much while it relays shifter to trany torque.

Good luck!

What law would that be?
When I bought the new control the Neutral switch is not included but an option, - that if installed in Canada (I was informed by my Supplier) had to be purchased and installed as a safety measure - If I had an accident due to starting in gear I felt was not the time for me to find out whether or not this is correct. It is my belief that it is. - and thus the reason it is an option for boats shipped to Canada as a new boat for sale as our boat was. It is my understanding that this requirement is not necessary in the USA

Back
Top Bottom