Fuel Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
We are still hell bent on simplifying our boating so as to need less physical strength (including our backs).

We have resolved the dinghy retrieval issue. Now onto refueling the dinghy.

We always have a couple of standard gas cans on board for the dinghy. To date we have just loaded a can aboard and taken the dinghy ashore where it is more stable and hefted the can and poured into the dinghy's fuel tank.

Has anyone used a manual fuel pump to do this transfer? I am thinking that both the can and the dinghy can stay on the boat deck and makes everything simpler and less stressful on old bodies. Plus less risk of spillage.

Like some of these:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...ansfer-lubrication+fuel-hand-pumps+drum-pumps

Just buy a few tanks with the right quick connect and you just swap tanks.

search "gasoline transfer pump" on ebay.
Lots of pumps, 12v, 120v, hand pumps, etc.

Maybe something like this on Amazon.

GasTapper 12V Gasoline Transfer Pump/Siphon UTV's, Boats, Equipment, Vehicles, Gas, Diesel - USA Built

Just buy a few tanks with the right quick connect and you just swap tanks.

Right now the dinghy has an internal tank.

The one we just ordered has the external.

However you would still have to heft the external tank into the dinghy and into the locker. Plus on our three month trips we would need more than one refill.

Our plan would be to have the two six gallon tanks strapped on the boat deck and fill them when at the fuel dock. Then just slide one over and use the pump to transfer. I would like a pump with caps at the end of the hoses if I can.

Put the dingy in the water so it is lower than the tanks and use a simple hand siphon pump. No work or sparks involved.

Put the dingy in the water so it is lower than the tanks and use a simple hand siphon pump. No work or sparks involved.

That would be a twelve feet drop!

That would be a twelve feet drop!

A good siphon hose is great. With a 12 foot drop just use a smaller diameter hose to limit the flow.

Gravity is very reliable. It never breaks down.

I siphon into my tank with an outboard engine squeeze ball rig. Put a shut off near the end so you can shut off when the dinghy tank is full.

Friend of mine used one of those jiggler hoses for his diesel for his boat. It worked quite well. As long as the jug is higher than the intended tank it will work. If there is a high lift to get the downward flow it just takes more jiggling.

The engine can will be under a dinghy seat. Since the source can will be on the deck it will always be lower than the can I am filling.

I am struggling to see how launching the dinghy into the water and tying it off, then lowering a long syphon hose into it as it moves with any wave action, could be simpler that using a hand pump that means no lifting or moving of anything other than sliding the source can to near the dinghy while on the boat deck. Something like this battery powered one - though I'm not a sure 40" discharge is long enough. I'll measure tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/Second-Gen-T...er+pump&qid=1603157358&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom