Strangers getting on my boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it comes down to whether it's informational, or the subject of news. So a picture of someone accused of a crime I think would clearly be news/informational. They are the news. But a picture of a person in the street in an article about homelessness I think would require a release from the person. Their image may be supportive of the news article, but they are not individually the subject of the article. Then a bit different again if it's a picture of three people in a public protest, or probably even a single person in a protest. In that case their actions are individually and collectively the subject of the news. But lots of gray area, I'm sure.

As a disclaimer, I'm not an lawyer. But I spent a fare amount of time in photography where this was a common topic, and something photographers need to be very aware of and careful about.

I agree with your summary and that there are many gray areas, but think even your homeless example would likely fall under the terms of Fair Use. If the subject of the informational piece is homelessness, and the photo is of people living under a bridge, it would seem that Fair Use applies. The notion that individuals would have to provide consent if they are intentionally or unintentionally part of a legitimate news photo would make news gathering impossible. The murk only gets deeper with websites.

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/releases/when/

Just about every day, we see videos of break-ins, robberies and assault ....
The stations are not sued for airing these videos.

A few years back, a neighbor had all his electronics updated....
Within a few days, his alarm went off, he went to the boat.
Seems an unknown man went to his boat with the necessity tools to remove all his brand new electronic. Well, the owner got some real nice pics of the man's face and tool bag but the local auditable alarm scared the thief off before he stole the electronics.
The owner reported it to the police, providing a number of pictures etc. The owner posted the picture at the marina office and some of the local pawn shops. Alas the thief was never caught.
We all think there may have been a connection between the installer and the thief but could never prove it.
According to the discussed guidelines, the thief did not give permission for his picture to be taken or posted in various places.

This thread has gotten off topic. The original post was how to handle people getting on your boat with out permission. A subsequent post suggested taking pictures of the offending people and posting them online.

I believe the best course of action is ask the people to get off the boat. You can choose to do it nicely or not. If you don’t feel safe then do it from a distance. If you feel it’s necessary to take their picture just in case, then do it. If you are on board and down below sleeping and come out with ‘guns a blazing” that’s your choice. Just remember what ever you do, you will have to deal with the consequences.

Is it ok to walk up to someone’s house and sit on there porch, open the gate or hop the fence and go into the back yard and relax on the lawn furniture, or open the door and enter? Is it ok to get it a strangers car or even sit on it? As far as I am concerned the same goes for a boat.

Just my opinion

Last edited:
There is a big difference in #1 being armed or emerging with a gun.. and #2-pointing a gun at someone or shooting them .
In some cases #1 is smart or cautious and #2 is just plain stupid.
Hollywood

#1 is the fastest possible path to #2.

(On that note, a friendly reminder) The entire line of discussion is the fastest path to getting this thread closed. We all acknowledge that a gun is one possible approach to defending ones person or personal property. However, regardless of whether the municipality, state or Federal government allows them, discussion of guns on this forum is prohibited.

I was never surprised, but always upset when I would return to my bike in a parking lot to find a family onboard taking kid pics. My concern has always been, as BandB said, about teaching respect; particularly when dad sits on the bike with junior between his legs, little feet thumping the tank.

My other concern would be the still hot engine and pipes.

This isn’t a new thing though. Growing up on the coast, often people would traipse through our property to get to the beach for clams and oysters. Their usual claim when challenged, was; “the beach is public.” Our old man, being who he was, would make it very clear, our land wasn’t and they were not going back the way they came.

This is the same with nice cars. People leaning on or touching while getting their photo taken. A couple years ago at our company car show I walked up behind a young Indian engineer with his hand on a very nice Jag E type convertible. I asked "Is this your car?" in a very pleasant voice. He said "No, I wish." My reply in a very stern tone that could be heard a couple cars away was "Then get your hands off it". You should have seen him jump back.

The great thing is its a personal choice. I might feel the same way had I never been in the position of needing to be armed and not be. There are a lot of people in this world that believe your life means nothing.
Hollywood

??

Attachments

• E921055A-380C-4588-8E1F-DADF1A573792.jpg
    E921055A-380C-4588-8E1F-DADF1A573792.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 32
Most people respect private property. Not based on any law but more importantly lessons and upbringing as youth in family setting. So respect for others property, no longer universal today. It's good idea to plan for the opposite.

Really bad manners.

"Do you mind if we take a photo by your boat" would have got the OK from us.

One solution is to have a small sign made and hang it from the rail nearest the entry point by the dock - "warning, rails electrified when owners not on board."

LOL! This reminds me of when I towed my Pantera on a trailer from Tx to Wa at about the time that Back to the Future was in the theaters. I was very concerned that it might get tampered with while parking overnight at roadside motels along the 3,500 route.

I fashioned a warning sign that I can't remember exactly but along the lines of: Warning Electric Shock Hazard!!! Fluxgate capacitors are charged.
Please do not touch any metal part of vehicle.

Either I was overly paranoid, or it worked very well! The car and I arrived unmolested in Wa after a 3.5 day drive.

Do what Joshua Slocum did when anchored in "unusual" places, spread tacks on the deck...

Tried that in Sicily in a very sketchy harbor (and I don't think Joshua actually did!) they leave dozens of rust marks after only one night. ~A

I was never surprised, but always upset when I would return to my bike in a parking lot to find a family onboard taking kid pics. My concern has always been, as BandB said, about teaching respect; particularly when dad sits on the bike with junior between his legs, little feet thumping the tank.....
And ready to sue you in a heartbeat if the bike falls over and crushes the kid.
The traditional "Permission to come Aboard?" says it all. No permission, no boarding. Trouble is, non boating people don`t know about that.

Tried that in Sicily in a very sketchy harbor (and I don't think Joshua actually did!) they leave dozens of rust marks after only one night. ~A

That's because you didn't use BOAT TACKS, designed for maritime use! Available from West Marine for the low LOW price of $34.99 for a 12 pak . . . plus $16.99 shipping and handling!:D

This happened in Canada. We don`t carry guns here LOL
Liz
I missed your original post and catching up.
In your case the sign might read...
Security provided by guard dogs!
Lost track - how have your adventures been going other than the boarding?
I think I would have confronted them in front of the kids. That seems to make an impression when mom & dad get chewed out for misbehaving?
Maybe even take a photo of them when I return and tell them it was to file a police report!

Last edited:
It is very much a cultural thing.

Most posters think it is rude and disrespectful. Not everyone does. Some think the owner is rude and disrespectful when they get upset about it.

Some cultures take a much more sharing approach. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

It is very much a cultural thing.

Most posters think it is rude and disrespectful. Not everyone does. Some think the owner is rude and disrespectful when they get upset about it.

Some cultures take a much more sharing approach. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

and if I went into their houses, they will be respectful to me? I doubt that very much.

and if I went into their houses, they will be respectful to me? I doubt that very much.

Well actually, that pretty much was/is the custom in Ireland. Brief knock on the door and a greeting and step in to chat.

When I was young we lived aboard in a marina in Coconut Grove, Florida. To date myself, this was in the 1960's. One day a couple walked down the dock, stpped to look at our boat and then stepped aboard. My parents were shocked but somehow held their composure and let them look around. During the conversation they somehow got the strangers name and address. The next weekend my parents went to that address, walked in and looked around the stranger's house with plenty of "oh, isn't that cute" comments on the decor. I think those people might have learned something and it was a good cocktail story for my parents for years afterwards. Of course these days there would be gunfire...

Folks that do not know better can easily be scared off with noise.

There are door mats that will trip a relay which could turn on deck lights or simply blow a horn. Modern auto alarm relays have adjustable time periods , so it will only blow for the time you set , ONE min is a long time.

Not normal at all. I had a group of teenagers board my 36 footer at 3am. They were Drunk and not thinking clearly. I told them to get off my boat. They thought this was a discussion and started to say they were just looking around.... I told them that had a gun in my pocket. I told them that once I pulled my weapon the shooting started and the talking stopped. The quickly left and apologized once we tracked them down from the cameras at the marina the next day.

Usually does the trick.

I was thinking afterwards of a sign that read: Warning Big Black Dog can't hold his licker :lol:

An empty glass is a good hint he is not in a good mood.

Attachments

• 85B93792-BEEC-47A5-913D-A6A00ECE7C30.jpeg
    85B93792-BEEC-47A5-913D-A6A00ECE7C30.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 32
Security Sign

Just post a sign indicating boat is monitored by a covert security camera.

Absolutely no one should board a vessel without permission. That is trespassing. I have had it happen to me by vendors and brokers wanting to leave business cards. I responded with stern written warnings every chance I could. Inviting people onboard has inherent risks. If someone is invited onboard you must warn them of all known dangers. Even if you do so it does not preclude a potential claim. In most jurisdictions you cannot use lethal force to protect property. If your life is threatened most jurisdictions allow you to use lethal force. Learn the laws of the jurisdiction you are in. Failing to do so may result in criminal prosecution, a denial of coverage from your insurance company if a liability issue arises and, even if you are covered, protracted litigation that can exhaust you and resources. It is human nature to "fight" when one feels threatened. Train for such encounters. Make a plan and follow it every time someone boards without permission, especially in the wee hours of the morning when you were fast asleep and may be fogged when you respond. This is how the professionals handle it. Flatter them with imitation and you may not get injured stumbling around in the dark or into a dangerous situation on deck. The incident described is becoming more common as people respect boundaries and property rights less than many of us were raised to do. Train for the inevitable. Rest easier. Avoid mistakes. Shooting a drunk wanting a selfie would be a very bad thing to do even if it does not result in prosecution. Suffering a fractured hip, sprained ankle or head injury because of lack of training is regrettable.

Actually, in many parts of the world you would have trouble leaving without joining them for a meal.

The entire planet does not have the same culture as the US.

unwelcome guests

Hello All,

Something happened over the weekend and I'm looking for some feedback as to what I should have done at the time.

I was tied up at the Fenelon Falls lock, which is on the Trent Severn system here in Ontario, for a couple of nights before taking Arrow Naut to the marina for the haulout etc.

It was Thanksgiving here in Canada so there were lots of people around fishing and strolling up and down the locks. On Tuesday morning as I was getting ready to leave, I took my two dogs off the boat for their last "business" trip. As I stepped off the boat, I saw a family standing down the dock watching me. It was a mother, father and 2 teenagers. They definitely saw me get off the boat with my dogs. I walked past them, smiled and we exchanged a good morning.

The dogs and I wandered up the path and steps to the top of the locks so I could also put the last of my garbage in a bin. As I got to the top, I glanced back just in time to see the mother step onto my boat so that her husband could take a photo.

I stood in stunned amazement. I was about 200 feet away and it was windy so I knew they wouldn't hear if I called out. As I stood watching, one of the teenagers looked up and saw me staring. She turned and said something to her parents. The mother looked up at me and then stepped off my boat. Her husband then had his photo taken holding onto the side rail. Then the daughter had her photo taken sitting on the side of my boat. The other daughter respectfully stood beside my boat but didn't touch it. She was the one who saw me staring.

As I have only been boating since June, is this a normal thing? If not, what should I have done? Walk back and politely explain that I wasn't happy with them just getting onto my boat without permission?

Thoughts?

I live in nj and that's why I keep a hammer handle on the boat !!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is unfortunate this thread shows this is a common problem. I have had similar issues with my muscle cars when they are parked in public spaces. I have security cameras on my boat, I can view them at any time and have them set up for motion and noise alerts on my phone. There is also two way audio, you can use it to alert anyone that their presence is not welcome or to speak to your pet cat or dog if you wish. Did I mention they are dirt cheap. Wifi or Cell connectivity. Motion activated lights are a plus too

Of those that have had people board the boat without permission, how many have chains/lifelines/gates that must be moved in order to board? Has anyone experienced people boarding even with those types of safety barriers in place?

It seems like a chain drawn across stanchions would prevent most casual boarders, but maybe not?

One afternoon 2-3 years ago, I was looking at a boat for sale in Chula Vista Marina in San Diego. As I was walking the dock, I noticed Tanglewood (twistedtree's Nordhavn) was tied up at the end of the row. I certainly didn't board, but I did stop for a minute to look at it, having recognized it from the blog I'd been reading online.

Back
Top Bottom