DTOPS Decal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Well I paid the $30 for this years and never got to use it.

Just renewed for next year's decal, here's wishing!

Same boat for 2020. I decided to wait on the 2021 decal. :(

Thing that pissed me off is, I got a notice from them that the decal would be going up in price. Got the notice about Oct 10. Price went up Oct 1. Thanks for that notice! I'm going to wait as well.....

Thing that pissed me off is, I got a notice from them that the decal would be going up in price. Got the notice about Oct 10. Price went up Oct 1. Thanks for that notice! I'm going to wait as well.....

I looked at last years price - it went up less than 50c.

I think last year 29.47, this year 29.95.

I get mine in February. It's kind of a ceremonial starting point for us and the beginning of preparing for the up coming summer cruise.

OK, here's a dumb question from a brand new boater--what is the DTOPS Decal, and what does it do?

OK, here's a dumb question from a brand new boater--what is the DTOPS Decal, and what does it do?

It is a U.S. Boarder tax.

For $29.95 you get a niffty sticker to display in your boat window when you cross boarder back to the USA.

Sorry for the bad pic

Attachments

• IMG_8708.jpg
    IMG_8708.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 37
You need the sticker number for CBP ROAM app but don't need the actual sticker unless you are going to the customs dock

So if/when they open the boarder, make the run north before they change their minds. Then go online, buy the sticker and enter the numbers in the ROAM phone app. Use ROAM to clear customs when coming back.

This is how we do this in Salish Sea.

Who are these boarders and why are we murdering them?

You need the sticker number for CBP ROAM app but don't need the actual sticker unless you are going to the customs dock

So if/when they open the boarder, make the run north before they change their minds. Then go online, buy the sticker and enter the numbers in the ROAM phone app. Use ROAM to clear customs when coming back.

This is how we do this in Salish Sea.

I believe most of us had to do that last year because of the government shut down where it took up to six months to get a number - just go and receive an email with the number while away.

It is supposed to be a use fee for using the border service. Since I didn't get to use it this year, they really should refund, or make it valid for next year as well. I'll even give them the extra 47 cents.

I received this email this morning:

2021 Decal/Transponder Renewal Reminder

donotreply@dhs.gov <donotreply@dhs.gov>
To:
undisclosed-recipients@cbp.dhs.gov

Thu, Oct 22 at 8:29 AM

2021 Renewals are now available!

To complete the order online use our secure online ordering system DTOPS (Decal and Transponder Online Procurement System) at https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov.

*NOTICE* DTOPS User Fees are increasing, effective 10/1/2020. All orders placed on or after this date will pay the new fee amount.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Renovaciones para el 2021 ya están disponibles!

Para realizar una orden pueden usar DTOPS ( Decal and Transponder Online Procurement System ) nuestro sistema seguro para procesar ordenes vía internet en https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov.

*AVISO* La tarifa para los usuarios de DTOPS va incrementar, efectivo 10/01/2020. Todas las ordenes realizadas en o después de esta fecha pagaran la nueva tarifa.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
User Fee Decal and Transponder Program
Phone: 317-298-1245
Fax: 317-290-3219
decals@cbp.dhs.gov

Here's hoping we get to use the 2021 sticker!

We also paid for the annual WA State Parks Mooring Permit and only used it a couple of times. Granted, that was our decision as the parks re-opened in early Summer. It's just that they were so much more crowded than usual, we didn't even make it up to the San Juans. First time in more than 8 years! Of course, there's still a few months left in the year, so we may get up there at some point after all...

Here's hoping we get to use the 2021 sticker!

We also paid for the annual WA State Parks Mooring Permit and only used it a couple of times. Granted, that was our decision as the parks re-opened in early Summer. It's just that they were so much more crowded than usual, we didn't even make it up to the San Juans. First time in more than 8 years! Of course, there's still a few months left in the year, so we may get up there at some point after all...
Same...I renewed DTOPS and we do pay for the parks permit. Even though we don't use mooring balls or docks (for the big boat) we do use the trails and take our dog to shore so it's only fair that we pay for our usage!

-tozz

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom