General Insurance Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
We are tied up at Morningstar Marina in St Simons ( which I still call Golden Isles Marina!).

There are a good number of beautiful boats here clearly secured for the long term. We are next to a newish Nordhavn 57.

I suspect some or many of them have to be out of Florida until November due to insurance reasons.

Which got me to wondering. Can you get full 12 month insurance coverage for Florida if you accept that there will not be named storm coverage during hurricane season?

I'm thinking there are plenty of nice cruising areas in central and north Florida where you can get over over Alabama or Georgia border in plenty of time.

The rules have changed a little recently with some insurance provider consolidations. Ace use to draw the line at the FL border and cover me in Fl except for named storms during hurricane season. Chubb now draws the line further North (I think somewhere between Savannah and Charleston) and no insurance at all below the line during hurricane season ( June 1st through November 1st). Bottom line, read your policy carefully!

Ted

New Hampshire said north of FL boarder no exceptions. If you made a claim that occurred in FL from 1 July to 1 Nov....my guess is they don't have to accept it even if not related to a named storm. Even out of the water in Indiantown, no dice. Though I can't say for sure you could get the exception to named storms, my broker didn't mention it as an option and he has always been good at offering options.

Geico BoatUS for just a little more money said anywhere any time is OK...just no liveaboard coverage.

Last edited:
"Geico BoatUS for just a little more money said anywhere any time is OK...just no liveaboard coverage."

We had BoatUS/Geico for the last two and a half years as liveaboards on a 52' trawler in the PNW. Boat sold earlier this month and we cancelled our coverage.

Is the PNW part of hurricane coverage areas?

We are tied up at Morningstar Marina in St Simons ( which I still call Golden Isles Marina!).

There are a good number of beautiful boats here clearly secured for the long term. We are next to a newish Nordhavn 57.

I suspect some or many of them have to be out of Florida until November due to insurance reasons.

Which got me to wondering. Can you get full 12 month insurance coverage for Florida if you accept that there will not be named storm coverage during hurricane season?

I'm thinking there are plenty of nice cruising areas in central and north Florida where you can get over over Alabama or Georgia border in plenty of time.

Yessir- some insurers are offering coverage in CAT (catastrophic damage) zones without wind coverage, or increased the wind deductible to 10% or more. Others have a hard line of demarcation in the policy that the vessel must be north of (FL/GA border, Cape Hatteras, or a specific latitude).

We did full year keys under policy. Includes 5 percent reduction damage claim if named storm damage during hurricane months.

We did full year keys under policy. Includes 5 percent reduction damage claim if named storm damage during hurricane months.

We live in Florida so have full year full coverage from T&C north.

That wasn't really what I was asking.

I was asking if an insurance company would offer year round coverage for a florida based boat at the same rate as the non hurricane period if the boater was OK with not having any named storm coverage at all during hurricane season.

Pay Hana is indicating that it is possible.

We live in Florida so have full year full coverage from T&C north.

That wasn't really what I was asking.

I was asking if an insurance company would offer year round coverage for a florida based boat at the same rate as the non hurricane period if the boater was OK with not having any named storm coverage at all during hurricane season.

Pay Hana is indicating that it is possible.

Very much so. The election of non-named windstorm coverage can very well be a premium saver (if the company offers it)- but it puts the risk of named windstorm damage directly on the insured.

Is the PNW part of hurricane coverage areas?

Well, in the PNW our winds are close or exceed a Gulf Hurricane, but we go out! When the wind and waves float homes off their foundations, PNWers go out.

We ain't scared of stinken little waves and winds.

Hey Admiral, please tie extra lines. The wake in the marina is way too danger to venture out!!:eek::D:dance:

Reread posts 3 and 4 to see why I asked.

Like many posts on tF...posting about your boat or situation may not have anything ot very little to do with the question.

Reread posts 3 and 4 to see why I asked.

Like many posts on tF...posting about your boat or situation may not have anything ot very little to do with the question.

Oh Psneed lighten up a bit and smile! Its OK buddy.

You do know there is a canal being built from LA to Texas right? Reroute the Colorado River.:dance:

Now back to our scheduled OP's question.

Oh Psneed lighten up a bit and smile! Its OK buddy.

You do know there is a canal being built from LA to Texas right? Reroute the Colorado River.:dance:

Now back to our scheduled OP's question.

Most of the time I read TF responses I am way past smiling, usually ROTFL..... :rofl:..

So true !!!:D

Believe me, I know you guys get blasted.

When stationed on Kodiak, AK....our skipper used to wince some days at the weather brief. We might have 3 low pressure areas in our area of operations all with winds exceeding hurricane force. ...AND Williwaw wind conditions throughout the Aleutians. He would laugh and comment how the skippers of Air Stations in Florida would be all riled up at having one headed their way and it even had a cute name. :D

Well, in the PNW our winds are close or exceed a Gulf Hurricane, but we go out! When the wind and waves float homes off their foundations, PNWers go out.

We ain't scared of stinken little waves and winds.

Hey Admiral, please tie extra lines. The wake in the marina is way too danger to venture out!!:eek::D:dance:

Ha ha, so true! I just meant that we don’t have wind storms that are called hurricanes and aren’t required to leave the area....but our mid-latitude cyclones can be doozies!

We get high winds here (west coast of Wash and BC) ???? When? :)

I am surprised!!

The above (substitute USCG for PNWers) quote was not called out!!! It actually came from a movie called "The Guardian!":dance::facepalm:

Had concepts special risk. They allowed you to be in the zone for an extra premium. Before them had Pantaenius same thing ok with extra premium. Both would pay for storm haul if you wanted it. Both increased the deductible during hurricane season. Still, would go to edge of zone, either 40N or 10N during the season to be able to run out of the zone if necessary.

We've had coverage with BoatUS for 30+ years on several boats. We have lived in Florida for over 20 years and have year round coverage including the Bahamas with BoatUS/GEICO.

In the South when the hurricanes are headed towards shore the Big Ships head out too. So how small of a pleasure trawler would the PNW boys head out in 90 kt winds with 30’ breaking waves? ?

Back
Top Bottom