Boat Name - Reason for yours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The PO owner’s name is William. The boat he has now is a 37’ Lord Nelson Tug named
John William .

Our boat was named for the former owner's wife so that had to go. Found the boat design at a boat show and then took another 2 years introducing my wife to the model in the water on 4 different boats with outboard/diesel I/O and different options. Finally on an overnight trip we found a very similar boat and the owners offered to take us for a ride which ended 6 hours later with new friends. Two days later we purchased our boat. I got to select the boat which my wife got to name....."Dream Come True".

Leonard

Osprey. Osprey are in abundance in our area, and are interesting birds to watch. My grandfather had a Roamer (28’? 30’?) with that name when I was a youngster. Also, my wife and I are both professional pilots, so the name fits.

Last edited:
Our boat was named by the previous owner who for a time, lived in Alaska. The name is Inuit. "Pilitak" means "useful but not necessary". We thought it really fit for a boat, and we have never heard of another boat with this name (at least not around here). So even though spelling is sometimes an issue, we kept it, also due to the many laughs we get when we meet new people on the water. After giving the meaning, my wife always says that "Pilitak" is another name for a husband, usually getting a laugh from the women. Then I follow up with: "At least she finds me useful", getting the men to laugh. :)
So for us, it is a fitting name that is really unique and no one else knows what it means until explained (at least I haven't met anyone who knows).

LUNSEA My wife said I was crazy for buying a boat, now she loves it :dance:

Our boat was named by the previous owner who for a time, lived in Alaska. The name is Inuit. "Pilitak" means "useful but not necessary"...

If we ever fall into a ridiculous amount of money, our 60' custom built power trimaran that can be easily beached might be called, Tiktaalik. That's an Inuktituk name given to a 375 million year old extinct fossilized critter found in Canada's Arctic...it's the first known fish with a 'neck' and four lobed appendages with basic wrist bones for moving about in shallow water and/or on land.

Last edited:
Amadon Light, according to previous owners, refers to legendary St Brendan the Navigator, an Irish priest who allegedly sailed a leather boat to Newfoundland in the seventh century and gave that name to the "green flash" at dawn and sunset. Amadon is a corruption of Gaelic "amadan" meaning fool or foolish, thus the elusive "fool's light." It's strange, obscure and apparently without documentation... but we like it! (If anyone can corroborate this, I'd love to hear from you.)

My late husband and I bought our first boat together before we got married. Both of us had strong ideas about what we wanted to with and what was needed on it...every discussion seemed to end with "It's Mine too!" So that's what we named the boat.

When he became terminally ill with bone cancer, we either had to upgrade to a boat with a lot more creature comfort or give up boating which he did not want to do. We found a SeaRay 340 Sundancer that filled the bill...now to find a name for it. And when I read the poem "INVICTUS" I knew it was the only thing we could name it. Most people know the last two lines...here's the whole poem:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
--William Ernest Henley

--Peggie

Thank you for that.

Chelsea Rose, my daughter’s name. Rose goes back four generations on my wife’s side.

Attachments

• 27CC37AD-5034-4D1C-993A-6818788D5363.jpeg
    27CC37AD-5034-4D1C-993A-6818788D5363.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 57
"Slow Hand " is a song first done by the Pointer Sisters. It spoke to me about being tired of "fast moves" and traveling at a slower more comfortable pace.

My new to me dinghy (Trinka 10) will likely be "End of The Line" by the "Traveling Wilburys". Lots of symbolism for traveling to the remote areas in skinny water and twilight of a long boating career.

Ted

When we were looking at boats we usually had several on the table at any one time. As we talked about them some were just the blue boat or the conversion (as in fishboat conversion) but most had some sort of an indentfier so we could talk about them w/o having to describe the boat.

We talked about Willy a lot and got there from the brand name Willard. I (or she) shortened it up once to Willy .. it was a natural. And so it was that we referred to her as Willy.

After the purchase we were still calling her Willy. We started feeling silly calling a boat by a man’s name. Previous names were Buddy, Pendragon and three other names we both thought were bad to terrible. For months we called our new to us boat Willy.

I’ve always thought a boats name should bring to the fore some part of her essence that set her apart from other boats. Built an OB cruiser named “Easy Rider” because the hull was designed (by me) to be easy riding. I loved the deep V hull but it required a lot of weight (for a planing hull) .. that and the steep deadrise made them very inefficient. So I set out to design a boat that was easy riding but efficient as well.

The naming came just after the movie Easy Rider so everyone thought the boat name was because of the movie. But I did name her Easy Rider before the movie came out.

The boat was a success but needed to be light to very light for good performance. So there was never another one built but I feel I named her right. The boat name was about the boat .... as it should be IMO.

Alzero: an Italian wine made by Giuseppe Quinterelli in Negrar just outside of Verona. It is also an Italian phrase translated as “Get Up!”. We don’t know why Bepe named his best wine that, but it has a nice ring to it.

It is also an antihistamine and I hope Big Pharma paid the family a ton of money to use their name!

Beach Music is a book written by the late Pat Conroy. He wrote The Prince of Tides and The Great Santini, among many others. Beach Music doesn't refer to actual music, but the sounds you hear when walking on the beach. Waves, birds, wind, sea creatures, you get the drift (pun). It was also one of my mothers favorite books.

I don't have a boat, but if I did, I'd name her, "Just Right." Fitting, due to much research, trial & error of different boats, etc.

I prefer a name that is not a mind puzzle for anybody reading it and easy to say on the VHF. Calypso was so named when new in 1972 and remained so when I bought it in 1986. It is for sale now by the current owner and still named the same.

Being just a play-in-the-bay boat named Stray Dog when I bought it, I gave consideration to no name at all once I removed the old name. A really good name (Ruby Cruiser) was suggested by my sister-in-law, and Splash was also considered, but Frolic, after the Naval Academy's Ludders Frolic-class yawls won out. So now we go for frolicking rather than boat riding.

HUNAKAI, Hawaiian meaning smallsea and/or seaspray among other meanings was the name before it became Soo Valley. A previous owner some 20+ years ago named her thus.

The Soo River flows through the Soo Valley
The Soo River is a tributary of the Green River in the Pacific Ranges of the Coast Mountains in British Columbia, Canada, joining that river just north of the Resort Municipality of Whistler. Approximately 35 kilometres long, it begins on the south flank of the Pemberton Icefield. It is a pristine wilderness that we know well having gone through that countryside many times.
I do not know why the name was chosen, I had thought of changing it just because and then the name grew on us so it will remain.

Seeadler is named for the last sailing warship. I know, might have looked better on a sailing vessel, but ...

In 1916, Korvettenkapitan Felix Graf von Luckner comissioned an interned American barque called Pass of Balmaha as the Seeadler and went to war on Great Britain and France. Luckner became known as the Kaiser's Pirate." In one year, he sank 19 ships without a single fatality. In the inter-war years, he was an international celebrity. Lowell Thomas wrote a hugely successful biography which I read in middle school kindling an enduring love of the sea and nautical literature.

If you have ever toured Balclutha at the San Francisco Maritime National Park, you have seen Seeadler; near identical...except for the guns, of course.

Attachments

• Luckner.png
    Luckner.png
    56 KB · Views: 272
  • SMSSeeadlerFront.jpg
    SMSSeeadlerFront.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 42
I envision you have a matching uniform.

And if you do, I hope you don't fall overboard. That's a chest full of medals.

No Worries....because when we are on the boat, all worries seem to disappear.

If this is Seeadler's wheel at the helm, I'm seriously jealous.

Attachments

• Rawson Wheel.jpg
    Rawson Wheel.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 45
WINTERLUDE

It was the boat's name when we bought it and we really liked it. Our old boats name, that we cleverly picked, never got any traction so we were not going to reuse that one.

The good thing is we have never encountered another boat with the same name and the other good, really good, thing is that the prior owner was a wonderfully nice guy and well known in the Bahamas so we have met a lot of very nice people that came looking for him when they saw our boat and name.

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_153533.jpg
    IMG_20200429_153533.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 44
Wife and I could NOT agree on a name and proclaimed that naming a boat was an f'in conundrum. In fact all things boat related are a a conundrum. Named the boat Conundrum!

I envision you have a matching uniform.

Well, I am entitled to wear the Good Conduct Medal and the American Defense Medal on my AG-44s, but the 31" waistline is gone forever.

Pfc W.T. Butler
9th Cavalry Alumni Assn.

Last edited:
In 1985 we bought our first “Dreamers Holiday”. Willie Nelson had just released his version of the classic song. We listened to it and thought it would be a great name for a boat. We’re on our third Dreamers Holiday.

Seeadler is named for the last sailing warship. I know, might have looked better on a sailing vessel, but ...

In 1916, Korvettenkapitan Felix Graf von Luckner comissioned an interned American barque called Pass of Balmaha as the Seeadler and went to war on Great Britain and France. Luckner became known as the Kaiser's Pirate." In one year, he sank 19 ships without a single fatality. In the inter-war years, he was an international celebrity. Lowell Thomas wrote a hugely successful biography which I read in middle school kindling an enduring love of the sea and nautical literature.

If you have ever toured Balclutha at the San Francisco Maritime National Park, you have seen Seeadler; near identical...except for the guns, of course.

After assembling a model of the Seeadler, I convinced my Dad to name his new 28-foot sailboat Seeadler, which we raced extensively in the 1960s.

Back
Top Bottom