Mobile AL-Panama Cannal-Portland OR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Has anyone ever been thru the canal? I am thinking (softly so the admiral won't hear me) of buying a 50' Marine Trader and bringing to the PNW via the canal.

Words of wisdom or opposition? Details?

Last year I went through the canal 4 times; line handler on 3 different boats and in October when we brought Hobo through. No problems on any of the transits. I have a post in the archives on 2 of the transits. I would suggest that you be a line handler on someone else's boat first just for the experience. It's not necessary but it helps reduce the pre-transit "jitters".

Good luck on the boat purchase.

Attachments

• Picture 707.jpg
    Picture 707.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 74
Thanks Larry. Yep that's the canal. Spent a lot of time there when I was in the military...

Has anyone ever been thru the canal? I am thinking (softly so the admiral won't hear me) of buying a 50' Marine Trader and bringing to the PNW via the canal.

Words of wisdom or opposition? Details?

Might want to think about a more stable capable boat for going up the West Coast. The West coast with it’s long fetch of the open Pacific Ocean and ports a hundred a miles apart. Moat boats that due the right side Inside passage are not the recommended boat for cruising up the West Pacific coast.

there is usually a wait going thorugh the canal so most will be a line handler for other boats to get the idea. You are required to have a person authorized on your boat as you go thorugh the canal, which take a lot of time and funds. I have not been through the canal but know commrcial captains that move boats around.

However, don’t be surprised if your SO buys a lot of live insurance on you and says I will meet you in Portland. :confused:

However, don’t be surprised if your SO buys a lot of live insurance on you and says I will meet you in Portland. :confused:

:ermm:

My SO already has a significant policy on me,so please don't tell her to send me north with hopes of collecting. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom