Old 10-17-2020, 11:42 PM   #3
JDCAVE
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It sounds like you drew the short straw on odd problems. Glad you are around, because I usually get that straw :-) But it sounds like you are doing the right things to trouble shoot the issue.

A few random thoughts:

- As I recall, them temp is displayed as some combination of a graph line on the ticker-tape bottom display, and a numeric value. Is anything visible and there is just a wacky value, or does it appear the device isn't even trying to display temp, which would suggest is things the info isn't present at all. The later is likely equivalent to the temp signal being open circuit (not connected).

Thanks TT. I spent most of the time with Furuno getting the DATA1 and DATA2 displays working with the "Mode" nob. The Temperature readout only displays dashes ---.---

Quote:
- I think the Airmar guy's suggestion is a good one, and should clearly indicate whether the FCV is seeing any signal. Don't feel you need a exactly 10k ohm resistor. If 18K equated to 53F, then anything in the 5-30k range should do the trick.
Yes, I understood that as well.

Quote:
- Did you old Ray setup have temp? If so, it might shed some light to apply the temp signal from the new transducer to the old display, and the only transducer to the new display, just to see if the temp problem follows the display or the transducer.
It did but it never worked. It's a nine-pin setup and the existing cable cannot be plugged in. I could do some sort of splice but...

Quote:
- If there was any way to borrow another transducer, you could plug that directly into the FCV to see if you get temp. There should be no need for it to be in the water for that to work. Or worst case, you could hang it over the side of the boat. If you are friendly with a local electronics shop, they might have something kicking around.
I'm going to work with the resistor first and then see where it goes. I might see if I could borrow a 628 Unit from Western Marine. So long as I bring it back. We've ascertained that the transducer is viable, at least according to the test I did with the Airmar Tech. In the end, it might be a warrenty issue with the Furuno Unit.

Quote:
- And just to confirm the cabling, the transducer has an integral cable with 10-pin connector. Then you have a Furuno 10-pin extension cable. And the extension cable plugs directly into the FCV
Yes. That is correct. Everything 10-pin.

Yes, TT, I have had my trials with the breakdowns this summer. None of them have been easy paths.

One other note. This is the only nav device connected to the N2K and then to the Nemo Gateway. I wonder if there is some sort of conflict from that. I shall look into that possiblity. I can always move the data stream to the Gateway with the vacant Nema 0183 port.

Jim
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote